Have a confirmed 2017 R allocation but $20k ADM--advice?

BlownAway03

Established Member
I'm thoroughly convinced that the major factor in people clamoring over the R is the hunt. The car is just not that different from the Track pack to warrant this craziness. The other factor is folks looking to turn a profit. Actual drivers that want the car to enjoy as normal are probably just as rare as the car itself.

IM3CPO

Established Member
I just picked up my GT350 Tech Package car today and while I am blown away with it, and cant imagine how awesome the R must be, I could never justify spending $20K over sticker for one.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dave,

Are you saying now that the R's are worth $20k over MSRP?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I think the the MSRP is lower than it should be. It is a ridiculous car for $62k dollars. A buddy of mine had his Cayman GT4 at C&C, MSRP $107k and the GT350R is an all-day every-day no brainer to me over that car, despite the fact they share similar purposes.

Wichard20

Established Member
I think the the MSRP is lower than it should be. It is a ridiculous car for $62k dollars. A buddy of mine had his Cayman GT4 at C&C, MSRP $107k and the GT350R is an all-day every-day no brainer to me over that car, despite the fact they share similar purposes.

just to be fair the GT4 starts at 84 and some change, your buddy loaded his up to hit 107

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

You sound like a politician..giving an answer without giving an answer LOL

I know what you mean though.

BlownAway03

Established Member

You don't like bargains? How can a consumer say a price is lower than it should be ? In my eyes, maybe the GT4 is overpriced.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
You don't like bargains? How can a consumer say a price is lower than it should be ? In my eyes, maybe the GT4 is overpriced.

Super easy. MSRP is well below market price.

If I listed my house for sale and some guy bought it, then sold it 2 weeks later for 20% more, the initial price was too low.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Somebody at Ford had to have pushed back on the exhaust noise levels (and thankfully lost the argument). I just want to thank whoever it was that stayed the course and made it happen. From the handwelded shorty headers to the adjustable mufflers I give Ford an A+.

GT350 is definitely a very Jamal car. But ultimately nothing happens without Raj Nair signing off. All this performance silliness going on really boils down to Raj saying "Do it." There has never been a head of global product development more concerned with performance.

Last edited:

BlownAway03

Established Member
Super easy. MSRP is well below market price.

If I listed my house for sale and some guy bought it, then sold it 2 weeks later for 20% more, the initial price was too low.

These house analogies have got to stop. The GT350 is not priced too low. The supply is too low. Not saying that's a bad thing, since some people seem to feel all special when production numbers are low. Take Dodge for example. Last year people were selling organs to buy Hellcats. 2016 Dodge almost doubles production to combat dealer gouging. Now they're going for msrp, unless you're on the west coast. And you can't even buy gas at a decent price out there. But as I said before, Ford seems to want their hot cars in the hands of collectors not drivers.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
These house analogies have got to stop. The GT350 is not priced too low. The supply is too low. Not saying that's a bad thing, since some people seem to feel all special when production numbers are low. Take Dodge for example. Last year people were selling organs to buy Hellcats. 2016 Dodge almost doubles production to combat dealer gouging. Now they're going for msrp, unless you're on the west coast. And you can't even buy gas at a decent price out there. But as I said before, Ford seems to want their hot cars in the hands of collectors not drivers.

The house analogy is the easiest way to illustrate how economics work to people who have trouble with the subject. It's not a value judgement. It's the relationship between supply and demand. Ford isn't going to devalue their performance brand by stacking dealer lots with shit nobody wants. Deal with it.

We were talking about the GT350R, not the regular GT350. They've already built 4,000+ GT350s. It's not exactly a rare car, and eventually they will be MSRP everywhere, and nothing in the world will change but the volume of crying on internet forums. Even if they wanted to pump out Rs, there are production realities that make that impossible.

Raptors still sell for MSRP, multiple years old, used with miles, after building tens of thousands of them. Are those collector cars? Is Ford concerned about a truck in the hands of collectors? I don't know anybody that ever bought a Raptor to "collect" it.

The real question is why do you care? I never thought about going to a forum about a car I don't own to endlessly complain about the market price. Seems weird.

Last edited:

krt22

Established Member

Why? It's perfectly analogous. In both cases you have a fixed inventory, and building more houses or increasing production isn't always easy or feasible at all. In these cases if demand exceeds supply then the prices adjust accordingly. Not sure why some folks can't accept this simple concept. If ford sold all cars at msrp and demand still exceeded supply, you would simply see the price adjust in the secondary market.

And at 5000 cars a year that is hardly limited by any means and I'm guessing the R is really constrained by suppliers at this point. You can belly ache about it all you want but ford seems to have a good grasp on how to market and produce a car without over saturating the market. Look at what Chevy did with the z28, sold 700ish in the first year and then tripled production, resulting in tons of those things sitting on the lot with huge discounts. The same occurred with many home builders in 08/09 . So the simplistic "they could just make more" view of things isn't always a realistic one.

Last edited:

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
I would never pay ADM for anything. It's not like a car is a medical procedure.

BlownAway03

Established Member
The house analogy is the easiest way to illustrate how economics work to people who have trouble with the subject. It's not a value judgement. It's the relationship between supply and demand. Ford isn't going to devalue their performance brand by stacking dealer lots with shit nobody wants. Deal with it.

We were talking about the GT350R, not the regular GT350. They've already built 4,000+ GT350s. It's not exactly a rare car, and eventually they will be MSRP everywhere, and nothing in the world will change but the volume of crying on internet forums. Even if they wanted to pump out Rs, there are production realities that make that impossible.

Raptors still sell for MSRP, multiple years old, used with miles, after building tens of thousands of them. Are those collector cars? Is Ford concerned about a truck in the hands of collectors? I don't know anybody that ever bought a Raptor to "collect" it.

The real question is why do you care? I never thought about going to a forum about a car I don't own to endlessly complain about the market price. Seems weird.

I respect your opinion but I think you're getting the wrong impression. I don't care at all what these cars are selling for. I like the car, was in the market but the adm's drove me to something else. I'm fine with that. I frequent several forums because I'm a car guy. Forums are about giving opinions, not just praising the home team all day, right? I've had several cars that came to market with adm, so I've seen this before. Not trying to be offensive here.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
GT350 is definitely a very Jamal car. But ultimately nothing happens without Raj Nair signing off. All this performance silliness going on really boils down to Raj saying "Do it." There has never been a head of global product development more concerned with performance.

Then kudos to both of them for squeezing this one through.

dom418

Established Member
Sure the R will be rare but it's the flavor of the week imo, just like the Laguna Seca Boss etc. there will be a better, improved track beast down the road and then what? You'll not only lose your adm but the depreciation that will come as well.

People who pay adm's are suckers. You can't get swept up in the hype as eventual things will calm down, you just have to to patient. Think of everyone who paid an adm for every Shelby since 2007. They all lost their asses. Don't be one of those guys.

liter of cola

Established Member
idk man... every R mustang ford has ever produced as far as I know has been a serious collector car. I don't think they will depreciate like many ppl think. I think they will still be selling R's for 100k 5 years from now. i say go for it if you can afford it.

i can only afford one at msrp but all i know is if i somehow magically get an R i will be driving it and will be keeping it for life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread