High Oil Consumption

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Just got off phone with dealer. They just got the go ahead from Ford to break down motor and look for the dye. So I'm sure if they start Monday I might have some answers mid-end of week. Keep you guys informed. And trust me, I dont like this or am I enjoying it. I would rather have my car. I only had it for 2 weeks. Its finally nice weather, I break my dick all week at work, would be nice to blast around in my car in my spare time. I'm not trying to make the gt350 an internet turd, I actually love my car, and still do right now. I'm embarrassed when people ask where it is. I'm just posting what's going on to inform others. If you own one, you could be next. I was absolutely shocked when I seen the amount of oil it was consuming. I guess you have to see it happen for yourself.

I felt the same when my 12 Boss 302 with low miles on it had to get a new long block. Dealer worked with Ford, did several tests (in addition to oil consumption test) and the decision was made to replace with a new long block. After they replaced it, they ran into a problem when taking it out for a test drive and turned out a Cam Phaser was bad...on the new motor!! They replaced the Cam phaser and the car was all good after that.....and no more crazy oil consumption.

Chances are there is a part quality issue that is causing the oil consumption issue.

Will be interesting to hear what the dealer investigation reveals.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
just got a call back from my dealer, they want me to bring the car in so they "can look at the heads and stuff"...here goes nothing

Red dragon

Established Member
Change in plans. My dealer just called me. I'm picking up car. This is what I was told. They ran test with Ford, they drove 200 miles, it lost oil. Ford told them to run dye test. So they put dye solution in oil, and now I am picking up car and driving it for 1000 miles without touching anything. I'm told to drive 1000 miles and come back to dealer.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Change in plans. My dealer just called me. I'm picking up car. This is what I was told. They ran test with Ford, they drove 200 miles, it lost oil. Ford told them to run dye test. So they put dye solution in oil, and now I am picking up car and driving it for 1000 miles without touching anything. I'm told to drive 1000 miles and come back to dealer.

Wow, that's a big turn around from what the dealer told you earlier isn't it, i.e. they are going to break down the engine? They had your car for how long?

Anyways, with the dye in, are you allowed to add any more oil as the car consumes it....or just leave it? I'd ask the dealer to confirm that.....in writing. Like I said earlier, the dealer I dealt with on my Boss notched the dipstick and asked that I return when the oil level hit that notch (indicated car had gone through a whole Quart of oil).

Race Red Boss

Established Member
just got a call back from my dealer, they want me to bring the car in so they "can look at the heads and stuff"...here goes nothing

First step should be an oil change and putting car on oil consumption monitor/test to find out how much oil it's going through, then when results in, pulling plugs to see if oil is present and maybe looking at some other stuff (hook up to diagnostic).

Good luck.

Red dragon

Established Member
The dealer performed an oil consumption test already, oil dropped, he mentioned plugs. They drove 200 miles. I was told Saturday they were going to open her up. So that might've been what they thought they were going to do. Ford told them to put the dye in and go 1000 miles. I'll find out way more when I'm there and I'll find out exactly what has been done, and what we are doing. He did however mention plugs on the phone.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
First step should be an oil change and putting car on oil consumption monitor/test to find out how much oil it's going through, then when results in, pulling plugs to see if oil is present and maybe looking at some other stuff (hook up to diagnostic).

Good luck.
they changed it and had me drive 500 miles, but when i went back to let them check it they told me the guy that was supposed to look at it was gone...so they checked it hot and on an incline...today they asked for the car without looking at it again

Red dragon

Established Member
Update. I picked my car up last Tuesday. They had thr car prepared for the oil consumption test. New spark plugs, oil change, and they said they marked the dip stick. I was told NOT to touch the dipstick. And to drive the car for 1000 miles and bring the car back. I have 500 miles down, if it didnt rain all weekend, I would have got the 1000 miles done by tomorrow. So hopefully I have it done by the end of next week so I can bring it back.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Just got a call from the dealer...new long block is the verdict

Red dragon

Established Member
Congrats, I guess. Just in case I'm in the same situation, are you going to ask your dealer to put the motor tag on your new motor? Just curious if the do it? Matching #'s would be nice even if it's not the same motor.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
No, my car will be far from a collector...it's shadow black, stripe delete, one of the most common color combos and I drive through what looks like an asteroid field on the way to work. I'm just gonna hope the work is done correctly and I get her back sooner than later.

Speaking of, anyone who knows a reputable dealer to do the warranty work close to northeast Arkansas, feel free to message me. My dealer has stated they are not comfortable doing this job, which I completely appreciate the honesty in this situation.

Users who are viewing this thread