GT500 Engine Warranty Issues-ForMoCo

Chris Shaffer

I am an active duty US Navy sailor stationed in San Diego. My wife and myself are down to one vehicle, we turned our 2014 GT500 in to El Cajon Ford because our motor blew up at 26k miles. I am the second owner of the vehicle and bought it with 13k Miles certified preowned from Perry Ford of National City. I was told by the GM Mario Lupanachi that sold the vehicle to me at Perry Ford of National City that the previous owner had modified the vehicle heavily. They said it was fine to be sold and that I had a 100k mike warranty if anything happened. Low and behold the engine blew 12k miles later with no modifications done by me as the current owner. I bought the car as is and has been the same way since I bought it with no change. I was told that Ford Corporate would not cover the engine because the PCM showed that it had been modified and only had one key cycle after blowing up. My vehicle sat at El Cajon Ford for 3.5 months to get fixed and they were the only ones that unplugged the battery terminals which would drain the vehicle of its life and reset everything. The vehicle was started by El Cajon Ford and I was told that the vehicle sounded like the motor was blown. So obviously the car would only have one key cycle on the PCM because they would have done it. Ford Corporate hasn’t reached out to me to tell me that I did this which I have done nothing but drive it. I’m being told I have to pay for tear down of the motor and cover the cost of the 18k motor to be replaced which is unacceptable because there product failed and now I’m the blame for the dealer that sold me the vehicle. I talked to the GM at Perry Ford of National City and he said well what do you want me too do you bought the car it’s your problem, I didn’t know this is how you treat active duty military members and loyal Ford owners for a 2017 GT350, 2017 F150 and broken 2014 GT500. Who is going to help me with this issue, I have all supporting documents of inconsistencies in the CarFax as well. This vehicle only received two oil changes in the 12k Miles I drove it. There is many posts on the internet on forums showing the weakness and structural integrity of the 2013-2014 GT500 motor. My point is here is how am I being held liable for a car that was heavily modified and returned to stock by a Ford dealership and then sold to me with a 100k mile warranty and then told they will not cover because of their own dealer issues? Do I need a lawyer and a news network to take this story higher? Chris S

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Time to lawyer up. Do you have written documentation that supports them stating the previous mods don't impact the warranty? Ford's warranty is clear regarding warranty claims and modified vehicles. The problem is that the dealer that sold you the car lied to you in this regard, but unless you can prove they made that representation, you may not be successful in court.

If you move forward with having them tear the engine down, you or your representative need to be there to document what they find. Point being there are some problems that might not be related to a modified engine. If it ran 12k more miles after the mod, that could be the case.

I blew a head gasket on my car at less than 4,000 miles, but my car was modified. I knew better than to return it to stock and take it to the dealer for warranty work.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with @Catmonkey. Time to get a lawyer and pursue this in court. But the success of pursuing the dealership legally heavily depends on whether or not you can provide proof that they did indeed state before the sale that the warranty would still cover any engine issues despite it having been heavily modified by the previous owner. If it was just a verbal claim, with no witness, you're likely (unfortunately) left in a bad place. Sucks! I hope you end up getting fairly treated.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ya this is gonna between you and the dealer, as mentioned ford is very clear on what they dont cover. When a catastrophic failure occurs and ford sends someone in to look at it the warranty decision is no longer in the dealership's hands.

this is not a GT500 motor issue, I bet statistically there are no more stock engine gt500 catastrophic failures than there are with any other production engine.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
You should contact Perry Ford ask them to contact the dealer it's at so they honor the warranty.

boduke0220

Established Member
If you didn't get it in writing you might be out of luck.

also did you not get the car Datalogged? I see you and your wife racing it all the time on Instagram so surely it was checked.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Not looking good with out talking with a lawyer. The worst part of it all was that the dealer you bought it from said it had been heavily modified. I personally would have walk away from the deal. With most used cars. Dealers dont care and do very little if any inspection. They might do an oil change, smog and then goes back on the lot to sell.

Chris Shaffer

When do I go race? I beat the shit out of my GT350 that is for sure modded and wouldn’t want Ford to replace a thing on that car. My GT500 is stock nothing has been done to it since the car was bought so if driving 70 miles hour causes a catastrophic failure then I don’t need to buy Fords anymore. The car has no internal mods, so please tell what I need to do?

boduke0220

Established Member
In your original post you said the car was Highly modded? and I saw videos of you and your wife doing roll's gt350 vs gt500

not pointing fingers just sayin the racing could have something to do with it. I thought the car was modded so if its stock it should def have a warranty

Chris Shaffer

Stock doing rolls is not going to hurt that motor, at that point the integrity of the engine is to question. The car was heavily modified by the previous owner and he paid Ford to remove the aftermarket parts so it could be sold back to Ford. The state of California is huge on this stupid shit but doesn’t hold people accountable. The CarxFax showed the day after it was purchased that it went to a muffler shop to have headers installed.

raustin0017

Established Member
Afternoon Shipmate. Just like in the Navy or in my case the Air Force...if it is not written down it never happened. If you could get a written statement from the Seller stating what he told you about the car prior to purchase you have something. If not...you got zip and will end up paying out of pocket for the repair. Your only out will be if they find something that failed that would not have been effected by any mods. Example: If the oil pump failed and then the engine failed...you have a case. Good luck.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
They said it was fine to be sold and that I had a 100k mike warranty if anything happened.

100k mile warranty on a 2014 GT500? Sure about that? Did you buy an additional warranty from the dealer? Because factory warranty is 3/36 and 5/60 for powertrain and is specifically voided by modifications.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
100k mile warranty on a 2014 GT500? Sure about that? Did you buy an additional warranty from the dealer? Because factory warranty is 3/36 and 5/60 for powertrain and is specifically voided by modifications.
This right here. Only way to get a 100k warranty would be with Ford extended warranty or aftermarket warranty. But then again modification could void it.

MAZZ MAN

Established Member
I bet the ford dealer that is fixing the car is the one who is not warranting the engine, if it is under base warranty all they would do is a cost cap and ford tells them to fix it or replace it. If it is under extended warranty then they would possibly send a inspector to look at it and make a decision based off that. Any way I would call the bluff on the one key cycle thing . If its stock they need to fix it. Take it to another dealer and get a second opinion. Most service advisors are car guys .

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
First thank you for your service and I am a big supporter of trying to go above and beyond for our service men and women.
That said if you knew the history WTH were you thinking 1) not getting the GMs statement of warranty being good despite known history and 2) not taking it back to the selling dealship if you needed to test that warranty?!
Some problems sadly are best learned the hard way $$$
Good luck
-J

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I bet the ford dealer that is fixing the car is the one who is not warranting the engine, if it is under base warranty all they would do is a cost cap and ford tells them to fix it or replace it. If it is under extended warranty then they would possibly send a inspector to look at it and make a decision based off that. Any way I would call the bluff on the one key cycle thing . If its stock they need to fix it. Take it to another dealer and get a second opinion. Most service advisors are car guys .

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Did you read the whole 1st post?

Users who are viewing this thread