How many were concerned with a tune for just a CAI & Catback?

How many were concerned with a tune for just a CAI & Catback?

• Yup, Concerned?

Votes: 79 20.4%
  • NO, NOT Concerned?

Votes: 309 79.6%

• Total voters

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Just as the title says.....How many of you all got a tune when first starting to mod your Cobra with just a CAI and C/B?

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
I think you would be able to get away without a tune if you just did CAI and exhaust, but a couple pulls on the dyno to check A/F wouldn't be a bad idea. I would get a custom tune just to get the most out of the car anayway, James @ RWTD did mine on the Predator. :rockon: I think most cars will adjust to the new mods after a couple driving cycles with out a custom tune.:burnout:

HairyCanary

Established Member
If you could blow it up with a CAI and cat-back, something is seriously wrong with Ford's calibration...

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Our cars are so rich from the factory that a CAI actually helped mine some ( I did a before and after). My A/F curve didn't drop off the scale (under 10.0:1) until 3500 RPM where before it left the scale at 3200RPM. All cars are different, though.

You don't need to dyno for those.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I ran a lightning pulley with intake and exhaust for 10,000 miles with no problems. I think you will be ok with a CAI and CB

Dominick32

BANNED
To be honest with you guys.
I wasnt concerned at all but as far as getting a/f checked with any mod I feel its a good idea.

After plenty of experience with 03 cobra dynoing at Mustang Magic in Long Island. Our results showed that stock terminator convertibles actually dynod a little leaner than the coupes. This is NO BS.. All of the verts we dynod were mysteriously leaner and had more power stock than the coupes. (could this be that ford wanted relatively equal performance, b/c of the weight?) who knows?

With that said and my car being leaner. I would say maybe it couldve been healthier for me to get a tune with a catback and intake.

Dom
www.svtsnake.com

DnB

Established Member
I custom tuned cause the first dyno showed very lean after my mods. Although it might have been a bad reading, I am still very happy I got the custom tune cause the delta of the area under the new torque curve was HUGE vs the stock tune.

These production engines are variable, and I like the fact that I am getting the maximum potential taking into account my engine's manufacturing tolerences.

Dave

ArtMan

Established Member
No tune Here, running Bassani 2.5" catted X-pipe and cat back with K&N FIPK. I had the stall issue when the car was new. Stalled once on the first drive after installing a drop in K&N filter and never again since. I posed this same question to a few tuners when I purchased my mods and all agreed no custom tune was necessary. Never dynoed but I am fairly confident the computer adjusted well for my mods, hopefully this fall.

Fuerza

Established Member
I've got an steeda cai and an magnaflow cb. I'll be getting my first dyno on 23rd, I'm not worried about a chip.

Gray03Cobra

Established Member
I have been thinking about this due to my A/F mix when it was dyno'd in July. But until I get into the Chip and Pulley mods what is the point. Those I will do with a custom Diablo Sport tune.

But it might make a couple extra HP and TQ's fall out the tail pipes. Has anyone ever done a test on this? On mildly warmed over Cobra's it seems like overkill.

Rudy

Twin screwed
Established Member
I remember when my tuner(larroccas perf.) took my baseline dyno #, before putting my pulley. at that time all I had was c/b, cai and the car spit out 411rwhp and he asked me if I have a chip in there. He was surprised with my a/f # he says they were nice. I told him I had the reflashed done to it. And he says that might be the reason why you have a nice a/f.

I dont think a chip is a must for just a catback and cai, it is a waste of money.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
don't do it, your cobra is fine with just intake/exhaust mods....the way i look at it, a chip will void your warranty so why not wait till you are ready to do a pulley also then throw on a custom chip and wave bye bye to that warranty. losin the warranty from having a chip that will not do much with very basic mods is senseless. keep that warranty up until you chip/pulley!

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Originally posted by LTHL VNM
don't do it, your cobra is fine with just intake/exhaust mods....the way i look at it, a chip will void your warranty so why not wait till you are ready to do a pulley also then throw on a custom chip and wave bye bye to that warranty. losin the warranty from having a chip that will not do much with very basic mods is senseless. keep that warranty up until you chip/pulley!

good point! no tune for me....It never burned me in the past with any of my other Stangs.

Jpjr

Established Member
hey guys,

i had the straight shot (bigger 95mm MAF), and was wondering if that would require a custom tune of not.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Originally posted by Jpjr
hey guys,

i had the straight shot (bigger 95mm MAF), and was wondering if that would require a custom tune of not.

no, if using stock electronics it shouldn't.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
u can get away with it fine...but i hav a tune on my CAI/catback car and it gained 13rwhp and 14rwtq....every lil bit counts!

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Always check your A/F just to be safe, but these cars run rich stock. Here is a graph showing the before & after of adding a catted X pipe to my catback & CAI.

P6200742.jpg

P6200743.jpg

whtsnake03

Established Member
I wasn't too concerned with just a K&N and Magnaflow cat-back but I wanted to squeeze out all the performance I could. I got a predator and tunes from RWTD. That way when I finally get a pulley for the supercharger James can set me up! :) I dyno'd at 438 HP with just those two mods. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread