How much do you pay for rent??

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
rent in my area right now is ridiculous. Damn the college kids and their demand. Im paying 1050$ a month for a 2 bed 2 bath 1100sq ft apartment with a garage. Water included, electricity / cable I pay for. there are a bunch of 1 bedroom places less than a mile away from where I live now that go for 400k+ for a 1 bedroom and rent is 2.5k+ a month. Housing is quite expensive over here from all the college students who rent out places as well.

I'm waitin for the next recession before pulling the trigger on a house

THATS ridiculous? i'm paying $1000 for a 800sq 2 bedroom 1 bath, nothing included, in a 2 family 40 minutes from Boston. and i think it's a hell of a deal. a friend of mine is payin $1200 in a large community for a 1 bed/1 bath just a few streets over.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
THATS ridiculous? i'm paying $1000 for a 800sq 2 bedroom 1 bath, nothing included, in a 2 family 40 minutes from Boston. and i think it's a hell of a deal. a friend of mine is payin $1200 in a large community for a 1 bed/1 bath just a few streets over.

Dude, I'm paying 1200 without ammentities for 650sqft lol. Also, they knocked off $100/mo for my first year so it was $1300 before. I thought you guys were paying San Fran prices over there in Boston but I guess not.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
Dude, I'm paying 1200 without ammentities for 650sqft lol. Also, they knocked off $100/mo for my first year so it was $1300 before. I thought you guys were paying San Fran prices over there in Boston but I guess not.

i'm nowhere near Boston and as i said its a hell of a deal for me. Boston prices, or any where close are insane. actually i read an article about a new tower they're building in the west end of Boston, they said they expect a 650ish sq studio to go for $2400 with 2 and 3 bedrooms to go for $7400 and up :eek:.

idk how that compares to SF or any other urban area, but my god.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i'm nowhere near Boston and as i said its a hell of a deal for me. Boston prices, or any where close are insane. actually i read an article about a new tower they're building in the west end of Boston, they said they expect a 650ish sq studio to go for $2400 with 2 and 3 bedrooms to go for $7400 and up :eek:.

idk how that compares to SF or any other urban area, but my god.

I know someone who has a 2br condo in SF (forget what district but a really nice area) and pays $4300. He is in real-estate though and sublets it out 3wks out of the month and profits usually as he mostly lives in the valley throughout the week.

FWIW, $7k will get you into a HUGE high-rise flat with an insane view in San Diego.

wallie40

Established Member
Here in SD we pay $2700 1600sq ft 3 bedroom 2 bath, 3 car garage + utils . We relocated a year ago, so we are getting ready to buy in the beginning of 2015. I still own my house in LA, and she owns her's in LA also.

-Paul

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
I know someone who has a 2br condo in SF (forget what district but a really nice area) and pays $4300. He is in real-estate though and sublets it out 3wks out of the month and profits usually as he mostly lives in the valley throughout the week.

FWIW, $7k will get you into a HUGE high-rise flat with an insane view in San Diego.
wow

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member

My parents worked in SF for 2 years but lived in Pittsburgh which is about an hour out across the Bay Bridge. They said the cheapest 1 bedroom they could find was like $3200 for something basic. Pretty sure it's the most expensive city to live in in the country.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I'm a landlord, so while I own my own home I can at least say what I charge tenants for rent.

Rents around my town in Central IA are essentially:

$450-550 for 1 Bedroom
$550-650 for 2 Bedroom
$650-750 for 3 Bedroom

I've got a house right now that's a 2 Bedroom/1 Bathroom at about 870sq ft plus basement and detached singlr garage. I currently rent it out for $600 plus $25 per pet. I bought the place for $37,000 and put about $500 in repairs to be rent ready - doing most of the work myself.

The kitchen needs updated, but even with mostly original hardwood floors throughout the house, the place is in great shape. I guess what I'm saying is that, its not a slum house. Its mostly original, yes, but everyone thinks its super "cute".

Around here, not a lot of places allow pets, for obvious reasons, but we find its a hugely profitable niche. People tend to make huge sacrifices for their pets they wouldn't even make for their kids and if you allow pets, especially if you have a fenced in back yard, its amazing the inconveniences people will overlook. Plus, people with pets don't care if previous tenants had pets anyways, and it seems there's a bigger pool of tenants with pets than without.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
My parents worked in SF for 2 years but lived in Pittsburgh which is about an hour out across the Bay Bridge. They said the cheapest 1 bedroom they could find was like $3200 for something basic. Pretty sure it's the most expensive city to live in in the country.

Yup.

I dont see the allure though, SF is ****ing disgusting. Just a cesspool of poverty, homeless, and a pure example of how liberalism can turn a great city into a shithole. I used to joke about stepping off the Bart station and stepping on bum shit, until my last visit where the joke turned into reality and it wasnt funny anymore.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
That's exactly why they left there and moved back to Wa. There's very little redeeming qualities of SF.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I know some people who invest in San Francisco and I have no idea why...the rent control laws are outrageous, although about 2 hours east of me in Cedar Rapids, Iowa its starting to look just as bad as now landlords can get charged fines if tenants cause disturbances or do something illegal on the property - I get the city wanting landlords to pick good tenants but we should never be on the hook for things tenants do in terms of the law.

I think San Francisco has a law where if a landlord cancels a lease for perfectly legal reasons, they have to reimburse tenants for up to two years of the difference between what they've been paying for rent and what market rates are if they've been paying below market. It has something to do with the Ellis Act in the state.

For instance, say the market rent is $1000 and a tenant has been paying $800 per month for a similar place, the landlord would have to pay the tenant $4800. I think there was a lawsuit recently where the landlords owed a tenant $150,000 for giving them a good deal on rent and then using the Ellis Act to go out of business. Sure landlords should stick to their contract, but again all this fluff to complex things seems ridiculous.

Last edited:

xenodragon

Established Member
I don't currently PAY rent, but I am making ~$200 a month from the renters of my 2nd house (they pay around 1200 a month for a 3 br 2 ba house in MN), and have no payments on my primary home :D

BladeX10

Established Member
Yup.

I dont see the allure though, SF is ****ing disgusting. Just a cesspool of poverty, homeless, and a pure example of how liberalism can turn a great city into a shithole. I used to joke about stepping off the Bart station and stepping on bum shit, until my last visit where the joke turned into reality and it wasnt funny anymore.

Pretty much. 95% of the people who stay there cant afford to live there. There is nothing even special about SF, Everything is old as shit, reeks of bum piss and everything is just disgusting. You couldnt PAY me to live in that hell hole, Let alone pay $1500 a month for a place the size of an average home's kitchen in the deep slum of SF where we literally had to step over a sleeping bum to walk up the stairs(had to go apartment shopping for some relative who refuses to leave SF).

Hell, Im sitting here getting nauseous just thinking about the smell of the air i smelt when i went last time.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member

Pittsburgh is scary.

Yup.

The trains are just as bad. I know them well I am a mechanic who wrenches on them and from time to time we have to call the cleaners out to clean up the poo and vomit. Good stuff!

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Pittsburgh is scary.

The trains are just as bad. I know them well I am a mechanic who wrenches on them and from time to time we have to call the cleaners out to clean up the poo and vomit. Good stuff!

I only went out there probably 2 times and it seemed quiet but I can also see how it could be bad.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Pretty much. 95% of the people who stay there cant afford to live there. There is nothing even special about SF, Everything is old as shit, reeks of bum piss and everything is just disgusting. You couldnt PAY me to live in that hell hole, Let alone pay $1500 a month for a place the size of an average home's kitchen in the deep slum of SF where we literally had to step over a sleeping bum to walk up the stairs(had to go apartment shopping for some relative who refuses to leave SF).

Hell, Im sitting here getting nauseous just thinking about the smell of the air i smelt when i went last time.

We went to SF last time I was up in norcal in July to see Daniel Tosh. It made me realize how much better of a city San Diego is. If a building in SD sucks or is falling apart, they rip that shit down and put a beautiful, steel clad building in its place. SF? Nah, we keep it, gut the insides, and build twice as many residences inside with half the footage, even if its laden with asbestos and bum turds from the steam age and crumbling on the outside, it adds character! **** that.

04ScSaleen325

Established Member
small 1 bedroom apartment, kichen and living room is in the same room. $1200 not including utilities. long island ny. god i cant wait to move to sc

Users who are viewing this thread