GUNS: Riot buying edition!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Looking to keep this specifically about firearms in the new era of rioting. In light of all the recent stupidity in our country, I know that the 2A is finally getting recognized for being important in traditionally non-2A crowds. Gun stores and online retailers are barren of the everyday guns. IF you do find them, everything's got at least 10-20% markup. lol just when everything was getting restocked from the Covidiocy, ammo is all gone again haha.

I just bought a new Aero Precision AR barrel and BCG for my Franken-AR. 1:7 twist and CMV 4150. BCG is 8620 tool steel with a 9310 steel bolt. I didnt want Carpenter 158 steel for the bolt. Nitride finish on both barrel and BCG. My currently barrel didnt size nicely with the new Brownells BCG I bought. Thats what I get for building my AR with a no-name barrel and bolt 5 years ago. Aero Precision confirmed that pairing one of their Barrels with one of their bolts ensures its correctly headspaced. ...take my money.

So, what have you guys picked up since this all went down?

venmos1

Established Member
S
Nice! Glad it was still there. Are you going to go for a concealed carry permit?

So Maine does not have a concealed carry requirement. You can open carry. I need to research more. From what I was told at the gun shop, with a conc carry permit you can carry a loaded gun. Without permit it cannot be loaded. Not sure if that.means chambered or loaded magazine.in gun and none loaded.
But to answer your question, yes I do plan to get cc permit anyway. Hand guns are new to me, and I want to learn as much as I can.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I'm contemplating picking up a FN57 or AR pistol. I mean the FN57 is bad ass, concealable, and hold 20 rounds of armor piercing ammo, but the AR pistol can accept all my mags and everything is compatible with my rifles. And then I seen Colt started making Pythons again for $1499 but are sold out. Now I'm confused

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
S

So Maine does not have a concealed carry requirement. You can open carry. I need to research more. From what I was told at the gun shop, with a conc carry permit you can carry a loaded gun. Without permit it cannot be loaded. Not sure if that.means chambered or loaded magazine.in gun and none loaded.
But to answer your question, yes I do plan to get cc permit anyway. Hand guns are new to me, and I want to learn as much as I can.

Loaded means ammo in magazine.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
If you’re just now buying weapons then you’re already behind the curve. The only thing I’ve had to buy was small pistol primers because I ran out last month loading. Stock up when times are good and prices are low, now is not necessarily the worst time to be buying but it’s not a good one by any means. Prices are up on average of 25-40%, and in some cases higher

Buy cheap and stack deep!

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I’ve been trying to decide between building an SBR and an AR pistol.

Also been getting the itch for a long gun. Been pretty set on a Remington 700 in 308 for a while. But I’d like to hit a grand and need to do some research on caliber.

Recon

Established Member
Modern stuff is going like hot cakes but it doesn’t affect me in the slightest. The guns that interest me aren’t being affected much. Not many carry the right ammo for my guns unless they specialize in those weapons. There’s a gun store somewhat local to me that has quite the selection of ammo for various weapons that I’m surprised to see. Compared to bigger local gun stores his inventory is much better for my guns.
Bought 2 Mosin Nagant Carbine’s one is in really good shape, and the other is in decent shape. I have two guns on layaway and one that will be put on layaway after one is picked up. As far as ammo I’m buying as much as I can. Unfortunately a common issue in my collection is most of the guns shoot their own bullet that isn’t shared. They aren’t cheap either.

Pick your poison.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve been trying to decide between building an SBR and an AR pistol.

Also been getting the itch for a long gun. Been pretty set on a Remington 700 in 308 for a while. But I’d like to hit a grand and need to do some research on caliber.

.308 will do it, but it’s not the caliber I’d choose to do so. I’d go Creed or another long action big boy caliber. Depends on the reasons for that distance also...competition or plinking?

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
Picked up a Mossberg 930 SPX a few weeks ago to round out the arsenal. Got lucky and picked up a load of 00 and #4 buck before riots made all the ammo disappear again. Got a good deal on Speer Gold Dot .40 during Memorial Day sale, was about $8 per 20rd box. Pretty stocked up on all relevant calibers if shit goes really sideways.

Twisted2v

Established Member
Any suggestions for a pistol grip shottie?

Been looking at the Mossberg 590 shockwave.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I haven't had to buy anything more since I live alone and have about a dozen guns. I've just been keeping my Walther CCP at hand. My Beretta .40 lives in my nightstand and my Savage MSR beside my bed. I think Idaho has too many people like me to see any violence. I've not heard of anything nearing riots here.
Last night I went to pick up a girl I've been seeing and another couple from a work party they were at and we drove past some midnight marchers in downtown Boise. I have to admire how brave these people were to march up and down empty streets in the middle of a weeknight boldly expressing their outrage. Lol

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Just bought a used Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. Paid $365 after taxes. Picked it up at a local gun shop.

When you get comfortable with it look into swapping the trigger to an Apex trigger. I have an M&P 9 4.25in barrel. It's modded pretty good now but the first thing I did was swap the trigger to an Apex 3lb. Better feel, crisper break when pulling three trigger. Get an extended mag and then look at buying the Performance Center ported slide and barrel or any aftermarket brand. You can swap the sites too but I have always found the factory ones acceptable for me.

I have really good basic firearms that everyone needs for a collection. CMMG AR that has been tried and tested, IWI Galil in .308 and both that and the CMMG can share a suppressor, and then I have my Benelli M4. I'm just working on stocking up on more ammo right now. If you got your guns already but you don't have a kit then I suggest you get a good setup because they aren't cheap either. I'd recommend TYR which is what I have, Crye Precision, or Eagle which is what the military typically uses. I've probably got about $2k into my body armor setup.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
.308 will do it, but it’s not the caliber I’d choose to do so. I’d go Creed or another long action big boy caliber. Depends on the reasons for that distance also...competition or plinking?

Recreation/plinking only. No competition.

6mm for the speed or 6.5 for the weight?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Any suggestions for a pistol grip shottie?

Been looking at the Mossberg 590 shockwave.
Depends if you want a Blunderbuss style like the shockwave or traditional pistol grip. Tube mag or box mag?

Shockwaves are cool and with the right bolt on pistol grip stock (kicklite) they can be very effective for home defense. Downside is that you have VERY limited mag capacity. You have to be careful though as the wrong stock could convert it into a short barrel shotgun which is an NFA classified item and subject to a tax stamp and ATF review. And waiting.... lots of waiting lol

Kalashnikov USA recently brought out their Comrade shotgun (Saiga 12 style). Box magazine, AK battery of arms. Solid shotgun though for home defense, I prefer to recommend tube fed shotguns.

A box mag is vastly faster to change and reload the shotgun. BUT, if you exhaust all the ammo in loaded mags, you're a sitting duck. With a tube fed shotgun, you can reload as you go. Always topping of the tube and with a shell loaded in the chamber.

I'd recommend a Mossberg 500 or 590 pistol grip with a 7+1 ammo capacity. If you're on a budget and want a reliable 12 gauge, you simply cannot beat a Mossberg Maverick 88 for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread