How do you make up for saying something completely out of line?

01GTB

Established Member
So a new couple is looking for a home in the neighborhood. Seem like super nice folks in their mid to late 50's. They're from Miami. They want to know all about the neighborhood. We have a solid 20 minute discussion about how quiet it is and all the pros and cons of living there. They seem really interested in purchasing the home. They actually had met the guy down the street already and he was the one that told them about the neighborhood. They look toward his house and the wife says, "I see Joe has an Israeli flag." My first thought is to say, "yeah. He's Jewish, but doesn't act like one." I don't even know what the #### I meant by that or why I said it. I think I thought for some reason that flag might have been a put off for her, and was going to try to put out that fire. I had already told them I had known Joe for a long time and he was a really good dude.

The wife turns quickly away. Like what you do when you cringe that someone says something that makes go, "yikes!" The husband gets on another subject quickly. I almost instantly realize that these people are from Miami and it has a fairly large Jewish population, and there is at least a fair chance they are Jewish. If I could have put my foot in my mouth right then I would have. I jump right off the subject with them and try to act like it never happened. I didn't think it wise to dwell on it or try to explain what I was trying to say. We talk for another 10 minutes or so. But it bothered me all night. I don't want them to think I'm some kind of anti-semitic asshole.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
^lol

Wow. IDK if there's anything you can say to them at this point to make up for that.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I think we've all done something like that at some point, I know I have. Probably one of those things you'll have to let ride. In a couple of days it will start to fade and stop bugging you so much.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Give them some coupons and some Matzo ball soup and you'll be good to go. Honestly if they want to get all bent out of shape about it then whatever. My gf's whole father's side is Jewish and they all know the stereotypes and can laugh about them. Same with my college roommate. All great people but they know why people say those things. That lady would have probably been offended if you stereotyped anyone. If anything, bring it up again and tell her you didn't mean anything by it just to clear your mind.

Troponin

Established Member
I have moments like that from time to time. I usually try to dissolve it with quick humility and move on. It doesn't always fix it, but I think it helps. At this point, unless there is some other indication that comment is still bothering them, I would most likely just forget about it.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
We've all had an awe shit moment. Learning from the experience will make you a better person. Remember, it takes 10 attaboys to wipe out 1 awe shit.

96 cobra

Established Member
Whatever you do, OP, don't mention the war!!...

[video=youtube;yfl6Lu3xQW0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0[/video]

:-D

SirShaun

Established Member
You didn't **** up that bad. Easily recoverable.

Next time you see them "Hey, I hope I didn't come off wrong last time. I was just trying to say Joe isn't a traditional Jewish guy."

Nanner

Established Member
Premium Member
You didn't **** up that bad. Easily recoverable.

Next time you see them "Hey, I hope I didn't come off wrong last time. I was just trying to say Joe isn't a traditional Jewish guy."

Opening your mouth just to change feet there , brother

byeofcr

Established Member
Ah dont feel too bad man. It happens its over just one of those things youll find yourself driving in your car one day and itll pop into your head and youll just say "stupid!" Outloud and laugh.

If it makes you feel better one halloween i dressed up as axl rose. Head to toe legit. Some girl at a house party i was at kept coming up to me and saying how awesome my costume was, eventually she gave her camera (pre camera phone days) to some dude to get a pic of us. Jokingly (sorta) i said something along the lines of "hold on dude let Axl see if he can get the groupie to show her tits". I was the only one who laughed. Like a record skipped. She looked at me like she just smelled shit and he was like "thats my ****ing fiancee asshole". And even worse i was a guest of a friend who knew these people. It spread around the party that i had insulted so and so..There was no recovering from that. I just caught a cab..still dessed like an asshole, and went to a bar.

Occasionally itll pop.in my head and i laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zemedici

Established Member
Ah dont feel too bad man. It happens its over just one of those things youll find yourself driving in your car one day and itll pop into your head and youll just say "stupid!" Outloud and laugh.

If it makes you feel better one halloween i dressed up as axl rose. Head to toe legit. Some girl at a house party i was at kept coming up to me and saying how awesome my costume was, eventually she gave her camera (pre camera phone days) to some dude to get a pic of us. Jokingly (sorta) i said something along the lines of "hold on dude let Axl see if he can get the groupie to show her tits". I was the only one who laughed. Like a record skipped. She looked at me like she just smelled shit and he was like "thats my ****ing fiancee asshole". And even worse i was a guest of a friend who knew these people. It spread around the party that i had insulted so and so..There was no recovering from that. I just caught a cab..still dessed like an asshole, and went to a bar.

Occasionally itll pop.in my head and i laugh.

Jesus.......hahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread