hit by stray bullet at a car show.....

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
You are more likely to get struck by lighting, while making a hole-in-one on a 200 yard par 3.

flS/R

Established Member
it was probably some damn mullet wearing camaro owners responsible for this. Good news knowing no one got hurt

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
....I hate people. What are the odds indeed.

I guess that is better than the bullet hitting the body of the car. :shrug:

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
holy hell thats crazy.. that could have been way worse. Glad no one was hurt.

+1 on thinking the title was a play on words and you got hit by a car or something

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Yo dawg, what if you had a 2001 Bullitt that started to roll because it was not parked in gear and this happened. Your stray Bullitt wouldve been hit by a stray bullet.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Craziest thread I've read in while concerning car shows, what are the odds. 1 billion to 1 lol. Thank you Lord that no one got killed.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
If you shoot a bullet straight up into the air it will be coming down at its terminal velocity.

I think a .45 ACP 230 gr would probably hit you at about 65 mph assuming it reached terminal velocity.

Lethal? hmmmm maybe??? If it was a JHP or something like that probably not. Hurt? Yes for sure.

Also realistically the bullet would probably be tumbling a bit so it may go a little slower by up to 12mph (just a guess based on changing the coefficient of drag to a sphere).

If you shoot it at an angle all bets are off so this is in response to shooting straight up and it coming down.

==========---How I got 65mph---================

V =Terminal Velocity
Cd = Coefficient of Drag ~ 0.295 for a "bullet" shape
A = frontal area
rho = density of gas
W = weight of bullet 230 gr (15 g)
d = diameter of bullet = .452 in (11.5 mm = 0.0115 meters)

V = sqrt(2W/Cd*rho*A)

Assume cross sectional area is good enough approximate to frontal area.

Cd = 0.295, W= 15g = 0.015kg, rho=1.164 kg/m^3, A=pi*(d/2)^2=1.0387e-004 m^2

V = (2*.015/(.295*1.164*1.0387e-004))^.5 = 29.0020 m/s

29.0020 (meters / second) = 64.88 mph

Equations are right, I could have done the math wrong though... I suck at arithmetic.:shrug:

MYFSTSVT99L

Ingot 2012
Established Member
That could have been fired close or at a decent distance, a round will travel a good distance if fired up into the air at an angle! I have never fired a round up in the air, but i have fired my 45 at a range at targets at 100 yards and YES I have hit them many times. If FIRED at an angle it could've a good distance and for the folks saying it was close that MAY or MAY NOT be the case.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, so thankful that nobody was hit. Like a young child. Or you, of course. But I agree that the odds of this happening are extremely low. Near impossible. Hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction.

Yellow4.6

Established Member
Damn that's nuts, glad noone was hurt.

Talking about odds......a guy I work with was struck by a bullet in the hood of his car as he drove down the freeway about 5 years or so ago. We had a guy shooting at cars as they drove down the freeway sniper style. Multiple cars were hit over a month long period. Well turn out the guy who was doing this went to HS and was even on the wrestling team with my friend whos car was struck. Needless to say the guy is now in the Gray Bar Hotel for quite sometime.

alex3610

Established Member
People are idiots. On July 4th at the lake across from our sub division, a 7 year old caught a stray bullet in the top of his head while walking with his parents to watch the fireworks. His dad noticed he fell down behind him, thought he tripped, only to find blood coming from the top of his head. He was immediately unresponsive and died shortly thereafter. .40 S&W, cops are saying with a 2 mile radius I think. No one has said anything or come forward so far. That really makes me question the theory above about the bullet coming down at only 65 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread