How far can a new F150 Lightning pull a 6000lb travel trailer?

efurlong

Established Member
The F150 Lightning that inspired this thread started at a 100% charge.
Everybody (tesla's etc.) seem to end their charge at 70 - 80%. I'll assume they just get sick of waiting around. Two hours of sitting around for 200 - 300 mile (or much less) capacity? Cold weather, hills, 80mph, towing, OUCH! I love my 2.7 EB with 36 gallon tank!

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I wonder which generator company will be first to market with a product aimed/optimized at the EV truck market?

It would need the following:

Good mount/location
Hidden wire run and splice into factory charge system
Highly efficient engine
Oversized fuel tank
Start/stop from inside cab
Compact packaging
Charging rate just good enough to offset worst case battery discharge rate.

Onan should corner that market if they were smart. They already sell generator sets, APUs, and could leverage Cummins fuel cell, electric, and hybrid for further integration.

I would love an explanation of why they are on this system compared to them and Tesla.

I imagine a lot of it comes down to money and logistics. I'm surprised Ford is still on the last generation tech for battery. Not sure if it's just too expensive or they don't have the battery supply chain/partnerships to move to current/next gen.

sleek98

Established Member
"I was told it should take about 45 min to go from 10% to 80% on a proper DC fast charger, but I have never done that test"
I'm genuinely interested in my original question. How long does it take to fully charge from zero to full. Not from 10% to 80%.
100% of the time when I fill my 36 gallon gas tank. I never ever only fill it to 80%. BTW...it take me maybe 5 - 10 minuets from almost empty to a beautiful 36 gallon fill up.

If the 10-80% charge is rated at 45 mins the last 20% will take around another hour. There are charge curves built into the car to "protect" the battery. As time goes on I think they will change the curves but they are wanting to see how it effects battery life. It will never be as fast as putting gas in your tank, unless of course your filling up at Costco at noon on Saturday and have to wait 30 mins to get through the line.

The reason people only go from 10-80% is its more efficient to get you to another DC charger if road tripping.

Anyone who buys an ev to tow a travel trailer, an enclosed trailer, or a boat is an idiot. After watching some testing videos its not weight that is the problem, its the aero drag that kills them.

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I would love an explanation of why they are on this system compared to them and Tesla.
Interestingly, I believe Tesla still uses a 400V architecture, but they support higher amperage for charging because their cars and charging cables have thicker copper to minimize heat and whatnot. I agree and would be curious to hear why Ford is starting behind (IMO).

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
"I was told it should take about 45 min to go from 10% to 80% on a proper DC fast charger, but I have never done that test"
I'm genuinely interested in my original question. How long does it take to fully charge from zero to full. Not from 10% to 80%.
100% of the time when I fill my 36 gallon gas tank. I never ever only fill it to 80%. BTW...it take me maybe 5 - 10 minuets from almost empty to a beautiful 36 gallon fill up.
This x1,000,000

mariusvt

Established Member
So basically starting the trip from 100% only netted 87 miles, and if you quick charge back to 70-80%, you can assume additional range is 60-70 miles between subsequent stops to recharge. Sounds like a nightmare.

OX1

Established Member
Whoosh

Was just poking fun

I live in the sticks and have never hooked up a trailer to any truck I’ve owned

Just seems like a weird thing to gripe about, like the fuel economy in that other thread.

‘Eh i like it but it doesn’t drive underwater’

Want to tow? Should buy a diesel, that’s made FOR towing, imo. Everything in life has pros and cons

Yeah, that was fine until creepy Joe decided it wasn't. Now $200 to fill a typical diesel. Towing heavy might be the only true reason you need a 6-800 HP EV, and they can't even do that.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Interestingly, I believe Tesla still uses a 400V architecture, but they support higher amperage for charging because their cars and charging cables have thicker copper to minimize heat and whatnot. I agree and would be curious to hear why Ford is starting behind (IMO).

Maybe taking a page out of the Apple playbook?
Have the tech, but slowly release it over time to get repeat buyers/show that you are always "improving".
That or like the Raptor back in 2010 where the 6.2L wasn't ready for launch and the 800v tech is still 6months to a year out?

The EV Lightning(still hate the name although it fits with EV) will have a big enough buyer group to where most won't even hook up a U-haul trailer. Pickups are the new D.D. for a good amount in suburban/sticks areas.

efurlong

Established Member
You'll really only ever top it off at home, or if you have a charger at work. The charge rate is much slower during that last 20% to help preserve the battery. For practical reasons you will never top off to 100% while on a day trip.

So basically starting the trip from 100% only netted 87 miles, and if you quick charge back to 70-80%, you can assume additional range is 60-70 miles between subsequent stops to recharge. Sounds like a nightmare.
Quick charge = around an hour. For 60 -70 miles? Or...with no trailer 100 - 140 miles. An hour wait for 100 or so miles? Now drive another 100 or so miles...another hour wait time? So every hundred miles you've got to sit for an hour? What about, freezing weather, hills, towing, wind, driving at 80MPH, etc.
Not to mention...didn't the guy in the video say that his "quick charge" cost him $29.00? It's not exactly cheap to recharge...for such a PITA & 100 or so miles of range. The EV crowd keeps the "orthodoxly" alive with their standard verbiage: "don't worry - the technology will improve. Let's hope.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Quick charge = around an hour. For 60 -70 miles? Or...with no trailer 100 - 140 miles. An hour wait for 100 or so miles? Now drive another 100 or so miles...another hour wait time? So every hundred miles you've got to sit for an hour? What about, freezing weather, hills, towing, wind, driving at 80MPH, etc.
Not to mention...didn't the guy in the video say that his "quick charge" cost him $29.00? It's not exactly cheap to recharge...for such a PITA & 100 or so miles of range. The EV crowd keeps the "orthodoxly" alive with their standard verbiage: "don't worry - the technology will improve. Let's hope.

Nobody talks about the fact that gas stations that install expensive charging stations need to recover the cost and ongoing maintenance costs and a reasonable profit.

efurlong

Established Member
I've never seen a charger at a gas station. Although there's a new Buc-ee's in St. Augustine, FL (where I live) It's got 104 gas pumps...maybe it's got charging. Not sure.
Three's another new Buc-ee's in Daytona Beach as well...60 miles south of St. Augustine. Probably illegal to build Buc-ee's in most blue states. Evil gas stations.

sleek98

Established Member

DC Fast chargers are the most expensive. They are normally 30-35 cents a KWH around here. To compare electric at you house here is between 8-11 cents per hour depending on what plan you have. so 10 bucks at home vs 30 at the supercharger.

Fast charging at 29 bucks for 120 miles cost you 24 cents a mile at a supercharger, and 8 cents a mile if charging at home. Around here gas is 4.09 a gallon say you get 20 mpg that is 20 cents per mile, 18 mpg is 23 cents and 22 mpg is 18 cents.

Its a savings if you are driving your pickup like a sedan to and from work and charge at home, never hook up a heavy trailer etc etc. They are not to the point of being a real truck.

I looked into getting a lightning before the real world towing range came out. I really only need to tow 150 miles a few times year to take the boat back and forth, but there is no dc fast charger on that route so it simply wont work for us.

Blown 89

Established Member
The reason people only go from 10-80% is its more efficient to get you to another DC charger if road tripping.
The reason people only charge to 70 or 80% is that chargers also have a timed rate. That last 20% ends up costing a lot more money than the first 80%. A lot of cars allow you to program in when you want the charging to stop because of this.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Currently any pro of an EV is outweighed by the numerous cons. Our local shopping attraction has a spot (10 perhaps) for electric vehicles and it always brings a smile to my face and almost makes tears from laughing so hard when we pull into a store or hit a restaurant and two hours later the VERY same EV is still charging. The cherry on top is when the owner recognizes the hassle and reclines the driver or passenger seat to sleep out the time it takes to charge. The incovnenience is utter bullocks.

efurlong

Established Member
It's not the $$ per mile for me, although I like saving $$. But, I get 20 MPG+ in my 2.7EB. So it's kind of a wash. Its the time involved to recharge. I'm not a patient person at all. That said, current gas pricing is by democrat design, to help their donor class...who own the lithium etc. Once Ron DeSantis, or Donald Trump is in the white house...I suspect petrol will come down in price. BTW...green house gasses are about the same for EV & ICE all things considered. If you're into that sort of thing. Don't believe the truth.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
It's not the $$ per mile for me, although I like saving $$. But, I get 20 MPG+ in my 2.7EB. So it's kind of a wash. Its the time involved to recharge. I'm not a patient person at all. That said, current gas pricing is by democrat design, to help their donor class...who own the lithium etc. Once Ron DeSantis, or Donald Trump is in the white house...I suspect petrol will come down in price. BTW...green house gasses are about the same for EV & ICE all things considered. If you're into that sort of thing. Don't believe the truth.
I'm with you. If this thing inconveniences my life in any way I'm out.

sleek98

Established Member
The reason people only charge to 70 or 80% is that chargers also have a timed rate. That last 20% ends up costing a lot more money than the first 80%. A lot of cars allow you to program in when you want the charging to stop because of this.

Must be a state by state or even area by area. I only found one charger that has a parking fee if you leave it over 35 mins, ironically its at a gas station. The rest were all charging by the KWH

Agreed its not any better for the environment, I would say its actually worse.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
DC Fast chargers are the most expensive. They are normally 30-35 cents a KWH around here. To compare electric at you house here is between 8-11 cents per hour depending on what plan you have. so 10 bucks at home vs 30 at the supercharger.

Fast charging at 29 bucks for 120 miles cost you 24 cents a mile at a supercharger, and 8 cents a mile if charging at home. Around here gas is 4.09 a gallon say you get 20 mpg that is 20 cents per mile, 18 mpg is 23 cents and 22 mpg is 18 cents.

Its a savings if you are driving your pickup like a sedan to and from work and charge at home, never hook up a heavy trailer etc etc. They are not to the point of being a real truck.

I looked into getting a lightning before the real world towing range came out. I really only need to tow 150 miles a few times year to take the boat back and forth, but there is no dc fast charger on that route so it simply wont work for us.
They had another trip they took with this truck (TFL) coming back from Detroit I think and driving to Denver. If I remember right, one of the fast chargers was $.47/kwh.

If those prices become the norm, it will be even less attractive unless you solely charge at home. But I'm sure they will start hitting people for charging during peak hours. My local power company sent me an email last year that said something like "schedule your electric car charging hours based on our schedule and save $50 on your next bill."

Users who are viewing this thread