Going to an Agent 47 SLA

racebronco2

Established Member
The first thing i noticed is the steering feels really light, i guess that is because i don't have as much caster (5* compared to about 7*). The steering is really precise, turn in is really good. The car goes where i want it to go. The ride is about the same as before, a little more noise due to the heim joints. Rear tire temps were about 20* hotter then fronts. The front is working so much better that the rear is now sliding around a little. Now i need to soften up the rear or stiffen up the front. I will contact bill (the suspension guru at agent 47) to see what he recommends.

Below is a link to a video of me chasing dowm an evo with race tires, i am running 315 victor racers. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0b33d01b-acdc-4e68-a683-99f8017c9bd1.htm

The car is hooked up. I can be almost anywhere on the track. I cannot accelerate as soon as the evo due to 1. he is about 2 cars ahead of me and
2. with 450tq at about 3500 rpms traction is an issue. I am now catching cars ( the ones that it would take me a while with the old set-up) so fast now that they are just pointing me by. I had a passenger in my car during the video and he later he told me that the ride was his most excitement he had all year. He said that he thought there was no way a mustang could even compete with an evo. Once i caught the evo i was almost like cruise mode but as you can see he was running on edge. The evo guy later told me that he never had a problem staying ahead of mustangs. Our rematch is going to be in 2 weeks at buttonwillow.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
It does look like the front is hooking up real well, especially in the slower-speed turns, especially that long right hander. That's where I would expect mine to be plowing like a mule.
Looks like it's worth every penny. Congrats. :thumbsup:

And I love the areas you guys run in out west, looks like racing on the moon. LOL

BlackStripes

Established Member
Very nice!

I hope you dont mind some questions... i am VERY interested about this setup!

Are you running 315's all around?

Why you are not running more caster?

Is the car as lower as before?

Is it me or your front its not very stiff? What springs do you have? How do you compare your old 400#'s in the front with your new setup? I have NO IDEA how the spring rates work on an SLA, but one of the Agent 47 cars is for sale and he was running 475#'s in the front and 700#s with coilovers in the IRS!!!

racebronco2

Established Member
Very nice!

1. Are you running 315's all around?

2. Why you are not running more caster?

3. Is the car as lower as before?

4. Is it me or your front its not very stiff? What springs do you have? How do you compare your old 400#'s in the front with your new setup? I have NO IDEA how the spring rates work on an SLA, but one of the Agent 47 cars is for sale and he was running 475#'s in the front and 700#s with coilovers in the IRS!!!

Thanks for the compliments.

1.Yes i am running 315's on all 4 corners.

2. With the sla you don't need as much caster to get camber gain cause the camber curve is (what i have been told) is 1 1/4* for every inch of compression. With increased caster you also increase the bumpsteer. If you look at my bumpsteer stack it is only about 1". With less caster the steering has less effort making it a lighter feel.

3. The car is about 1/2" to 3/4" lower.

4. The car still has the 400#s but i only get about 1" to 1 1/2" compression. I still have 400# but since they are a little more inward the wheel rate is less then before.

Go to the link below shows my car exiting a turn and you can see how much space i have between the tire and fender lip. The picture was taken before i lowered the car a little.
http://socalterminators.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13703&page=20
post #298

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Damn...nice video. Interesting...the front-end is really planted with little sway... like it actually has a roll-center now. What's neat is you're going in pretty deep into some of those turns and sticking with Evo on a real tight track. Not the typical Mustang/Terminator approach which is damn impressive. Once you get the rear worked out post another vid with impressions.

racebronco2

Established Member
If you look at video at 5:02 -5:07 i did not use the brakes, the front end worked so well it stuck, i took the turn really tight so that i could make a quick pass but he was supposed to stay on the racing line but he didn't before he gave me the point-by. I did tell him where i was really making up some ground cause he was either braking too soon of entering the turn too slow. The evo was pulling me on exits but i realized today that i was driving the car like i used to and to avoid excessive wheel i would leave it in third and shift into forth on the long straights. Next weekend i will be getting some skidpad numbers along with some new track times.

BlackStripes

Established Member
One more question... :) .. Do you feel like you can put more rim in the front now? Do you think you have more space inside the wheel well? Somehow appears that the coilover in the SLA wont be that much problem for a wide wheel with a lot of backspace.

thanks again,

nightstalker865

Established Member
So everyone will not have to go looking for the pic:

6svcxzb.jpg

racebronco2

Established Member
One more question... :) .. Do you feel like you can put more rim in the front now? Do you think you have more space inside the wheel well? Somehow appears that the coilover in the SLA wont be that much problem for a wide wheel with a lot of backspace.

thanks again,

Yes you can get more backspacing but i think if you run 315's they are going to rub on the swaybar.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
saw your car at buttonwillow on the last NASA event.... nice "brake cooling fans" in place of the foglghts =)

We were checking out the AI/AIX mustangs that had just staged back in their garages when we heard the wine of your sc...so we ran back up to the tower and cought a couple quick video shots as you zoomed by......

th_MOV-0087.jpg

th_MOV-0086.jpg

th_MOV-0084.jpg

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Results of recent testing at the streets 12-8-07

I first checked out my tire temps, front averages 140 degrees and the rears only got up 110 degree and track temp was 57 degrees. As you can see the tires especially the rears were not in their optimal temp range. That being said here are the results:

I was able to duplicate the 1.15 skidpad #s (taken in mid september with a warmer track with the "r" tires) but the rear tires could not hold the grip as well as the fronts and with the car close to the limit the rear tires started to oversteer.

Track times previously was 1:29.7 and the new times were 1:28.3 with the rear fighting for traction due to the low tire temps. Low tire temps were a problem for most of the people i talked to.

I ran in the advanced group today. The couple of cars that were close to my lap times i could out power them on the straights (duh) pull them by a couple of car lengths in the sweepers (car could never do that before) but in the transitions they would pull away at each corner. I contribute that to low tire temps also. So now i need to work on the transitional handling. After 5 run groups there is very little tire wear.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Camber settings and tire temps.

The front camber is less then 2* with 1/16 toe in and 5* caster. The rear is
1.1 * camber with 1/16 toe in. Course was ran ccw. Temps are from inside to outside.
Left front right front
150,142,131 150,133,123

Left rear Right rear
111,114,102 120,123,120

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thanks for the info. What are the plans to get the rear to connect the way the front is, now?

And are you running air or nitrogen?

racebronco2

Established Member
Thanks for the info. What are the plans to get the rear to connect the way the front is, now?

And are you running air or nitrogen?

The less camber you run in the rear the better the front will grip with a stock style suspension . I will run more camber in the rear to try and make it stick better. I can also set the rear swaybar on the softest setting and possibly lower the rear of the car. The front temps and rear temps today was less then it was yesterday. The front penske's are nitrogen filled.

Users who are viewing this thread