Have a confirmed 2017 R allocation but $20k ADM--advice?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I didn't expect to be in this position, but a very small local dealership won a lottery for an R allocation.
The owner backed out and I am in the position to purchase.
The car has an order placed in colors I don't want, but the order has not been picked up, so that can be changed. With a refundable $10k deposit, I could order it exactly as I want.
I was out of the office yesterday and didn't get the message, so they placed the allocation on a national website for $100k but no deposit yet, just a few calls.
So, I need to make a decision and give a $10k deposit ASAP.
I also have a contact at Ford I didn't have when I ordered my '14 GT500 and could likely watch the car built in the plant, so this $20k I never would have considered has me thinking of doing it, would be roughly $86k.
What do you guys think?
-J
:beer:

93oh

Established Member
86? It's only money won't be your regret lying on deathbed. What do you want to do?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I personally think it's crazy to pay that much of an ADM.

BUT, if you could go watch it get built that's worth several thousand dollars to me, so that helps eat in to it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wouldn't. '18 could see a new GT500 and you might decide that's the one for you.
DBK debunked that. Looks like 2019+.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
'14 GT500 stays either way.
I have a '66 GT350H in the garage awaiting restoration and my dad has a '67 GT500 that'll I'll eventually buy so adding a modern GT350 has some value to me.
If I pass it's just a timing thing as I just started my garage build and the GT500 engine, plus I'd have to retract my deposit on a CPO ML63 AMG that was to be my DD. The ML63 and my '93 Cobra would be gone if I do the '17 350R.
Tough call, I just think $20k is steep.

He said they're firm at $20k, they can "easily get $100k" nationally, which may or may not be true.
Tough decision coming up, pretty sure my wife won't be pleased ;-)
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I personally think it's crazy to pay that much of an ADM.

BUT, if you could go watch it get built that's worth several thousand dollars to me, so that helps eat in to it.

I hear ya, and I think we're both more GT500 street power guys, but it's a rare opportunity, especially the plant opportunity as I'm so close.

Do you have any guess how many Rs they will produce? Done after '17 or continue into '18?
If your dealership had an R allocation, what ADM would you predict? What would another dealer pay for the allocation?
Could I drive end of year and sell before winter for same money?
-J

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hear ya, and I think we're both more GT500 street power guys, but it's a rare opportunity, especially the plant opportunity as I'm so close.

Do you have any guess how many Rs they will produce? Done after '17 or continue into '18?
If your dealership had an R allocation, what ADM would you predict? What would another dealer pay for the allocation?
Could I drive end of year and sell before winter for same money?
-J

I agree, I'm definitely more of a torque kinda guy.

Honest to God, if I were in your shoes, I would pay a couple grand to go tour the plant and watch them make one...then not buy one.

They're great cars, I have no doubt. But for $85k there are SO MANY cars out there that outperform it. At MSRP, yeah I think it's a deal...but $20k over? Not worth it in my opinion.

I have no idea on production #'s. If I got an allocation, I'd sell it to a dealer. I wouldn't even want to retail it. I couldn't begin to ask someone that kind of money for one, but if a dealer is offering to pay it, I'd move it. With that being said, I wouldn't sell it at MSRP to a consumer when I could be getting $20k+ from a dealer.

If you're wanting to buy it, drive it through summer, then sell it.... I would tell you to stay away from ANY new vehicle. I would buy a late model sports car with low miles. Even a couple year old Vette will hold it's money better than paying $20k over MSRP for a 350R.

If you wanted to buy it and keep it, I'd say it's worth whatever it is to you..but since you're talking about selling it within a year, I promise you that you'll lose your ass.

conceptmachine

Established Member
Depends on your situation J. That seems to be the norm. 20 to 40k. Some higher...very few lower.
I went ahead and paid the adm. Sure....they may extend the production of them but a refresh maybe? and no R? No car is a good investment but your R will loose little to no money. You will quite possibly loose the full 20k though

BlownAway03

Established Member
Don't know your financial prowess but paying $20k on what's likely a depreciating asset seems very wreckless to me. Since you have to ask opinions you must kinda think the same thing. Think about all you can do with $20,000. Putting it towards a car is like stopping on the corner and giving it to a crackhead. Actually I think the latter would be a better idea. Don't get caught up in all the hype only to have buyers remorse when it's time to sell, or even before that.

HighTorque

Established Member
15k would be fair for the car since 17's are coming soon.

Dealer in my area wants 70k over msrp for 17 r so 15k is a steal lol

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For all you guys willing to accept KNOWINGLY losing $20k in less than a year, loan me some money.

If you're under the idea that the car will appreciate, you're a little more sane in taking the risk...wrong nonetheless...but more sane.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

James Rodriguez

Established Member
I would not give one cent over MSRP to the dealer. That is straight cash in their pocket. The reason is just because.

No thanks.

James Rodriguez

Established Member
I would not give one cent over MSRP to the dealer. That is straight cash in their pocket. The reason is just because.

No thanks.

NELCO

Established Member
I would not pay 20K over MSRP, I paid 5K for my 500 and was find with that. These cars are like computers there is always something faster and better coming all the time.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Personally I could stomach 10k over for an R. Simply based on the market and availability I think that's reasonable. Maybe not fair, but reasonable. I also understand that deal is near impossible to find. 40k is the norm right now. Even with a drop in hype 20k will be the norm AT BEST.

20k over is steep to me. But money is really relative to the individual, how much you make, how much you want the car to only have ever been yours, and how much you value money, are cars your only real hobby, etc

I would only spend what you are comfortable with. If the dollars make sense to your bank account and family then the 20k won't matter the first time you sit in the car and press the little red button. Everyone hunting for an R at MSRP is looking for a deal they probably won't find. Some guy may say he found one for 0-20k ADM in some town somewhere but so what. Unfortunately not everyone will be in a position to own one of these even if they had the cash. The guys finding incredible deals will likely have some pull or relationship with a dealer to make that happen. If you plop down 10k you realistically have 7-8 months before the car is built and plenty of time to pull out of the deal if the market chsnges.

conceptmachine

Established Member
They are hard to find at 10K and the lowest I've seen with an actual allocation. I had msrp deals for Rs 2 times, only to find out later they were not R models. It sounds like your not hurting for cash so I'd do what with you feel comfortable. I'm not hurting for money but I have my limits in what I feel it's worth. So it all boils down to what it's worth to YOU. Car won't appreciate but I would expect it to hold its value fairly well compared to the GT350, though just speculating. Consider the adm lost money though and call it a day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread