Hellion single 76 bb/billet wheel build thread

TRBO VNM

Damn man, that suxs. Luckily I have never had that problem. Did you still have the up-pipe loose on the exhaust manifold? Gotta make sure everything is loose so there is "wiggle" room. then once everything is fitted, start tightening things down with critical points being first. It works every time for me. And you need to make sure those don't go in cross threaded. It is very tight with the gate and recirc pipe and cross threading those bolts can be easy. After seeing mild steel piping rusting to crap on some cars, I will be doing stainless from now on.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Oh yeah, you shouldn't have to take everything off and if you didn't cross thread them, you may not need to go through the pain of drilling/tapping. you might be able to get like a small flat head and hammer or just use the flat head and try turning the bolt through or back out from the other side. I have done that before on other bolts.

Last edited:

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
So should I get some grade 8 or 10.9 bolts and toss the stainless? I've got the same setup u do.
Well I weld for a living and I know from experience that stainless reacts big time with heat. The tapped holes were fine before they welded the flange to the pipe but after the heat from welding it it basically shrank the threaded bolt holes. I recommend maybe running a tap through them before twisting a bolt off in them. If it doesnt go easy don't force it. I had it almost tight then they just gaulded up and broke.....
Oh yeah, you shouldn't have to take everything off and if you didn't cross thread them, you may not need to go through the pain of drilling/tapping. you might be able to get like a small flat head and hammer or just use the flat head and try turning the bolt through or back out from the other side. I have done that before on other bolts.
There so tight that vise grips can't get one out. I'm going to have to drill it for sure. If I can't get a drill in there straight then I'm going to pull the piping off to do it right.... Yes I had all the up piping tight because I had all of it where it goes and have the turbo bracket in place. The waste gate was lined up perfectly, the bolt holes were just too tight. I should have went and bought a tap and ran through them prior to trying to mount the gate. Just hope I don't have to pull all that piping back off.....

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Luckily I got them drilled out and re tapped them pretty easily. Didn't even have to take it off the car to do it.

For any body installing this kit, what you should do is this. Try to screw the bolts into the flange by hand and if they don't go stop there and run a tap through it then before trying to force them in.

The tap is a 8mm with 1.25 thread pitch.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
update?

pics?

:D

Sorry guys! I've been busy working on this thing.

All of the cold and hot side piping is done and tight. Turbo is mounted and tight on the bracket. Coolant crossover is on with the polished coolant pipe mounted to the thermo housing.

All that is left to do is:

Throttle cable/ it's on the way
Drill holes for map sensor/map sensor is on the way
Weld in the 3" exaust cutout/also on the way
Run vacuum lines to wastegate
Last but not least, find some true forged wheels to make my car look as good as it will run!!! :rockon:

zeusha

Established Member
Thats amazing, I been threading about the same thing Im happy to see someone do it before me lol. Cant wait for final look installed and maybe some numbers.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Sorry fellas! I've been working like a borrowed mule lately and haven't done too much to the car.

The things I have done are
Got the battery relocate finished up
Got me a turbo smart e boost 2 boost controller

When I get home from Cali I'll be hooking up the boost controller and drilling the holes in my upper intake for the map sensor and she's pretty much done. I think I'll be getting a 1/2" or bigger intake spacer while I'm gone, I hear they help a bit on spool but if not o well it looks cool! Haha

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
UPDATE!!!!!!

Got home from Cali a few days ago and started finishing up the car! I fired it up today and I had a fuel leak on the passenger side fuel rail on the top of the rear injector. I figures it was a o ring. Took the rail off and the o rings are good and when I was putting it back on I see that the rail is hitting the intake! So as I tighten the rail down it is twisting the rail off the injectors. Tomorrow I'll be pulling the rail again to grind down the back side of the rail to get that problem cleared.

As far as the car running, it ran great with ZERO exaust leaks! Fired right up first try then I found the fuel leak and killed it real quick. I'll hopefully drive her around the block tomorrow to see if I have everything straight.

Ohh yea and check this out!! Steve hooked me up with some poon pullers for my car!!
d9d0d01b.jpg

85c94e1d.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics I'll get some better ones tomorrow and a short vid of her idling!

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Need motor pics! Those are one of the few TF wheels I don't like at all though... Too bling bling and don't match the car well at all IMO.

TRBO VNM

Awesome man. your cutting a hole in the hood for that fuel line right? :poke:

Looks great and really like those wheels. :D

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Contests on the car. It looks great! And Welcome back to Cali Cali Cali!
Thanks man! I just got home from Cali, I'm in Louisiana now! Haha
Need motor pics! Those are one of the few TF wheels I don't like at all though... Too bling bling and don't match the car well at all IMO.
That's a slap in the face..... Lol I'll have motor pics this evening sir.

Awesome man. your cutting a hole in the hood for that fuel line right? :poke:

Looks great and really like those wheels. :D
The fuel line actually lays down more than that when I have it all situated. Plus I have a 3.5" cowl hood still going on. I'll need it one day because I'm sure I'll wind up with a Sullivan before I'm dead. Thanks for the comment on the wheels.... OP hurt my feelings.... Hahaha just kidding!

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Well I got the fuel leak stopped and fired it up today and when the tps is plugged in it idles at like 2000-2300 for some reason. It's a bbk tps so I grabbed a stocker out of the shop and it does the same think. Unplug the tps and it idles at 1000 like a new car. Iono!? Lol

I should be getting a start up tune tomorrow, the tune that's on there now is my dyno tune from the 3.4. Same maf but the injectors are 63's instead of 60's. Don't know how much difference that will make on the tune but maybe the idle problem will go away with a start up tune tomorrow.

I made a short video to show how the car acts with the tps plugged in and unplugged.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP5MpZpI7qU&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Turbo 04 cobra first start up tps problem - YouTube[/nomedia]

HIPSI

Established Member
well i got the fuel leak stopped and fired it up today and when the tps is plugged in it idles at like 2000-2300 for some reason. It's a bbk tps so i grabbed a stocker out of the shop and it does the same think. Unplug the tps and it idles at 1000 like a new car. Iono!? Lol

i should be getting a start up tune tomorrow, the tune that's on there now is my dyno tune from the 3.4. Same maf but the injectors are 63's instead of 60's. Don't know how much difference that will make on the tune but maybe the idle problem will go away with a start up tune tomorrow.

I made a short video to show how the car acts with the tps plugged in and unplugged.

turbo 04 cobra first start up tps problem - youtube
get rid of that idle air motor its vented to the atmosphere you will blow it up ..thats not a cobra /terminator idle air

Users who are viewing this thread