High speed.

Icecold

Established Member
Hi i understand that these cars arnt made for high speed runs. I was wondering on what id need to change to help that out ? Do I need different pistons ? how about changing the 5th gear ? Or should I just save up for a gt500 ? I do however love my 10th anniv vert, favourite colour tr :) i do however wish i had the fake suede seats but all leather is ok. One of my dream cars and I got it for cheap :) Or should i just worrie about getting to 120-130 mph faster. Whipple kennybell or ported ? So many questions and ive looked and read over countless hours of material on this site which I love.

Thanks for the advice.

Fassssst

Established Member
My eaton has been ported , but if I were to do it again , I would whipple for sure or kenne bell is just as good . They are better superchargers than a ported " heaton " from ford . Be careful doing high speed runs in these cars . They are not made for wot runs in 6th or even 5th gear . You could easily make for some expensive engine repairs . I took my car to the speed limiter once ,in 5th gear ,and it was fun , but no need to do it again . Just make your car STUPID fast in the lower to midrange gears . When I punch my car in 2nd gear ....4000 rpm at 45mph and run it to 6500 rpm through 3rd and 4th , it is a freakin' BLAST !!!!! Have fun , man . By the way , where in Canada are ya ? I'm in northern Ontario . ( Sudbury )

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I have had mine up to those numbers stock. I did not need 5th or 6th gears. I agree with above you want to maximize what you have to get there faster not necessarily to go faster than the top of 4th.

nickstang545

Established Member
When i first got my termi i did a run to 160mph which was a good hard pull to 160 and then i let out. Until some research here lately i found out that it was supposed to be bad on these cars. I have since put 10,000 miles on it with zero problems so far. I am not sure why it would be so bad? Who doesnt try there car out?

Icecold

Established Member
Ive had mine to 120-130 stock as well. I only have upr o/r x pipe, had 3" mac catback but went back to stock due to it being way too loud(i do a fair bit of highway driving). Then just steeda sport springs( i need a bit of work on the suspension tho keept stock shocks and struts and since being a vert with such high spring rate its a horrible ride!!) steeda caster camber, irs brace. But while racing my buddies 90 300zx that he did a tt swap into it he is right next to me until he hits his speed limiter at 120. Id love to put 2 car lenghts inbetween us especially when he tunes his car he will be faster :( and if he takes off his speed limiter i might be screwed due to I dont want to be going wot in 5th. So I was wondering if I could just change the 5th gear out to get ride of the double od 6 speed and put less stress on the engine or change pistons so they dont expand so much due to heat. Or just make it a stupid fast car to the top of 4th and I can say well if you couldnt beat me by 120-130 its good enough. As well as should I push it past the rev limiter ? Lol I have so many questions about my car.

P.S Fassssst I live in Saskatoon, Sk. Will you be going to the mustang meet this coming year ? It will be held in Winnipeg.

P.S nickstang545. These cars are build really strong from factory yes but from what I have read that the ptw(piston to wall) clearences arent accounted very well for 5th 6th gear pulls. The pistons are just ok pistons and due to heat they expand too much. The 5the gear is already an od gear as well as even farther for 6th gear.
* That is just my understanding so please if I have something wrong or not correct please correct me.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
from the research that I've done, at high engine loads for long periods of time, the pistons expand and will score the cylinder walls.. that's the dangerous thing to do on these engines.. that being said, I've bounced mine off the speed governor (when I had it) numerous times (all in Mexico of course) in a 14 mile straight away, had it over 170 numerous times (speed governor removed, and 2.8" pulley installed). Probably the hardest I've done was a 6th gear pull from 30 mph till 160 WOT the entire distance.. (took a couple miles) that all was from 20,000 miles on the engine till over 95,000 miles (have 101, 260 on her now and parked for the winter)

others have done MUCH less that I have, and ate their engine requiring a rebuild.. SO.. YMMV on high speed runs.. (also I got the car with 166 miles on her, and the dealer let anyone take her for test drives, since they had 04's on the lot and she was a hold over 03, so you KNOW that she was driven hard during the initial break in, I know that I sure as hell did..)

When i first got my termi i did a run to 160mph which was a good hard pull to 160 and then i let out. Until some research here lately i found out that it was supposed to be bad on these cars. I have since put 10,000 miles on it with zero problems so far. I am not sure why it would be so bad? Who doesnt try there car out?

If you search the archives on blown motors you'll easily find out why its bad and how many people learned that hard lesson. If people want to go 160 and above, and keep their motor intact, they should buy a car that is purpose built for that like a Z06.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
If you search the archives on blown motors you'll easily find out why its bad and how many people learned that hard lesson. If people want to go 160 and above, and keep their motor intact, they should buy a car that is purpose built for that like a Z06.

no factory car is "purpose" built to run high speeds for extended periods.. it's due to modern emissions, and the closer you can get your piston to your cylinder wall, the less blow by you get and the cleaner your engine will run..

no factory car is "purpose" built to run high speeds for extended periods.. it's due to modern emissions, and the closer you can get your piston to your cylinder wall, the less blow by you get and the cleaner your engine will run..

You're not going to see motor failure rates, doing 160 and above, for a Ford GT or these C6Zs like you would a Terminator. Those cars are built differently and those motors can sustain greater abuse and heat for an extended period of time. We could argue all day what you'd call an "extended period of time" but those cars aren't going to go boom at 160 and above like Terminators do.

jlbush

Established Member
A lot of people did top speed pulls when they first got them when they were stock with no problems, but you have to remember they had a very safe tune on them from the factory.

People then started spinning the blowers faster, leaning the A/F ratio, and advancing the timing which all creates more heat on an engine that already has tight piston to wall clearances.

If you were dead set on doing a high speed pull I would do two things: First, I would have the car already doing 70mph or so and not try my high speed pull from 0. Second, I would have a seperate stupid safe tune with A/F in the high 10s, low timing, and cool day.

If was doing a 160 pull on a Terminator it would be at stock boost levels and that blower would still have to be ported and tuned for me to be at ease doing that. That's just how little confidence I have in putting a lot of load on these longblocks.

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
from the research that I've done, at high engine loads for long periods of time, the pistons expand and will score the cylinder walls.. that's the dangerous thing to do on these engines.. that being said, I've bounced mine off the speed governor (when I had it) numerous times (all in Mexico of course) in a 14 mile straight away, had it over 170 numerous times (speed governor removed, and 2.8" pulley installed). Probably the hardest I've done was a 6th gear pull from 30 mph till 160 WOT the entire distance.. (took a couple miles) that all was from 20,000 miles on the engine till over 95,000 miles (have 101, 260 on her now and parked for the winter)

others have done MUCH less that I have, and ate their engine requiring a rebuild.. SO.. YMMV on high speed runs.. (also I got the car with 166 miles on her, and the dealer let anyone take her for test drives, since they had 04's on the lot and she was a hold over 03, so you KNOW that she was driven hard during the initial break in, I know that I sure as hell did..)

At the time of your 30 mph to 160 WOT in 6th, did you know what damage you could've done? I'd never do that.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't get why some people see the need to do a high speed pull to 150ish. IMO the real adrenalin rush is the high torque, push you straight back in your seat, run from around 20-80, maybe 90 or even 100 mph. I just don't see the need to go beyond that. Believe it or not, I can't ever remember taking my '03 Cobra over 100 anywhere other than a track, but I had a lot of fun in that 20-80 area more times than I could ever count. Even at the track the most Terminators here won't see more than 120-130mph nor will they see high gears during those runs.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
ive pegged my speedo many of times, with no issues. i have 2.8 upper, JLT RAI, steeda cat-back, and BAMA tune. the trick is, as mentioned already....dont start from zero mph....start from 45mph - 60 mph and THEN stomp it. once you hit your max speed, let out of it, and start slowing it down. dont keep the speedo pegged and see how long you can keep it there. the other thing is not to do these runs back to back to back without some good cool out time in between runs.

now another thing....slap an upper pulley and tune on your car, and you will STOMP your friends 300zx. if you think your car is fast now, running the stock boost....just wait until you (basically) double the boost. if his car stays side by side with you now, you will walk all over him, once you up the boost.

TRBO VNM

Then you didn't do enough research if you still don't know why. And to make it easy, the info is in this thread now.

I have only had my car up to about 140mph, at the track. No place to do that around here and frankly, I got that out of my system back with my first mustang back in college.

I don't know if Canada has places with no speed limits, but there are some people that try to be a little more responsible.

<< has never had his cobra over 140...does that make me a coward?

I guess me to. :shrug:

Icecold

Established Member
Well I also go to the salt flats in bonnyville, so id also like to know for there at high speed !! And it also doesnt take long to go from 40/50-120 and that is more then fast enough on the streets. Also last time i checked the states also dont have any places with no speed limits and people go past them all the time(ex bullrun). Im also really looking forward to getting a pulley and tune :). Thanks a lot for all the info. Keep it coming if you have more.

Icecold

Established Member
What size blower ? 2.3 or 2.9 ? What else do you have on it bap ? 60lbs injectors? etc. Its the international mustang meet. It goes between Canada and the States. Alberta Mustangs Auto Club - Home. Home - MMFA Its going to be on Labour Day Weekend August 30-31 September 1-2 2012. I was also thinking about a cruise to mustang week on Myrtle beach South Carolina but not to sure if ill go or not. Lol and ps nice choice in colour !!!!

TRBO VNM

Well I also go to the salt flats in bonnyville, so id also like to know for there at high speed !! And it also doesnt take long to go from 40/50-120 and that is more then fast enough on the streets. Also last time i checked the states also dont have any places with no speed limits and people go past them all the time(ex bullrun). Im also really looking forward to getting a pulley and tune :). Thanks a lot for all the info. Keep it coming if you have more.

There is or was a place in Montana or North Dakota(some northern state) that had a highway with no speed limit or a pretty high limit. Going 120-130 is a little different than trying top the car out. Nothing really needs to be done for the 120-130, the 150+ is where you need to worry and if you are trying to sustain that

Users who are viewing this thread