Hellion 4-inch Downpipe Picss

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
will they pe changing the design of the 4 inch dowpipe to allow better clearance or is he just tweaking your to offer ideas to others installing theirs? can you post pixs of your car to see the stance? i have chewed up my 3 inch downpipe so im sure ill scrape the 4 inch one. i could just raise the front up a bit i guess.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
will they pe changing the design of the 4 inch dowpipe to allow better clearance or is he just tweaking your to offer ideas to others installing theirs? can you post pixs of your car to see the stance? i have chewed up my 3 inch downpipe so im sure ill scrape the 4 inch one. i could just raise the front up a bit i guess.

Not sure if they are gonna change the design. Nelson did end up ovaling mine out as it passes under the k-member, as well as moving the actual mounting of the turbo itself up a little bit. Every little 1/4" helps. At this point I think I can heat the pipe up a little bit and get another 1/2" or so and that's about it. 4" is a pretty big pipe to accomodate under these cars. I will be raising my front end alittle bit to get more clearance and just deal with it from there. I will get a pic of my stance as it sits currently so people can see. I will try and get a pic of the downpipe clearance if I can. But there may be about 3" of clearance from ground to pipe right now. Gonna try to get that extra half inch this week and then raise the front end maybe a 1/4" and go from there. At that point I would have no problem daily driving the car and just avoiding speed bumps, which I had to do with my LT's anyway.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
Not sure if they are gonna change the design. Nelson did end up ovaling mine out as it passes under the k-member, as well as moving the actual mounting of the turbo itself up a little bit. Every little 1/4" helps. At this point I think I can heat the pipe up a little bit and get another 1/2" or so and that's about it. 4" is a pretty big pipe to accomodate under these cars. I will be raising my front end alittle bit to get more clearance and just deal with it from there. I will get a pic of my stance as it sits currently so people can see. I will try and get a pic of the downpipe clearance if I can. But there may be about 3" of clearance from ground to pipe right now. Gonna try to get that extra half inch this week and then raise the front end maybe a 1/4" and go from there. At that point I would have no problem daily driving the car and just avoiding speed bumps, which I had to do with my LT's anyway.

i agree with the lt part. i use to avoid speed bumps like no ones business. are these in stock btw?

Onelfastlride

Established Member
I bought 1 of the down pipe kits from Jason and installed it in my garage.

After installing it I took the car to a local exhaust shop and had the fitment tweaked. The reducers for the Y pipe with the supplied band clamps there is no way they would ever seal. I had the exhaut shop weld in the reducers. One thing he did to pull the pipe up a little bit was swap out the Hellion mid pipe rubber hanger, which looked like a dog bone, and replace it with a solid rubber mount hanger.

It does not fit like the Hellion supplied pipes but that is the compromise you have to make. And not being local to the exhaust shop does not help. I measured from the Kmember to the bottom of the pipe with Hellion stuff before & Mighty Muffler pipe after. Overal I lost approximately 1/2".

Driving impressions.....to me it feels like going from a .81AR to a .96AR. The turbo spools a bit later but once it does it hits harder. Perhaps that comparison makes sense. Larger AR less backpressure, later spool, more top end. You can probably say a larger DP has the same effect, less backpressure. 1st and 2nd gear also seem a bit more lively.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Very good overview of the 4" downpipe. I'm still getting used to mine. Thanks!

I bought 1 of the down pipe kits from Jason and installed it in my garage.

After installing it I took the car to a local exhaust shop and had the fitment tweaked. The reducers for the Y pipe with the supplied band clamps there is no way they would ever seal. I had the exhaut shop weld in the reducers. One thing he did to pull the pipe up a little bit was swap out the Hellion mid pipe rubber hanger, which looked like a dog bone, and replace it with a solid rubber mount hanger.

It does not fit like the Hellion supplied pipes but that is the compromise you have to make. And not being local to the exhaust shop does not help. I measured from the Kmember to the bottom of the pipe with Hellion stuff before & Mighty Muffler pipe after. Overal I lost approximately 1/2".

Driving impressions.....to me it feels like going from a .81AR to a .96AR. The turbo spools a bit later but once it does it hits harder. Perhaps that comparison makes sense. Larger AR less backpressure, later spool, more top end. You can probably say a larger DP has the same effect, less backpressure. 1st and 2nd gear also seem a bit more lively.

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
It's a sore subject with me....Enjoy it you will have a sick set up....I noticed a huge improvement with it.

PS the one on the ground might not be the one you got since they made a few....I counted at least 3-4 one day I popped in.

Care to elaborate about your so-called sore subject? What the hell happened?

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
WTF is that supposed to mean?

Not sure...I liked the symbol though. This one is funny too :smmon: So, back to my original question: What happened to your car that it has become a sore subject. I'm just curious so possibly I, and anyone else, can avoid the same scenario. Can you tell me what "FTW" means? Thanks

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Not sure...I liked the symbol though. This one is funny too :smmon: So, back to my original question: What happened to your car that it has become a sore subject. I'm just curious so possibly I, and anyone else, can avoid the same scenario. Can you tell me what "FTW" means? Thanks
well, that was a pretty bad choice of symbols to use as a response to his post....

FTW = for the win

TRBO VNM

Not sure...I liked the symbol though. This one is funny too :smmon: So, back to my original question: What happened to your car that it has become a sore subject. I'm just curious so possibly I, and anyone else, can avoid the same scenario

the sore subject wasn't because of the downpipe. it was something else.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member

I wrote WTF as in What the F@#k. The symbol you posted means bullshit. Nothing wrong with the down pipe. I had some issues with the shop and I'll leave it at that. It's in the past.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I would be afraid of a loss in exhaust velocity. that may lead to a drop in peak HP. Spooling may be faster tho. Just for the 67 or smaller though. AN 88 would be awesome.

My car made some pretty good numbers with just the 4" downpipe + 3" dual exhaust

this is Lunds quote off of modfords about it's numbers
"I just finished initial low boost Dyno Tuning on this Combo and it peaked 14.6lb of boost, 15 degrees timing, 11.2 A/F on Pump Gas. It made 591 rwhp, 661 rwtq. For the Hellion Guys this exhaust system really brings the HP up above 4000 rpm. I dynoed this same car 8 months ago and it made 29 more HP with 1.3lbs less peak boost. It made very impressive gains."

those numbers were on a mustang dyno....that RWTQ is freaking sick for 14 PSI!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread