High speed.

Icecold

Established Member
Lol well not the interstate in Montana ... i got pulled over there doing 82 in the 75 ... like wtf ? And for top speed for the salt flats not highway. Thanks

Fassssst

Established Member
CobraBob has a great point . Like we're all saying ...we all know these cars could have a pretty amazing topend , but the real kick in the ass fun is the 20 or 40 to 120 mph runs pinning your ass back in the seat , and scaring the sh** out of any naive passengers . p.s. Icecold thks for the answer ,but I DONT think I can make that meet next year . It sure sounds like fun though .

stal94gt

Established Member
preping a motor to take sustained rpm's/heat/additional hp would need just a few upgrades to get there. the oem pistons have a high sylicone content so it can be place in a tighter cylander bore. oem spec for piston to wall is .001 and less which does not leave alot of room for swelling. alot of people do coolat upgrades to try and knock down engine temps but even those upgrades dont really help cause majority of the cooling goes into the heads and block which still does not do much for improving the amount the pistons are swelling in the socket. coolant mods should be done all the way around so it improves block and head cooling along with intake and fuel cooling. imo a good combo would be a new set of pistons that have a piston to wall gap of .0030-.0035 with the rings file fit to allow for proper swell. also balancing the motor is never a bad idea cause a well balanced motor reduces harmfull vibrations that ruins bearings. cobras also lack the optimum hardware on the mains, rods, and heads.

Last edited:

Fassssst

Established Member
And MoKo is right too . These cars are totally a different animal with a lot more boost . Mine runs a SAFE 17 psi and man do these things ever wake up at higher boost levels . ( of course with all the other proper mods )

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I also don't get the thrill in doing a 160mph pull. Anything could happen at that point, deer running out, any other animal, unknown road condition, a lot of factors that have an insanely shorter amount of reaction time compared to 70mph or normal speeds. I have way more fun playing around in gears 1-3 than I would doing a long 5th or 6th gear pull :shrug:

TRBO VNM

Lol well not the interstate in Montana ... i got pulled over there doing 82 in the 75 ... like wtf ? And for top speed for the salt flats not highway. Thanks

Like I said, some northern state and I thought it was one of those two, either way, you never said you are just planning on running high speed at the salt flats. You implied it would be on the street and then said also the salt flats. And also tried retracting your original post and said 120-130 on the street is enough. IF you are building a car for just the salt flats, there are people on here that have done that. Search is your friend.

I also don't get the thrill in doing a 160mph pull. Anything could happen at that point, deer running out, any other animal, unknown road condition, a lot of factors that have an insanely shorter amount of reaction time compared to 70mph or normal speeds. I have way more fun playing around in gears 1-3 than I would doing a long 5th or 6th gear pull :shrug:

Didn't you read, he is only doing high speed runs at the salt flats.
:lol:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Lance, thinking back I remember the best time I ever had with my Cobra was right after I had Rick at Amazon install a 2.90 upper, Billetflow 4-piece idlers and a tune. When I left the track where Rick was doing the installs, what an absolute adrenalin rush simply rowing the gears from a stop up to around 60 with that new found power, and an increase of 120 ft. lbs. of torque. No high speeds. Just pure fun shifting the gears and having the torque remind you what you were driving something special. I could have driven the car for hours. Which is why, too, a race track (road or drag) is such a rush as well.

Guys, if you're going to do those banzai runs to 150+, be safe. Like Lance pointed out, things can happen so quickly that can ruin your day big time.

Icecold

Established Member
Sorry TRBO VNM i should have made myself more clear. I dont have lots of cash for a strickly one type of car ex drag,cross,high speed etc... im looking into an all around car !! I like the quickness of the 1-4 gear pulls but i also like the salt flat runs to 160+, That doesnt happen much, once twice a year but i would love to be able to do it in the snake while im going for my road trips through the states. Once i get it pullied or ts 1st gear will be mostly usless. Does anyone re gear to like a 327s in the higher hp 550+ and still have the crazy amounts of fun ?

Sorry everyone i didnt know this subject would create hostility against the subject.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Like I said, some northern state and I thought it was one of those two, either way, you never said you are just planning on running high speed at the salt flats. You implied it would be on the street and then said also the salt flats. And also tried retracting your original post and said 120-130 on the street is enough. IF you are building a car for just the salt flats, there are people on here that have done that. Search is your friend.

Didn't you read, he is only doing high speed runs at the salt flats.
:lol:

Montana used to have a no speed limit highway a few years back. The federal gov't didn't like that too much and threatened to pull all funding for roads and whatnot if they didn't instill some sort of limit. I believe the limit is either 75 or 80mph now. In ND the interstate speed limit has been 75 for the past few years. But there are plenty of long, straight, low-traffic highways that are absolutely perfect for high speed runs...just be careful of wildlife!

-Eric

Black Cobra

Established Member
This video is an oldie but goodie. Looks like their website "www.200mphracing.com" doesn't exist anymore; they had some good info on running at high speed.

[youtube_browser]zB48d8A0cFU[/youtube_browser]

TRBO VNM

Montana used to have a no speed limit highway a few years back. The federal gov't didn't like that too much and threatened to pull all funding for roads and whatnot if they didn't instill some sort of limit. I believe the limit is either 75 or 80mph now. In ND the interstate speed limit has been 75 for the past few years. But there are plenty of long, straight, low-traffic highways that are absolutely perfect for high speed runs...just be careful of wildlife!

-Eric

Good to know I wasn't going insane. lol

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I don't get why some people see the need to do a high speed pull to 150ish. IMO the real adrenalin rush is the high torque, push you straight back in your seat, run from around 20-80, maybe 90 or even 100 mph. I just don't see the need to go beyond that. Believe it or not, I can't ever remember taking my '03 Cobra over 100 anywhere other than a track, but I had a lot of fun in that 20-80 area more times than I could ever count. Even at the track the most Terminators here won't see more than 120-130mph nor will they see high gears during those runs.

You two have obviously never ridden in a Supra. :lol1:

185 mph in a large turbo Supra is a rush. Is it stupid? Yes. That's why I sold it 10 years ago. But there is no denying that it's one hell of a rush. Those cars just don't stop pulling. :rockon:

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
My experience with high speed runs.. Texas Mile twice = Kaboom before 200, even with butt-tons of cooling mods.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
This video is an oldie but goodie. Looks like their website "www.200mphracing.com" doesn't exist anymore; they had some good info on running at high speed.

[youtube_browser]zB48d8A0cFU[/youtube_browser]

I talked with John Buscama a few times online, about his Silver State Classic and other runs.. he had a 97 Cobra, that with a Vortech on it hit mid 170's, (with the air splitter) then he gutted it and purpose built it into a race car for the unlimited class.. still wonder what happened to him.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My experience with high speed runs.. Texas Mile twice = Kaboom before 200, even with butt-tons of cooling mods.

Good for people to know who want to try it. Must have been a costly lesson. By the way, I drool every time I see your signature. What an absolutely gorgeous Cobra!

Icecold

Established Member
foofinator did you have just cooling mods ? What if you would have changed out the pistons do you think that would have helped ? Or changing the 5th gear out ? Also on the rear gearing do people that run 550hp or higher go to a 327 or keep the 355s ? Thanks

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
4th is good to 140, how much faster do you need to go? :shrug: I've done 2 high speed runs into 5th and just don't feel comfortable keeping it planted in 5th. Not worth poppin the motor over

Users who are viewing this thread