Gun expert's let's have a discussion.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Concerning MA firearm laws. If the firearm does not have a safety mechanism you can't purchase it in your state? If so, you options are pretty limited. Smith and Wesson has the M&P 45 auto 4.5 with a safety and also the M&P 45 shield has a safety features as well.
Some manufacturers make guns specifically to comply with Massachusetts laws others just won't bother such as glock.

Now I can buy a Glock in Massachusetts if I'm willing to pay a lot more than MSRP because there are ways around the law but I don't feel they're worth over sticker. At sticker I would definitely own one.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I'm trying to stay on topic, but have to respond to the over penetration issue.

Ammo type including bullet and loading, barrel length, etc have huge impacts to penetration. Ballistics gel doesn't fully represent a human body with bones.

If you are concerned with over penetration such as an apartment complex, then use birdshot or whatever you are "safe" with.

I've attended multiple defensive carbine classes and was active in 3 gun competition. The OP asked what our personal choice was and I stand by it.

I normally resist posting about guns on non-gun forums.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Just watched that video.... The .223 round went into the wood at the end, getting MUCH more resistance than the 9mm round did just going through the drywall. That video is so completely inaccurate it's laughable. If you fire both those rounds through the exact same material, the .223 round will ALWAYS have much more penetrating power. It's not a debate, it's fact and physics.

The average .223 round is shaped and designed to penetrate further with a muzzle velocity of about 3000fps, whereas the less pointed 9mm round has a muzzle velocity of about 1100fps. Case in point - .223 rounds have been tested to go through bullet proof vests, 9mm will not...

Here is a true comparison.

The very first part of your video disproves what you're saying.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
First I will respond to your questions with my personal opinions... then I'll address the AR myth stuff at the end, for anyone who wants my opinion.

Your preferred conceal and carry.

Sadly it doesn't help you much, but my preferred CC is a Glock 17. My next 2 choices are a SIG P226 in .40SW and Walther PPQ 9mm, which I am guessing are also not an option for you since none of them have a manual safety.

If all of those are off the table, then I would be looking hard core at a 1911. My preferred choices in order, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Colt, and Springfield Armory.

If you're not a fan of the 1911, I would also look at the HK USP and the FN FNS9. However, you would have to look for neutered mags.

Your preferred home defense gun.

If you can get an AR15 platform rifle in 300 blackout, that is your best option. I have an AAC 300 blackout upper with a 9" barrel and an AAC 762SDN6 suppressor. That is mated to a SIG 516 lower with a Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun trigger tuned down to 3.5 lbs and topped off with a Vortex Venom red dot. I keep separate mags pre-loaded with subsonic and high power rounds, so I can adjust my weapon's capabilities in a dynamic situation with nothing more than a mag swap.

AR's chambered in .223 or 5.56 would be the next best. I also have a full size M4A3 clone with iron sights as a hot standby elsewhere in the house, in case I can't get access to the 300 Blackout for some reason.

I am in process of building a suppressed MPX short barreled rifle in 9mm. If you can have an SBR in Mass, you can get 10 round mags for those too, and they would work very well. The have AR platform style controls, which are easy to use and if you have AR experience, you can adapt to them instantly.

Your preferred gun for shooting at the range for pure enjoyment.

As far as a range toy, it depends on if you like long range precision shooting or expenditure of copious amounts of ammo.

For medium-long range (800-1,000 yards), I like the Remington 700 in .308 Win, for the affordable side of the spectrum. If you have the resources, I prefer the GA Precision Hospitaller or the FBI HRT... both in .308 Win.

For wasting ammo, you can't beat a full auto AR15 platform weapon. I love doing mag dumps with my 300 Blackout and my SIG 516. I am currently using a MOD Slidefire stock, which will be replaced with a binary trigger in the Spring. If I have the funds, this summer I plan on buying a true M16.

Me with the 300 Blackout...

My son with the M4 clone...

On the "AR For Home Defense Myth" myth...
Not that many people have said it here, but I can't believe how many people say an AR15 is not a good home defense weapon when, since the mid-90's, it has been proven over and over and over to be the BEST choice.

