High Oil Consumption

Chris Shaffer

Who’s having high oil consumption with there Voodoo? This has to be a huge issue when your car is eating a quart of oil every 500 miles. What am I to do with the Whipple I just ordered, because it’s going to be worse?

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
How many miles do you have on the engine ?
Consumption should become less .as you accumulate more miles

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Just an FYI. Car now has 1000 miles. I just checked my passenger / driver's catch cans. Passenger had a dime sized amount of oil, driver's was bone dry. 200 miles after install.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
That's waaaaaaaaaaay too much consumption. You need to take it to a Ford Dealer and get the concern noted and get an oil consumption monitor started. I had the same issue with my 2012 Boss 302. Dealer marked the dip stick after doing a fresh oil change. I brought it back not too long after.....down a quart of oil.Ended up with a brand new long block installed.

Zemedici

Established Member
Guys with GT350s:

read up on this subject, from what I recall there's information about checking your oil level rather frequently in these cars, as they do consume oil. I do not remember the exact amount Ford says is normal, let me do some digging on that.

GT350Stevie

Established Member
So, far so, good. I Did a nice proper break in on the car so the rings would seat properly, for the first 1000.00 miles and dumped the break in oil at 1500. I just put the car to bed with 2300, no oil consumption yet. However I have read that these cars will use oil with spirited driving.

Sent from my STH100-1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Google'd the subject and there is some interesting (and somewhat disturbing) GT350 owner feedback on the Shelby GT350 owners forum and other places....

Here's the link to the GT350 owners forum thread: http://fordshelbygt350forum.com/topic/4436-normal-oil-consumption/

Definitely giving me some pause on buying one.....if it drinks oil like apparently some owners have experienced (quart per 500 miles). Maybe an SVT Poll on the subject should be started?

I guess if you can afford to buy the car, shouldn't be too concerned regardless of it's oil consumption, but I would think the CATS will eventually suffer failure/disintegrate and perhaps that could do further harm to the motor if any gets sucked back up into the exhaust valves?

Last edited:

JimT

Established Member
Read the book on any performance car, They All Consume Oil. Designed too. This is why they sell catch cans for the PCV system on our car.

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Zero chance I'd install an aftermarket blower on an engine under warranty consuming that much oil.
Report the problem to Ford, drive the car like you want to (or a bit harder) and monitor it per Ford's advice. If still consuming oil at a rate your uncomfortable with, then I'd recommend a hard talk with Ford after determining if you like the car enough to rebuild the engine on your own dime if problems arise after Whipple.
-J

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Read the book on any performance car, They All Consume Oil. Designed too. This is why they sell catch cans for the PCV system on our car.

Yes, agreed, however 1 qt. in 500 miles is way beyond the oil vapors that end up pooling in a catch can......typically a few tablespoons between oil changes.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Mine will need a couple quarts every 2000-2500 miles and the catch can gets pretty full pretty quickly...i just add more and go. The ole gal runs good.

Zemedici

Established Member
Zero chance I'd install an aftermarket blower on an engine under warranty consuming that much oil.
Report the problem to Ford, drive the car like you want to (or a bit harder) and monitor it per Ford's advice. If still consuming oil at a rate your uncomfortable with, then I'd recommend a hard talk with Ford after determining if you like the car enough to rebuild the engine on your own dime if problems arise after Whipple.
-J

Listen to my man J here

I would NOT modify a vehicle that has issues already, unless you’re alright with fixing it out of pocket (which a lot of my customers are fine with)

Just something ya gotta think about. I have a few customers who’s cars drink a quart every 500-750 miles.

SlowSVT

Established Member

If a brand new engine is burning 1 quart of oil every 500 miles would mean something went wrong during the build and should be removed and broken down to correct the problem. Engines are not designed to consume oil it's just a byproduct of an internal combustion engine. Ideally no oil should find it's way into the combustion chamber.

If this was on an engine with steel liners a couple of passes with a flexi-hone to scratch the cylinders and new rings would be all that's needed to correct the problem. I'm not sure how this gets approached with the PTWA coated cylinder.

JimT

Established Member
If a brand new engine is burning 1 quart of oil every 500 miles would mean something went wrong during the build and should be removed and broken down to correct the problem. Engines are not designed to consume oil it's just a byproduct of an internal combustion engine. Ideally no oil should find it's way into the combustion chamber.

If this was on an engine with steel liners a couple of passes with a flexi-hone to scratch the cylinders and new rings would be all that's needed to correct the problem. I'm not sure how this gets approached with the PTWA coated cylinder.

Flex hone? Really. Still living in 1970?

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Colleton

Established Member
I'm at ~7,600 miles, ~3K since the last oil change. After checking the oil level, I've used ~3/4 of a quart of oil in 3K miles.

JMO, but there is so much fear and rumor mongering going on about these cars, and I hate it. Just check your oil level every 1-2K miles and add oil as necessary. You'll be fine.

Edit: Oh, and sell the Whipple. Enjoy the car for what it is instead of trying to make it something it isn't. Again, JMO.

ANGREY

Established Member
I don't buy it.

I don't buy "performance engines burn oil" simply because there's little to no consistency with what anecdotal evidence is being presented from everyone.

If everyone was saying "my car burns half a quart every 1000 miles like clockwork" and everyone else was in total agreement/confirmation, I'd say okay.

But it's all over the map. And that tells me the engine specs/assembly is all over the map. Not good.

Secondly, no one, (which is shocking to me) has been able to tell us why the engines are losing oil. Is it oil that's working through the rings into the heads and being burned out? Is it simply oil that's making it's way through the IAC and into the intake and being burned out?

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it's not bad seals or gaskets and people are physically leaking oil.

In summary, it's alarming simply because it's not consistent with every engine. If it was all the same it would be a hole lot less concerning.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I don't buy it.

I don't buy "performance engines burn oil" simply because there's little to no consistency with what anecdotal evidence is being presented from everyone.

If everyone was saying "my car burns half a quart every 1000 miles like clockwork" and everyone else was in total agreement/confirmation, I'd say okay.

But it's all over the map. And that tells me the engine specs/assembly is all over the map. Not good.

Secondly, no one, (which is shocking to me) has been able to tell us why the engines are losing oil. Is it oil that's working through the rings into the heads and being burned out? Is it simply oil that's making it's way through the IAC and into the intake and being burned out?

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it's not bad seals or gaskets and people are physically leaking oil.

In summary, it's alarming simply because it's not consistent with every engine. If it was all the same it would be a hole lot less concerning.

I agree....the inconsistency of the reports here are alarming. It could be caused by leaking oil.....but you would think with that amount you would either see evidence on the ground, or smell it being burned off on CATs or other hot engine part(s) while being driven?

When I had oil consumption concerns with my 12 Boss 302, I recall the dealer speaking with the Ford Engineering "hot" line and the feedback was that 1 Litre of oil per 4K kms. was an acceptable amount. I was using 1 litre for every 1-1.2K kms. so they ended up replacing the entire long block. Not sure if Ford Engineering gets the motor back for analysis or not, but was just happy to get a new long block....and to no longer have an oil consumption issue (that 5W-50 isn't exactly cheap) afterwards.

I had a JLT Oil separator on the passenger side and it did collect some oil, but no where near the amount being consumed, so have to believe it was getting burnt off during combustion. Dealer did a number of tests to satisfy Ford Engineering before they agreed to replace the long block.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
don't you guys think we'd notice puddles of oil underneath the car?

Users who are viewing this thread