How much respect do Cobras really get??

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
Like I care...I bought the car for me...not them. Makes me smile every time I drive it. I like corner carving the back roads and for me my Cobra's perfect for it.

I note most, if not all the comparisons, are against more expen$$$ive cars...says something right there. Anybody with more bucks can always buy more performance...but do they know how to use it?

+1, If you buy a car to showoff or for status then you bought it for the wrong reason. You should buy the car that makes you feel like a million bucks ( or close to it) The car that when you drive it makes you grin from ear to ear. ( In terms of buying your dream car )

Most people I think underestimate the Cobra, thinking just like another mustang as said, but usually get surprised by it and respects it then.

92z28

Established Member
I think most people who aren't into cars or Mustangs thinks it's just another Mustang. :shrug:

What he said. Anybody not into the "hobby" won't even know what in the hell an SVT Cobra is and if somebody can shell out the dough for something like a Z06 more often then not he could care less that "just another Mustang" blew past him on the freeway.

tankerman1981

Established Member
the only ppl that can respect a cobra are those who knows somewhat about cars... other than that they look at it and its just another loud mustang.... or as I get...its that older style mustang with a different hood...lol

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
doesn't matter what you drive, if you get smoked by another car, its a blow to your ego. yeah, he's going home in "X" and you drive "Y", but it still hurts to get smoked--whether its a cobra losing to a gutted out turbo rice rocket, or an exotic losing to a cobra, the driver of the losing car cares about the outcome, or they wouldn't have raced in the first place. take it for what it's worth. and many people have absolutely no idea what the cobra is. because my 270rwhp foxes are loud as hell, my neighbors assume they are much faster than my 600rwhp cobra, which is very quiet and has no exterior mods at all

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
no, it doesn't

It was more of a joke but if you want to put it into perspective then fine.

Griggs GT500 at 3892lbs

60-0 96ft
80-0 155ft

Runs 2:06s at VIR

Pulled 1.27Gs on the street with RA1s and up to 1.7Gs at the track on competition tires. The Griggs GT pulled 1.5Gs in the Virginia City Hill Climb.

08 GT3 RS

Slalom 75.6mph
60-0 115ft
80-0 201ft
Skidpad 1.04Gs

Not official but multiple reported lap times for the GT3 RS have been around 2:07-2:08 at VIR.

Not a definite comparison but you'll probably never see one between the two. Just from what is known between the two cars then I'd say you'd have a good chance in the GT500 so my statement is not so far out there after all.

You don't see too many Griggs Mustangs winning on the international level, but you sure do see a lot of GT3's.

I'm not arguing that the Mustang is better than the Porsche in the end because the Porsche would probably win in the end if you were to go to an all out racecar. But when properly setup (like with a Griggs parts) the Mustang can do exceedingly well. And since we were talking about modded Cobras beating more expensive exotics and not exactly equal comparisons I don't see how what I said was far fetched? So if you guys want to split hairs we can split hairs. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Storm_jordan

Established Member
There are plenty of people that drive the exotic cars that dont know jack shit about the Cobra and its potential, particularly the 03-04. But who cares. Most of those guys get the exotic car as a status symbol anyway. The guy that gets that exotic to race on weekends is usually a true car guy and has knowledge on a variety of cars. I really don't care too much. In the end I would much rather have a bone stock GT2 than a 600rwhp Cobra.

+100
i love my cobra but, a turbo Porsche... whats better?

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
If one day I actually own a ferrari....I promise I will not care that a mustang of any kind smokes me @ the light, or anywhere else.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
anyone who knows anything about cars around me knows what my car is and always tries to race me

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I don't think they get that much respect because many people don't know what they're looking at...."just another mustang" comes to mind. After you put bus lengths on a car they think twice though.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
svtfocus2cobra; said:
I'm not arguing that the Mustang is better than the Porsche in the end because the Porsche would probably win in the end if you were to go to an all out racecar. But when properly setup (like with a Griggs parts) the Mustang can do exceedingly well. And since we were talking about modded Cobras beating more expensive exotics and not exactly equal comparisons I don't see how what I said was far fetched? So if you guys want to split hairs we can split hairs. :rolleyes:

+1...actually Mustangs do pretty well against BMW's...and Porsche's.

Standings Snapshot

JMD0346

Established Member
If I had a GT3/Z06 etc an got beat by a Cobra/mustang Id say "You never know what youre gonna get with those guys!".

Point being Mustang/Camaro guys mod there stuff far more than Porsche/Vette etc owners.

You pull up beside two Cobras that look exactly the same. Same wheels same DR's out back. One might run 12's. The other might run 9's. You never know and getting beat by one is nothing to be ashamed of no matter what you drive!

The best example of this imo are the Notch Back Fox's.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Cobra Dangerfield: "I don't get no respect, no respect at all, I tell ya! The other day I was at the car wash and the attendant said ,"Hey, nice GT, ya got a V6 or a four in there?" No respect all!"

Jim Snover

illness

Established Member
this is dumb as hell.. another svtp epic fail of a thread.. if u own anything of that value/staure are u really gonna give two shits about a mustang cobra?? NO.. im a die hard ford fan but you know what if it was me.. and i had the money the cobra wouldnt even be an option in my mind.. someone is always gonna have a faster car than u no matter what... say i drive around a 4billionty dollar super lambo bullshit w/e.. and some dusche rolls up in a cobra ans we race from the light to 60 and he smokes me.. am i gonna go hoem and cry about it.. no in fact im gonna go home and laugh that , thats all the asshole has as i walk into my mansion.. seriously this is like asking does a honda civic si get respect compared to a GT 500.. its just pure stupidity.. idk why i comment.. it must be the alcohol..

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
this is dumb as hell.. another svtp epic fail of a thread.. if u own anything of that value/staure are u really gonna give two shits about a mustang cobra?? NO.. im a die hard ford fan but you know what if it was me.. and i had the money the cobra wouldnt even be an option in my mind.. someone is always gonna have a faster car than u no matter what... say i drive around a 4billionty dollar super lambo bullshit w/e.. and some dusche rolls up in a cobra ans we race from the light to 60 and he smokes me.. am i gonna go hoem and cry about it.. no in fact im gonna go home and laugh that , thats all the asshole has as i walk into my mansion.. seriously this is like asking does a honda civic si get respect compared to a GT 500.. its just pure stupidity.. idk why i comment.. it must be the alcohol..

meh, i disagree. its one thing if the exotic is unwilling to race. but most people who own those cars have decent sized egos, and are competitive as hell. you lose a competition to anyone and its a blow to the ego. you can talk mansions all you want, but no one likes to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread