How many were concerned with a tune for just a CAI & Catback?

How many were concerned with a tune for just a CAI & Catback?

• Yup, Concerned?

Votes: 79 20.4%
  • NO, NOT Concerned?

Votes: 309 79.6%

• Total voters

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Since there are only a handful of people that ran really lean after these mods, you’re A/F will probably be just fine. BUT, maybe you won’t! So here’s a novel idea…

MEASURE IT

Since your engine costs over 100 times that of a typical dyno pull, it only makes sense. And don’t forget the labor costs of an engine R&R. As a “bonus”, you also find out how much power and torque you’re making. I really don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want to just go ahead and do this.

Typical dyno pull: $75
Watching someone bitch and moan over having to pay over $10,000 for a new engine plus tax and labor because they didn’t bother to meas their A/F: Priceless

dezracer

I did it to "be safe",and gained 12 hp. and 20 lbs. of torque.Thing is ,I am now trying to dtermine if the "custom tune" is stored in my predator ,or if I have to upload to a pc to save it,and reuse it later.Any ideas?

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Well, with just catback the sniffer showed me to be awfully lean...but then again, I've heard the sniffer can be off as much as 1.0. I'm not putting on my JLT RAI until I get my wideband on the car just to be safe. I'd rather be safe than sorry later.

Dyno.JPG

03cobra#116

Established Member
Dominick32 said:
To be honest with you guys.
I wasnt concerned at all but as far as getting a/f checked with any mod I feel its a good idea.

After plenty of experience with 03 cobra dynoing at Mustang Magic in Long Island. Our results showed that stock terminator convertibles actually dynod a little leaner than the coupes. This is NO BS.. All of the verts we dynod were mysteriously leaner and had more power stock than the coupes. (could this be that ford wanted relatively equal performance, b/c of the weight?) who knows?

With that said and my car being leaner. I would say maybe it couldve been healthier for me to get a tune with a catback and intake.

Dom
www.svtsnake.com

I have been saying for two years that the convertibles have more power than the coupes.

Until now, I thought I was just rattling the cage of the coupe owners.

Although I did notice by convertible tested stronger than most.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would still check the A/F but would not expect the change to require any form of re-tune. The only exception I have every seen was from the first gen Densecharger that notoriously leaned out the A/F.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I had a dyno done when I just had a CAI. The A/F was so pig rich that the plot actually fell off the graph in the upper RPM range.

I have since put on an exhaust system and the Predator performance tune. No problems here.

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
My first mods were the Steeda CAI then the Bassani headers, x-pipe and catback. I didn't get a tune, but dyno'ed it to check the A/F. It was STILL pig RICH...

Fast Willy

Established Member
I think that with just a CAI and a catback you dont need a tune. What I am going to do is get the sct and download a map for that. It shouldnt be to hard. And then once I get a pulley I will get to the dyno.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
It's the intake you have to be more concerned about. A Catback shouldn't affect the A/F ratios considerably since they are after both sets of 02 sensors.

Chameleon

Established Member
Just to be on the save side I just (today) dyno'd my car after the K&N FIPK and after the installation of the Borla 14858 cat back. I had also dyno'd the car (two weeks ago) when it was bone stock. The A/F ratio barely changed at all. Stock the "average" AF was 11.6 and after the mods the average AF was 11.8. I have a print out fron 2400 RPM to redline and at almost every 100 RPM reading the A/F ratio went up .2 (two tenths). This was taken using a sensor stuck in the exhaust which from what I understand reads leaner than the car actually is. Bottom line ... the AF ratio (on my car at least) was very safe after the installation of the K&N.

I'm not real happy with the HP increase though, only 11.1 HP increase with both the K&N and the Borla.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Chameleon said:
I'm not real happy with the HP increase though, only 11.1 HP increase with both the K&N and the Borla.

Man, 11.1 HP? Any idea what could've went wrong? :shrug:

Chameleon

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
Man, 11.1 HP? Any idea what could've went wrong? :shrug:

No I don't I-Can, the only thing that I can think of is that perhaps the ECM didn't have enough time to "learn" the new set up. Here's the order of what happened...

Last week I installed the Borla 14858 exhaust. I didn't drive much during the week (only about 30-40 miles).

Friday morning I put the K&N on. As part of the installation process I did disconnected the negative terminal of the battery. After the installation and the reconnection of the terminal, I started the car, checked for leaks and drove it around the block (less than 1 mile). I was concerned about the A/F ratio after reading other posts and decided to take the forums advice and have it checked (cheap insurance). I called the local dyno shop, they had a opening, so I drove down there (about 30 miles). They strapped the car to the dyno and did the pull. (So at this point I have started the car about 4 times and driven it less than 35 miles with the K&N FIPK.)

Needess to say I was very disappointed. I have since told by one person that it takes at least 100 miles for the ECM to relearn the modifications. I don't know how valid that statement is or not.

I can tell you that sometime next year, after I have put about 1,000 miles on this set up I will redyno it. We'll see what happens then.....

I posted a thread about this but only got one response...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1731314#post1731314

I still open for any and all suggestions....

Last edited:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Wow, well did you feel a SOTP difference with both mods? Maybe if you felt a gain with the CB and then again with the CAI the dyno may be at fault?!?!? :shrug: Keep us posted man!

Chameleon

Established Member
I drove it around a lot today for FORCE some learning into it. :rockon:

I am definately going to re-dyno it after the first of the year and I'll post the results.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Chameleon said:

I am definately going to re-dyno it after the first of the year and I'll post the results.

I wanted a Mystic! :p

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Chameleon said:

results??????

davbrucas

Banned
i know when i added the JLT CAI the car felt slower when i first drove it. only after driving two or three times did i notice a difference...but when i added the SLP i immediately noticed a huge difference over the stock catback... i say drive the thing for 2 weeks and redyno if this happens to anyone else....

pvteye

Established Member
Just had a tune with only a CAI and CatBack... picked up 39 RWHP and 35 RWTQ SAE corrected with a Predator Tune on the dyno by James at RWTD, much more than I, or anyone else, including James expected....

Users who are viewing this thread