Reasons why I (and many in the industry) believe they are the best choice:
1.) .223 rounds have less over-penetration compared to most common handgun rounds. Even though the .223 has much more muzzle energy than a handgun round, such as a 9mm, because it has one third the mass (or less), much more energy is dispersed when it hits objects and/or it starts to tumble through the air.
2.) Due to increased length, they are easier to stabilize than a handgun, increasing accuracy.
3.) Due to the weapons size and the low recoil, when compared to a handgun and a shotgun, its easier to manage your point of aim while firing, enabling quicker follow-up shots.
4.) Due to its design, and AR platform weapon is able to have a much greater ammo capacity compared to many handguns and shotguns, without being awkward or overly cumbersome.
5.) Due to many features, such as a telescoping stock, easily adjustable/replaceable items such as sights and triggers, and the massively reduced "felt recoil" (compared to shotguns and handguns), with minimal training the weapon can be easily used by almost anyone in your household, from a 8 year old child to a 108 year old grandma.

As someone who has 3 decades of firearms experience and is well trained in defensive handgun and fighting rifle techniques, I can tell you that I don't own a shotgun due to the platforms limited advantages over some other weapons and the only reason I own handguns is for ease of concealment.

In my opinion, if you could only own one gun... it better look like this...

M4A3_Clone.bmp

Blown 89

Established Member
I think the debate has been pretty well settled so I'm going to move on and add this: I carry at home and have a pair of active muffs next to my bedtime rifle. There is also a set of muffs hanging next to the crib as well as next to my wife's bed. If there's time I want the superhero hearing they provide as well as save my family's hearing.

Had someone in our shed recently and both my wife and kid had muffs on while taking to the police. Having the muffs turned up helped me pinpoint his location as I waited on the back porch in case he decided the house was next.

Last edited:

CV355

_
Established Member
Your preferred conceal and carry:
Ruger LCR / SP101.

Your preferred home defense gun
Suppressed FNP45C w/ TLR1HL.

Your preferred gun for shooting at the range for pure enjoyment:
Ruger American Rimfire 22LR. Everyone laughs when I say this, but the thing is just a pleasure for plinking, no guilty feeling for using it that I get when I fire 3 rounds from a $4k firearm and have to clean the whole thing. Accurate, cheap, fun.

I used to live in CT. They ruined a collectors-grade rifle when they tack-welded a flash suppressor in place when one of my rifles was imported. Gun laws are awful up there, so I can certainly relate.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
We can't carry here in Canada. If I were in Mass I would look at the HK P30 series. There are 2 slide lengths and multiple trigger types and an external safety is available.
I have an HK45 which is DA/SA with an external safety but that is quite a big gun.

For home defense I would go with my Springfield Armory Stainless Loaded 1911.
It has Novak Tritium sights, an S&A magwell and a Wilson Combat short trigger for my small hands. It also has a 3.5lb trigger.

For a fun range gun I would pick my 10.5" Gen 2 Noveske CQB with EOTech EXPS 3-2 and Geissele SSA-E trigger.

I would not use AR-15 for home defense in 5.56 unless I'm using frangible ammo.
Here is a picture of 5.56 that was shot at a 3/8" steel pistol target at 50Y.
This was not green tip AP rounds but standard FMJ.
EFA6E6E0-42DE-4F76-8051-959D37DD8AF8_zps3x8nodnw.jpg

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I would not use AR-15 for home defense in 5.56 unless I'm using frangible ammo.

I agree with you there Thump. Even if you have subsonic... frangible ammo in your house is a good idea. Just make sure they are solid jacket. The full copper jacket with a powder copper tin core will stop feed failures and hold up better to handling and long storage.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
Your preferred conceal and carry: m&p shield 9mm

Your preferred home defense gun: remi 870 12 gauge, with 1911 45acp backup

Your preferred gun for shooting at the range for pure enjoyment: Tavor 223 or AR10

08mojo

Established Member
carry: sig p938, glock 42, glock 43 or glock 26....or if I have to, a taurus lcp (it's an absolute POS, I'd probably have to throw it at the attacker)

Home defense: baretta semi-auto shotgun

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I will just add this .. even the real experts are all over the map when it comes to what to use for home defense. I think the best answer I have seen in looking at places like NRA and other ammo and gun mags is this "use which ever platform you are comfortable with." and I would add the only way to really tell is to go to the range with them all and test them out, then shoot the one you like best until you are really proficient at it.

Users who are viewing this thread