Getting ready to do full synthetic fluid change....should I do Royal Purple or Amsoil

Fun4me

Established Member
So thats like a $100 oil change every 10k, thats no too bad. Is it going to be beneficial on a DD w/o a tune . What weight of Amsoil? Filter? Signature oil, right?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I run royal purple HPS. Love it. I don't think you will go wrong with either in all honesty. Amsoil is a GREAT product as well.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Amsoil signature series 5w-20 is $10.15 a quart for Non preferred buyers. Its $7.85 a quart for preferred buyers, I will be changing mine every 15k because I thrash my car all the time. I'm spending 62.80 every 15k miles. If you buy mobile 1 full synthetic its $8.19 a quart that's 65.52 per oil change. Even if you change it every 7000 miles your still paying more then twice as much for a lower quality oil.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
While I don't own a '11-'14, I converted my Cobra to all Amsoil last summer after doing significant research and EVERYTHING runs smoother. Smoother shifts, quieter diff, and the engine runs so much smoother and quieter than a 'big' American V8 has any right to. I am definitely sold on Amsoil. Can't wait to get my UOA back on the next oil change, will be about 7K miles of mixed city and highway driving on their Signature Series 5w-20.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Eh, I watch the oil life indicator and I check the oil frequently. I usually get around 6-7k from my oil, and add at least one quart. I buy Mobil 1 or Castrol or Valvoline synthetics, Motorcraft filters. I would imagine there is "better" protection out there if I want to buy Amsoil, but I really don't think it is required.

scotmach

Established Member
I run Amsoil 10w-30 and an Amsoil filter. I change it once a year regardless of the miles. I recently sold a 2001 Ford Taurus that had over 200,000 miles on it and it ran fine. On that car I used Amsoil and waited 20,000 miles between oil changes.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Like others, I'm going to also agree and say Amsoil and for the main reason..... the other brand actual just roll's over the rockers. It does not lube or do its job correctly. My personal car was a example to this. Swapping out rocker's every couple weeks and hearing ticking sounds (common 3v issue) Swapped to Amsoil 5w20 OE and have never had the issue again.

Swapping roller cam followers every couple of weeks is a common 3valve issue?:dw:

Since when?:dw::shrug:

How about changing cam phasers, I would say that is a far more common issue on 3valves than changing roller followers.

How exactly did you determine the exact cause of the ticking?
Did you actually observe an oil "rolling over the rockers and not doing it's job"???

Got any pics of this? Got any pics of the blue rockers with the burned up roller bearings on them?

So you were running this engine with the cam covers off, and the oil would just not lubricate the rockers only. Everything else it decided to lubricate just fine.

Interesting...:dw: sounds like one of those "the oil is too slick" stories to me.:nonono:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Changing oil wont void warranty. And you should change it every 3k regardless what anyone says. :dw::nonono:

Never did I. All the local cars we used to use Royal and many of them had valve train noise. Swapped to Amsoil and never again

Every 3 thousand no matter what anyone says?:dw:

For a representative of a vendor on here you sure are sharing a whole lot of seriously BOGUS information on here.

Normally vendors are pretty careful about not bashing other companies and posting opinions as if they are facts.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Wow, every 3,000 miles? Guess all the discoveries we have made in the UOA threads are all wrong.

You would be wasting a top tier true synthetic lubricant @ only 3,000 miles of use. Heck, with that low of miles....it's possible to extend the time interval to 18 months instead of the standard 1 year.

On the Amsoil comments, I agree 100%....becoming a preferred customer is the best way to buy it. Everyone gets the product at dealer/wholesale cost.

You also have to consider the filter that you are using. Just because Amsoil says 25k miles, your filter might not be good for that many miles.

You will never hear me suggest the 25,000 "normal service" potential of Amsoil's Signature Series formulations. I always highly recommend staying with the 15,000 or one year recommendation of the "severe service" schedule, even the filter.

Normal service would be the traveling sales person who is always on the interstate 99% of the time between cities, a rarity. Most people fall into the severe service category.

Last edited:

NukeIT

Established Member
unleashed? you recommend amsoil top tier 10w-30 or 5w-30 for a typical 2012GT that sees 25-35K per year in Texas?

Also, on a side note, if you used 5w-30, burnt a quart out, and then could only get 10w-30 would that be a problem?

i am still burning 800mL per 1000miles....damn!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
In Texas Heat

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 with the EaO17 oil filter.

No problem mixing grades like that, even though it's not my norm. The additive packs are the same in all Signature Series lubricants.

At your miles per year, I would change the oil every 6 months. Although, you are burning a good bit of oil every 1,000 miles. I'm hoping a premium lubricant with ultra low NOACK will slow the consumption down.

Last edited:

cobraboss

Established Member
Oil

I am having a problem getting rid valve train noise in my old 69 mustang. I will have to try Amsoil, never thought it could be the brand of oil I was using but it makes sense.

If I was you, I would use either Amsoil 10w30 Z-ROD or the 10w40 which both of high levels of ZDDP.

jonb347

Established Member
I am having a problem getting rid valve train noise in my old 69 mustang. I will have to try Amsoil, never thought it could be the brand of oil I was using but it makes sense.

i have a 69 mustang with a built 408w that had crazy piston and valvetrain noise. upon unleashedbeasts rec i used ams oil premium protection 10w-40 and couldnt be happier. i also use amsoil 10w-30 or 5w-30 in all my personal vehicles.

also, i just worked on a guy who had a 98 cobra and hadnt changed the oil in 9 years because he didnt trust anyone to work on it until he met me. it was amsoil signature 1030 and it was still fine!!!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
also, i just worked on a guy who had a 98 cobra and hadnt changed the oil in 9 years because he didnt trust anyone to work on it until he met me. it was amsoil signature 1030 and it was still fine!!!

mind = blown

Was a UOA performed on this 9 year old fill?

How many miles was it used for?

Users who are viewing this thread