High Oil Consumption

Race Red Boss

Established Member
No, my car will be far from a collector...it's shadow black, stripe delete, one of the most common color combos and I drive through what looks like an asteroid field on the way to work. I'm just gonna hope the work is done correctly and I get her back sooner than later.

Speaking of, anyone who knows a reputable dealer to do the warranty work close to northeast Arkansas, feel free to message me. My dealer has stated they are not comfortable doing this job, which I completely appreciate the honesty in this situation.

You might want to try calling Ford Customer service and ask if they can identify a dealer that has experience replacing the long block on the 350. Glad to hear Ford has stepped up on backing their warranty.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
You might want to try calling Ford Customer service and ask if they can identify a dealer that has experience replacing the long block on the 350. Glad to hear Ford has stepped up on backing their warranty.

I like this recommendation or Ford Performance.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys for the tips, i really didn’t know where to start. And the dealer may do this part also, but it never hurts to do a little research on my end.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Thanks guys for the tips, i really didn’t know where to start. And the dealer may do this part also, but it never hurts to do a little research on my end.

In my experience having an oil consumption problem, I had to advocate for myself and push/ask for updates regularly to make sure things progressed. I'd recommend you do the same. Sounds like you're on your way. You spent a good amount of $$ on the 350, so definitely have a lot at stake and hopefully Ford respects.

Once you/Ford determine a competent dealer to do the work, I'd be inclined to want to talk to them myself and get a feeling of confidence (or not). I don't think the engine removal and install is really that uncommon or that the GT350 is any more complicated than another Mustang or other vehicle for that matter.....they all have the basic same components, i.e. Motor, Tranny, suspension, electrical, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree that it should be pretty straight forward, and i think part of the issue was they attempted the splitter...twice...and failed horribly. The guy didn't even open the bags of hardware that came with the new splitter, he just cobbled together mismatched bolts and clips til it was hanging on just good enough to pull it outta the shop. Yeah they fired that guy.

My salesman is awesome and I will buy from him as long as I need another Ford, but neither of us can trust their service department at this time. I will definitely be talking to the shop taking on this job to make sure they can treat it with respect. And I will be proactive, as I'm ready to drive the gal again.

Zemedici

Established Member
I agree that it should be pretty straight forward, and i think part of the issue was they attempted the splitter...twice...and failed horribly. The guy didn't even open the bags of hardware that came with the new splitter, he just cobbled together mismatched bolts and clips til it was hanging on just good enough to pull it outta the shop. Yeah they fired that guy.

My salesman is awesome and I will buy from him as long as I need another Ford, but neither of us can trust their service department at this time. I will definitely be talking to the shop taking on this job to make sure they can treat it with respect. And I will be proactive, as I'm ready to drive the gal again.

wowzers, stay away from that Ford dealer.....

Osiris

Established Member
Kills me that the dealer actually told you they're not comfortable doing this repair....Used to be a dealership couldn't sell the performance products unless the shop had trained techs and the proper tools...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Red dragon

Established Member
I'm at 600 miles out of 1000 on my test. Starting to see the oil pressure go down now from the time it started. Also seeing the oil get hotter then usual. Could be from the weather though, today was 80*. My guess is I'm down a few quarts at this point. Going to interesting to see exactly how many it burnt when I hit 1000.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
So when an engine is chugging oil and needs to be replaced, what exactly is the defect in the motor??

Usually piston rings or valves not providing enough seal, which allows oil to get into the combustion chamber and then burnt off. Funny thing is, at least in my case, Ford wasn't interested in having the dealer opening the motor to find out; they simply did the oil consumption test and with the proof of that was good enough to order a new complete engine...aka Long Block.

Red dragon

Established Member
I was thinking about something today while I was driving around. Question, because the rings or valves are not making a seal, and that's why I might be losing oil. Then I have to be losing a pretty good amount of power also, correct?

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I was thinking about something today while I was driving around. Question, because the rings or valves are not making a seal, and that's why I might be losing oil. Then I have to be losing a pretty good amount of power also, correct?

Depending on how bad it is.....yes. Compression would be lost, so would reduce your HP. The dealer would need to do a compression/leak down test to verify.

Zemedici

Established Member
Usually piston rings or valves not providing enough seal, which allows oil to get into the combustion chamber and then burnt off. Funny thing is, at least in my case, Ford wasn't interested in having the dealer opening the motor to find out; they simply did the oil consumption test and with the proof of that was good enough to order a new complete engine...aka Long Block.

I would safely say there's no need to do that because Ford knows what the problem is.....

Established Member
I would safely say there's no need to do that because Ford knows what the problem is.....
I bet you're right, but they would also learn more by the engineers dissecting at the factory. I think we will eventually hear what the root cause is since the truth comes out a little at a time.

It sucks you guys are going through this. Hey Red Dragon, did you buy your car new or used?

Red dragon

Established Member
I bet you're right, but they would also learn more by the engineers dissecting at the factory. I think we will eventually hear what the root cause is since the truth comes out a little at a time.

It sucks you guys are going through this. Hey Red Dragon, did you buy your car new or used?
I bought mine used with 9,000 miles on it. It was guzzling oil as soon as I got it. So I'm sure whoever owned was going through oil also.. I've only owned the car for a month and a half or so... The good thing is my dealer didnt waste anytime with the matter, have been doing everything to make it right. Need about 300 miles to complete the test, I'll get that in this weekend and I'll be bringing car back Tuesday

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I bought mine used with 9,000 miles on it. It was guzzling oil as soon as I got it. So I'm sure whoever owned was going through oil also.. I've only owned the car for a month and a half or so... The good thing is my dealer didnt waste anytime with the matter, have been doing everything to make it right. Need about 300 miles to complete the test, I'll get that in this weekend and I'll be bringing car back Tuesday

Is there a Low Oil indicator on the cluster? Might need to put the car in accessory mode to see it if it exists...as the idiot lights don't stay on long once you turn the car on. Given the 350's take approx. 10 quarts of oil (if they filled it completely) will be very interesting to see how many you've gone through in the 1000 miles.

Drewsky65

Established Member
Regardless of all of this testing and what not. I think we all know the motor needs to come out and have a new long block put in. Period. After all of this I would not feel comfortable with the car the way it is. You just bought this car and it’s brand new to you. You don’t deserve all this nonsense. Good thing is that u will have a brand new motor in a brand new car to you! I’m about 99% sure we all know the outcome of this. Let’s just have ford get to the point like yesterday

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Regardless of all of this testing and what not. I think we all know the motor needs to come out and have a new long block put in. Period. After all of this I would not feel comfortable with the car the way it is. You just bought this car and it’s brand new to you. You don’t deserve all this nonsense. Good thing is that u will have a brand new motor in a brand new car to you! I’m about 99% sure we all know the outcome of this. Let’s just have ford get to the point like yesterday

I can tell you from my own personal experience with having my nearly new 12 Boss 302 need a new long block that I was initially pretty upset and discouraged. Similar to the GT350, the car was launched as the best all round/balanced Mustang with lots of fanfare/hype. I was happy though that Ford stepped up to do the right thing though.

I do believe that when you go to sell there is a bit of a stigma when you tell the buyer you've had a major repair like an engine replacement and I experienced that first hand when I sold mine. The buyer did say he was initially turned off when he saw that the car had the long block replaced recently (with so few miles on it), but then commented that it was like getting a brand new car.....

Drewsky65

Established Member
I can tell you from my own personal experience with having my nearly new 12 Boss 302 need a new long block that I was initially pretty upset and discouraged. Similar to the GT350, the car was launched as the best all round/balanced Mustang with lots of fanfare/hype. I was happy though that Ford stepped up to do the right thing though.

I do believe that when you go to sell there is a bit of a stigma when you tell the buyer you've had a major repair like an engine replacement and I experienced that first hand when I sold mine. The buyer did say he was initially turned off when he saw that the car had the long block replaced recently (with so few miles on it), but then commented that it was like getting a brand new car.....

Kinda the way I see it also. If I picked up your car or a 350 with a new block in it. I would look at it both ways. One that it isn’t the original motor and tow that’s it’s a brand new car pretty much and the bugs have been worked out of it

Red dragon

Established Member
Reached 1000 miles Sunday, dropped car off yesterday at dealer. When I was there they checked dipstick, bone dry. So now I sat and wait. They will talk to ford and take direction from them again as to what is next. I'm sure they have to dump all the oil and see what I burnt though. So hopefully I know what is next soon.

Users who are viewing this thread