how many quartz of oil for an 2003 cobra?

M4_ELITE

Established Member
It calls for 6,most of us run 6.5-7qts.

i just had it done about 15 mins ago, and they put in 7qts of mobile 1. i checked the dipstick, its up to max but ive started it like 5 times since i got home and it cranks forever -really sounds like its struggling for 2-3 secs each time i start it. am i wrong for thinkin 7 is too much, maybe cloggin injectors or somethin??

TRBO VNM

i put 6qts in since that is what the manual calls for. the only reason i put more in is if i have a filter relocation kit and/or turbo or something that requires using the engine oil.

M4_ELITE

Established Member
so now i went to start it up, and it started up fine. shut it down 2 secs later, started it again -started quick -fine. 3rd time a little hesitation... so 7qtz should be okay? or should i go back tell them to leak a little out?

checkin the dipstick it's filled to max and the letters "max" which are engraved do have oil in them.

M4_ELITE

Established Member
anyway thank you guys for responding. starts up just fine, i guess im over reacting.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
A bunch of guys run more due to the size of the heads,at higher rpms there isn`t a bunch of oil left in the sump.I`ve been running 7qts.since i`ve had the car 6.5 yrs.

sykal

Banned
i threw in 6.8 or so here.

last oil change it was right at minimum level. now shes right a smidge under max.

these motors do not like to be low on oil i hear.

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
I run 7 qts, but I have the Canton Racing Oil Pan and a turbo, I think 7 should suffice, but you may want to only consider 6 or 6.5qts.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Does the 6.5-7.0 quarts pertain to the Normally aspirated 99-01's as well? Or just for supercharged? I'm doing some dyno pulls next week and want the right lubrication.
Fresh oil change last week 5 quarts 24 ounces of Synthetic with an 8 ounce bottle of Militec-1 added,Should I throw another half quart of oil in? And is there a problem with oil leaking from the pan gasket or is there still room in the stock pan with 7 quarts to where it doesn't reach that high? thanks.

Last edited:
I've run 7qts from day one since Ford seemed UNSURE if the dipstick was marking the oil level correctly. That being said, I can't imagine one little extra qt does any harm. I would rather have a little more than a little less at WOT.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I changed my oil yesterday and I put in 6.5 quarts.

Here is my take on this. Ford has to have some built in saftey cushion for how much oil. If you look at the dipstick, you will see the "Safe" area where the crosshatch is. From the bottom to the top of the crosshatch, it is about 1 quart.

When I put in 6 quarts, my car reads at the very bottom of the crosshatch. I add 1/2 a quart and it sits right in the middle of the crosshatch.

I also fill up my new oil filter with oil before I put it on. It will hold about 1/2 quart itself. Then I just add 6 more quarts.

The tinfoil method of keeping the power steering lines and rack boots clean also works like a champ!

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I have Jan 05 heads on my Cobra. I noticed that with 6 quarts the heads make noise. When I put 6.5 to 7 the engine is silent.

Users who are viewing this thread