High Oil Consumption

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
From what I know, Ford has made an addendum to the GT350 owners manual, and I've heard from 2-3 quarts a week is deemed 'normal'

So the engine replacements have stopped across the board.

@13COBRA do you have the addendum on the GT350 oil issues?
That would make sense as there was a guy last week that burned 3 quarts in 1100 miles...was told its “normal” by the dealer. Which, up to this point, has always been less than 500 miles per quart.

So my question would be to someone who knows way more about engines than I...is this an actual problem? Or is it just a quirk of the car that doesn’t actually create an issue?

I don’t mind adding oil at all...you can’t see smoke when i gun it, and the car runs hard and is simply a blast to drive. It’s just that the amount i have to add keeps increasing, making me think something is going on

Red dragon

Established Member
That would make sense as there was a guy last week that burned 3 quarts in 1100 miles...was told its “normal” by the dealer. Which, up to this point, has always been less than 500 miles per quart.

So my question would be to someone who knows way more about engines than I...is this an actual problem? Or is it just a quirk of the car that doesn’t actually create an issue?

I don’t mind adding oil at all...you can’t see smoke when i gun it, and the car runs hard and is simply a blast to drive. It’s just that the amount i have to add keeps increasing, making me think something is going on
Great question... It seems insane to have to add a quart every 2 fill ups, but if its normal, it's normal. I love my car and it's not a deal breaker for me. But if that's the new normal, how come not

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Took mine to the dealer today to let them check the oil...per usual after telling me to come by when i hit 500 miles, anytime, the special unicorn guy with the paperwork ain’t there...so might have to go back Monday...cool, thanks for the heads up.

So guy says well lemme go ahead and check it...car is parked on an incline(a fairly big one) and I JUST shut it off from a curvy road drive....i even mentioned i do it by the manual, waiting for 15 minutes...in one ear and out the other. So wait i will

Established Member
Still the disbeliever I am, but thinking about burning a qt every 500 miles:

1. It must get into the combustion chamber some way:

- Through PCV system this should be prevented with the oil catch cans and I've not seen that the cans are catching this much oil

- By the oil rings which should be detectable by a compression check

- Past the valve guides not sure how to diagnose this, anyone?

2. The Cat's will be getting destroyed by the oil, so if you have this big of a problem, there would be evidence in the cats and cat life

3. The exhaust tips would have a oily film build-up, not black carbon, pretty easy to tell the difference.

Ford would know exactly what is going on because they will not be replacing 20k motors and not studying the reason. If they are replacing the long block, then that indicates the issue is not the valve guides in the heads and this would indicate some type of cylinder/ring issue which should have a compression symptom, pretty easy to request this test.

Last edited:

Red dragon

Established Member
I'm thinking that's what this dye test is for. They're gonna open it up soon and see where the dye went. So I'm not so sure ford knows where the oil is going. If they did, why even bother with this test, maybe it's going in a few different places. And not only that, it seems my car is the first Guinea pig. My dealer is conducting the oil consumption test, underr the direction of ford. Nobody here has heard of this before. So it sounds like they're still trying to figure this out.

Established Member
Nobody here has heard of this before. So it sounds like they're still trying to figure this out.

All of a sudden in other threads I'm reading about the "famous Voodoo Oil Consumption" and ford "replacing an engine a week"... so if you're the only one then there's a lot of misinformed people and fake news.

The good news is it's not rocket science and even if it was they will figure it out, the truth comes out a little at a time.

Red dragon

Established Member
I'm sorry, I wasnt saying I'm the only 1 with an oil eating monster. I meant to say I'm the first I've heard of where the dealer is performing the actual oil consumption test. Everyone else I've seen does the driving themselves, and goes back to dealer with x amount of miles. My dealer has my car, and they are doing everything under direction from ford.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
These cars are very foreign at most dealerships, mine included. Even if you’re not a mechanic, you may be the most knowledgeable person about this car as soon as you pull into your dealer lot.

I have to dump my passenger side catch can when i add oil every 500-750 miles. I do not have a driver’s side can.

Also, from what i’ve seen, they do not tell you what is broken or flawed, and ford does minimal testing to try and troubleshoot...they just say new long block. I don’t know if they don’t want the info out there, don’t trust the dealer to do it, or what.

If you do not believe us, then please join the 350 owners group on facebook and see for yourself. The week i started my consumption test, so did 4 others...just like that, popped up out of the woodworks.

Established Member
My dealer has my car, and they are doing everything under direction from ford.

Exactly, Ford has all the relevant data from all previous oil consumption issues reported and Ford SVT would have studied the cases to direct your dealer. You previously said your dealer was very familiar with the issue, maybe you meant Ford SVT?? Regardless, you should expect a timely detailed analysis and summary and I look forward to your sharing the root cause and your case being resolved.

My point is I've not seen evidence of a systemic oil burning issue or real data on motor replacements and previously illustrated the oil leak issues which are well documented and understood and easily resolvable but could cause catastrophic failure if not properly addressed.

Red dragon

Established Member
When I said my dealer is familiar with the issue, I meant the oil consumption issue. They've seen cars come through there that crush oil. They werent shocked when I told them how much oil I went through, and started the test almost immediately with Ford.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh look
42f68967c709e1975023ccf11f4ff4f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member
That's noise, changing topics diverts attention from the issue at hand. I'll hope you guys get your problems sorted tho.

Edited to not be so crustyy

Last edited:

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
If you choose not to believe it, fine. I’m glad your car is perfect, our cars are not. I remember reading about this and seeing it unfold as my car was not consuming any...then it began. So maybe my viewpoint has changed a little. Our cars may be a statistical anomaly, but they might not be either. Carry on old wise one

Red dragon

Established Member
Just got off phone with dealer. They just got the go ahead from Ford to break down motor and look for the dye. So I'm sure if they start Monday I might have some answers mid-end of week. Keep you guys informed. And trust me, I dont like this or am I enjoying it. I would rather have my car. I only had it for 2 weeks. Its finally nice weather, I break my dick all week at work, would be nice to blast around in my car in my spare time. I'm not trying to make the gt350 an internet turd, I actually love my car, and still do right now. I'm embarrassed when people ask where it is. I'm just posting what's going on to inform others. If you own one, you could be next. I was absolutely shocked when I seen the amount of oil it was consuming. I guess you have to see it happen for yourself.

Red dragon

Established Member
Its that's the problem, and they do that, and I end up with a car that performs like most normal ones, I have no problem with that. But if they did that, and it's not the solution, then they're just wasting my time to try to fix their problems... then I will start to get mad. Right now, they have done everything I could ever ask. So, so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread