GUNS: Riot buying edition!

Blackoyote

Established Member
Anyone got their hands on a new 57 yet?

Really want one (for no good reason), but they seem to be out everywhere OR above MSRP, which I'm not paying for a Ruger lol.

Recon

Established Member
I just ordered 400 more rounds of Federal LE HST 124 grain 9mm for my personal defense stockpile. I have a Target Sports facility 10 minutes away, so I'm fortunate to be able to safe on shipping and pick it up myself.

Nice.
The 300 rounds are military surplus ammo. 100 rounds of 7.62x54R, 100 rounds of .303 Brit, and 100 rounds of .308 U.S.A. Friend of mine has the ammo, but he doesn’t want to turn loose of a lot of it. The more we look the more we find ammo that he’s forgotten he has.

Pick your poison.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I just ordered 400 more rounds of Federal LE HST 124 grain 9mm for my personal defense stockpile. I have a Target Sports facility 10 minutes away, so I'm fortunate to be able to safe on shipping and pick it up myself.

where did you order from, Bob? How was the price?

M91196

Established Member
Yes and no. Trust me, I get what you mean by what you can accomplish with it and I agree that it does breed marksmanship proficiency and puts you through some stress but it isn't the same type of stress and it isn't exactly real tactics. From my experience, training guys in combat tactics who came over from IPSC competition shooting can be both amusing and frustrating, especially if there are egos. I would recommend getting a good combat tactics foundation under your belt first if courses are available to you, and then once you have an understanding of tactics then get into competition shooting so you know what you can carry over and what you can't, because combat tactics are what you are going to be applying in a real life violent confrontation.

I wish I could afford to take classes as often as I can afford to compete, but Proctor, Vogel and Stoeger training weekends are a rare treat these days.

America is great, we have options. I don’t need room clearing skills in my life, my primary mission as a father, husband and civilian, is to avoid the need, at all costs, but if I do have to yank that smoke pole I am gonna get as many hits as fast as possible and fairly certain I won’t worry about squeezing the trigger at the end of a press out. Seems like a lot of enterTrainment and fantasy camp with some instructors these days.

And I hear you, I have shot many matches with the firearms instructor cadre of various LE and they typically get waxed on the standard exercises in USPSA by an A class shooter. If my kids were going in harms way I would want a wide variety of training, that’s for sure

Anyone involved with any type of shooting and keeping themselves and others safe is doing the right thing, so keep practicing and stay safe!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Best in class. HST or Underwood is all I carry
I love it! A friend of mine (local cop) uses it in his service 9mm. I accidentally ordered two boxes (50 rounds each) of +P HST last year, but fortunately both my S&W M&P Shield and HK VP9-SK can handle it. I actually just noticed it this morning when I was getting my online order ready for submission.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
where did you order from, Bob? How was the price?
I always use Target Sports. Their prices are decent but they also have two office nearby, so it's easy to pick up and I don't have to worry about an order setting on my front step in the hot sun (or rain).

I paid .80 per round. Each 50-round box was $39.99. For those who might use a lot of ammo at the gun range, you can get an annual Prime Ammo Membership for $95 a year. I don't have a membership because while I try to visit the range at least twice a month, it never ends up working out, so I probably wouldn't personally benefit from the perks. The following info comes from their website (Target Sports USA - Free Shipping On Bulk Ammo & All Firearms).

Prime Ammo Membership Benefits

Buy Ammo at Wholesale Pricing
- Buy ammo at discounted pricing all year long, no coupon codes required!
Free Shipping on ALL Orders
- We always offer free shipping on bulk orders, with Prime you will receive free shipping on every order!
Exclusive Ammo Deals
- Members only emails with discounts and rebates direct from the manufacturer!
Order Priority
- Prime Ammo Members have priority for order shipment, inventory allocation, and in-stock product alerts!
Free Mystery Ammo Box
- During the 3rd quarter of the first year of your membership, you will receive free ammo based on your purchase history!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I always use Target Sports. Their prices are decent but they also have two office nearby, so it's easy to pick up and I don't have to worry about an order setting on my front step in the hot sun (or rain).

I paid .80 per round. Each 50-round box was $39.99. For those who might use a lot of ammo at the gun range, you can get an annual Prime Ammo Membership for $95 a year. I don't have a membership because while I try to visit the range at least twice a month, it never ends up working out, so I probably wouldn't personally benefit from the perks. The following info comes from their website (Target Sports USA - Free Shipping On Bulk Ammo & All Firearms).

Prime Ammo Membership Benefits

Buy Ammo at Wholesale Pricing
- Buy ammo at discounted pricing all year long, no coupon codes required!
Free Shipping on ALL Orders
- We always offer free shipping on bulk orders, with Prime you will receive free shipping on every order!
Exclusive Ammo Deals
- Members only emails with discounts and rebates direct from the manufacturer!
Order Priority
- Prime Ammo Members have priority for order shipment, inventory allocation, and in-stock product alerts!
Free Mystery Ammo Box
- During the 3rd quarter of the first year of your membership, you will receive free ammo based on your purchase history!

Thank you for the detailed response, Bob. Gonna have to give these guys a shot.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you for the detailed response, Bob. Gonna have to give these guys a shot.

SG is a close second. SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated Ammo Sales, Stillwater OK Their email list is one of the rare ones worth subscribing to. I have bought ammo for less than wholesale many times through these guys and have a crate full of bonded HP Ranger 40 cal that I got for the cost of range ammo. This is the absolute shizznit in self defense ammo if you are not familiar.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I wish I could afford to take classes as often as I can afford to compete, but Proctor, Vogel and Stoeger training weekends are a rare treat these days.

America is great, we have options. I don’t need room clearing skills in my life, my primary mission as a father, husband and civilian, is to avoid the need, at all costs, but if I do have to yank that smoke pole I am gonna get as many hits as fast as possible and fairly certain I won’t worry about squeezing the trigger at the end of a press out. Seems like a lot of enterTrainment and fantasy camp with some instructors these days.

And I hear you, I have shot many matches with the firearms instructor cadre of various LE and they typically get waxed on the standard exercises in USPSA by an A class shooter. If my kids were going in harms way I would want a wide variety of training, that’s for sure

Anyone involved with any type of shooting and keeping themselves and others safe is doing the right thing, so keep practicing and stay safe!

When I was instructing I was getting some of our regular marksmanship students up to speed in combat tactics in just a weekend. Having small groups and being able to work with them one on one is the key, but the biggest factor is the shooter having a solid marksmanship base under them already. It makes the learning so much faster because you can focus on the tactics as opposed to military training where you are trying to cram all of this into the minds of soldiers or Marines that are still trying to grasp the basics of marksmanship and safety of firearms training. If you find the right courses you could pick up a wealth of knowledge in just 1 or 2 classes spanning over a weekend. CQB is another animal though. The school is 8 weeks straight of marksmanship and clearing tactics and it takes all of that time to get the basics down.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
Have you shot a pistol grip shotgun? They are fun for about 5 minutes, at least in my experience. Get something with a stock even a tactical style stock with pistol grip

I have a maverick 88 and have to agree it is stupid simple and reliable. I see them go on sale for 169-200 bucks all the time. Mine probably has 1500-2000 shells through it with 0 issues. Not the nicest shotgun by any means but its a nice backup to have for under 200 bucks and it goes boom every time.

I’ve also put thousands of rounds through mine with no issues. Been having it over 20 years. I’ve shot it in clay tournaments, dove hunts, deer hunts,and used it more than once for home defense. Didn’t have to fire it in those cases, but I had no doubt that it would do fine.

I was going to buy an 18.5” barrel to swap out my 28”, but the gun is so cheap I can get the whole thing new for not much more than the cost of a new barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
SG is a close second. SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated Ammo Sales, Stillwater OK Their email list is one of the rare ones worth subscribing to. I have bought ammo for less than wholesale many times through these guys and have a crate full of bonded HP Ranger 40 cal that I got for the cost of range ammo. This is the absolute shizznit in self defense ammo if you are not familiar.
I was actually looking at SGAmmo this morning before I ordered. Good stuff.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member

Really want one (for no good reason), but they seem to be out everywhere OR above MSRP, which I'm not paying for a Ruger lol.
I'm patiently waiting for my local shop to get one...I'm #2 on the wait list

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Ammoseek (I found through someone else on this site) does wonders. Search engine for ammo, searches all the main sites, lots of filter options, and always finds the best deals available.

Posts and likes are not mine.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member

I never heard of the Ruger 57, I think it just bumped a smoothed and chopped fullsize M&P40 as my next pistol purchase. I now remember why I stopped going to Arfcom lol.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ammoseek (I found through someone else on this site) does wonders. Search engine for ammo, searches all the main sites, lots of filter options, and always finds the best deals available.

Posts and likes are not mine.
Thanks for that link. I'll save it for future needs.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I gotta get two holsters this week. One the hellcat and one for the sig 320.

I have a we the people own for my g43 which I really like, I may get one of those for the hellcat...looking at alien for the sig320

Users who are viewing this thread