GUNS: Riot buying edition!

venmos1

Established Member
I'm actually not sure if they have the ported slide in the Shield but I assume they do. It is a slide and barrel with ports cut toward the end of the barrel on the top side so when you fire the gasses escape upwards pushing the barrel downwards to help with muzzle rise.

View attachment 1644781

That's pretty sweet. I'll keep it in mind. Mods won't be for a bit. I will be getting a speed loader though. Those magazine springs can be challenging. Esp for a newb.

_Snake_

Established Member
E4208951-B5A9-434E-8091-BACF50C673F6.jpeg

I pre-planned.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Everyone in the safe is condition 2.
1911 w/ 3 mags in the nightstand condition 1, it’s my current EDC. 12 ga is a Mossy 930 7+1 #4 shot and 4 slugs in the side saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ordered the Glock Sport holster and Glock mag holder for my 21. Ordered some clips as well. Should make a simple and inexpensive carry holster.

Only downside I see is I may need new pants/shorts for a comfortable fit. Cause I'm a happy fatty lmao

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I took a tactical rifle course last weekend and realized how much I sucked, especially in situational shooting. I am all about drilling now. It is pointless to have a weapon if all you do is go to the range and put holes in paper in a controlled environment. The instructor made point that your range time should be like your time at the gym. You are wasting your time if you do not have a mission for each session.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't normally do 00 with my reloader, and I only have 12 rounds, but I ran off 100 rounds of #4. Figure it would still be unpleasant to get hit with that at close range. If I go through 112 rounds, the shit has hit the fan and it would be time to start reaching out and touching people down the block.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I took a tactical rifle course last weekend and realized how much I sucked, especially in situational shooting. I am all about drilling now. It is pointless to have a weapon if all you do is go to the range and put holes in paper in a controlled environment. The instructor made point that your range time should be like your time at the gym. You are wasting your time if you do not have a mission for each session.

I agree completely, cant remember the last time I loaded a completely full magazine at the range. Last few trips I was really focusing on different shooting positions with multiple reloads. Depending on the drill determined how full I ran my mags but usually never more than 6, was really focusing on reload smoothness/speed.

Grab a few packs of different colored post-it note pads (they make them with all sticky backs now), some painters tape and get creative. Cant remember the last time I bought a target at the range.

Dry firing is your friend.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Indoor range shooting is frustrating and damn near a waste of money. About the only thing you can do in an indoor range is get familiar with your pistol and work on few of the fundamentals. Training needs to consist of moving and shooting, shooting under stress, and fire and maneuver. Finding a place to do that publicly is unheard of, so you either have to pay for courses or you have to own the land to do it on, or know someone who owns land and will allow you to.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Indoor range shooting is frustrating and damn near a waste of money. About the only thing you can do in an indoor range is get familiar with your pistol and work on few of the fundamentals. Training needs to consist of moving and shooting, shooting under stress, and fire and maneuver. Finding a place to do that publicly is unheard of, so you either have to pay for courses or you have to own the land to do it on, or know someone who owns land and will allow you to.
That's why I love living in the desert. Now, I just gotta get my hands on 1k rounds and actually go out there.... hahaha

Phoenix residents are super lucky that we have Ben Avery Shooting facility. The nicest outdoor range ive been to by far. The bonus? It's a state owned and operated facility (AZ Game and Fish).

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member

How much was the course?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

M91196

Established Member

Competition shooting accomplishes a lot of what your looking for.

Highly recommend it for the stress and the opportunity.

Practice with goals and record keeping is huge for me.

Also regimented structured dry fire is huge and using reduced targets and a timer will yield improved gun handling skills in short order.

I spend 10X more time with dry fire than live.

Have fun and stay safe

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Competition shooting accomplishes a lot of what your looking for.

Highly recommend it for the stress and the opportunity.

Practice with goals and record keeping is huge for me.

Also regimented structured dry fire is huge and using reduced targets and a timer will yield improved gun handling skills in short order.

I spend 10X more time with dry fire than live.

Have fun and stay safe

Yes and no. Trust me, I get what you mean by what you can accomplish with it and I agree that it does breed marksmanship proficiency and puts you through some stress but it isn't the same type of stress and it isn't exactly real tactics. From my experience, training guys in combat tactics who came over from IPSC competition shooting can be both amusing and frustrating, especially if there are egos. I would recommend getting a good combat tactics foundation under your belt first if courses are available to you, and then once you have an understanding of tactics then get into competition shooting so you know what you can carry over and what you can't, because combat tactics are what you are going to be applying in a real life violent confrontation.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Picked up 300 rounds of ammo today. I hope the guy will be willing to turn loose of some more ammo in the future.

Pick your poison.
I just ordered 400 more rounds of Federal LE HST 124 grain 9mm for my personal defense stockpile. I have a Target Sports facility 10 minutes away, so I'm fortunate to be able to safe on shipping and pick it up myself.

Users who are viewing this thread