Getting ready to do full synthetic fluid change....should I do Royal Purple or Amsoil

jonb347

Established Member
mind = blown

Was a UOA performed on this 9 year old fill?

How many miles was it used for?

unfortunately no, i changed it at work and was being rushed so it went right into the bulk waste bin. it has about 1800 miles only. he basically stores the car, takes it out and either takes it to the track or beats the crap out of it on the street, then parks it again. i am assuming thats why because he evaporates all the moisture every time he takes it out. but it wasn't low and looked just as clear as the new stuff.

not to mention he runs 12.6 on a stock engine 98 cobra.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I would pick Amsoil over RP. RP is too gimmicky for me.

If you're draining this stuff at 3k reuse it in a beater or give it to someone. I drain at 5k and still reuse it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would pick Amsoil over RP. RP is too gimmicky for me.

If you're draining this stuff at 3k reuse it in a beater or give it to someone. I drain at 5k and still reuse it.

Too gimmicky?:dw::shrug:
The purple dye and the purple in the name?

The oil is real, the quality is real.

The Synerlec additive is a proprietary technology, and though that is closely guarded trade secret, that's real too.

Although we do not enjoy the very large distribution in Canada as we do here in the USA, it is still very much available there at Canadian Tire, JRPonline.com and Karbelt.com.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Too gimmicky?:dw::shrug:
The purple dye and the purple in the name?

The oil is real, the quality is real.

The Synerlec additive is a proprietary technology, and though that is closely guarded trade secret, that's real too.

Although we do not enjoy the very large distribution in Canada as we do here in the USA, it is still very much available there at Canadian Tire, JRPonline.com and Karbelt.com.

Well yes the purple dye is one reason. But the way they use to market it is still fresh in my mind. Sort of similar to how you've used my post as a way to throw up a bunch links where people can buy it. The RP claims got them some negative attention a few years ago. See link. Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple

Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple
By George Gill

Royal Purple Ltd. was black and blue after BP Lubricants USA took it to task over advertising claims for its synthetic motor oil, finding a receptive audience in the advertising industry’s self-regulatory forum.

The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus recommended Porter, Texas-based Royal Purple modify or discontinue numerous advertising claims for its synthetic motor oil, following a challenge by Wayne, N.J.-based BP Lubricants. The NAD examined comparative performance and superiority claims in print, broadcast and Internet advertising. In some of the advertising, Royal Purple compared its performance to Castrol, Shell, Amsoil and other motor oil brands.

NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue its use of consumer testimonials reporting specific performance attributes in the absence of reliable independent evidence showing performance capability.

“Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers is insufficient to support product efficacy claims, including claims related to horsepower, torque, fuel economy or engine heat,” the organization stated. “While the advertiser may quote from published articles if it provides clear and conspicuous attribution to the publisher, it may not rely on such articles to support efficacy claims for which it has no reliable independent validation.”

NAD recommended Royal Purple discontinue claims such as “Increases horsepower and torque by as much as 3 percent,” “Reduces Engine Wear by 80 percent,” “Superior Oxidation Stability” and “Provides Film Strength Up to 400 Percent.”

“If industry-standard tests or tests with carefully documented controls were abandoned, there would be no basis whatsoever for making any meaningful claims about the relative efficacy of motor oils,” BP said in its challenge.

NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue claims that stated, “Improves fuel economy by as much as 5 percent” and “Fuel economy improvement up to 5 percent or more” because its Environmental Protection Agency testing was inconclusive and the “Oklahoma State Study” and single cylinder Labeco CLR diesel engine testing cited in Royal Purple’s advertising was not relevant. The NAD noted the 1997 OSU Study was “outdated and nothing in the record demonstrated that the formulations of the competitors’ oils were similar to those available for sale on the market today.”

BP Lubricants said it hired the independent laboratory Southwest Research Institute, in San Antonio, to analyze power output of gasoline engines with Royal Purple Oil and with BP’s Castrol oil for comparisons. “The results were provided to the challenger’s expert statistician who was not informed of the identity of the candidate oils,” NAD stated. “The challenger’s [BP’s] expert determined a 0.9 percent difference in power between the oils, which did not rise to the level of statistical significance, and is well below the 3 percent claim made by the advertiser.”

SwRI did additional tests to independently determine the differences in fuel economy, emissions data and engine temperature between Royal Purple and Castrol motor oils. According to SwRI, “there was no statistically significant difference between the fuel economy, emissions data or engine temperature between the two candidate oils,” NAD said.

Following its review of the non-anecdotal evidence in the record, NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue the claims, “Reduces emissions up to 20 percent or more” and “Reductions in emissions of 20 percent or more” because the studies on which the claims were based were outdated and not consumer-relevant.

NAD also recommended the advertiser discontinue its unsupported claim that Royal purple motor oil is “API/ILSAC Certified.” Noting that API and ILSAC licenses and certifications have many categories with different meanings, the NAD recommended that the company discontinue its claim that its synthetic oils are “generally ‘API/ILSAC Certified.’”

In fact, no Royal Purple products are certified to current ILSAC specifications.

The American Petroleum Institute licenses its trademarked Service Symbol, or ‘donut,’ for display on qualified engine oils, and also licenses the ILSAC ‘starburst’ logo for oils that meet the auto industry’s latest energy-conserving standards. In API’s online directory of licensees for its Engine Oil Licensing and Certification Program, Royal Purple has a total of 23 passenger car and diesel engine oil products listed, all licensed to use the API donut. Five of these may additionally display the words ‘energy conserving’ within the donut logo, but none of the Royal Purple products are licensable to the current ILSAC GF-4 specification and they cannot display the starburst logo.

Royal Purple also voluntarily agreed to discontinue the claims, “most advanced,” “unsurpassed performance” and “unparalleled performance,” steps the NAD said were necessary and proper to avoid confusion in the marketplace.

“While Royal Purple also believes that the tests and testimonials it supplied as evidence accurately portray the benefits of using its synthetic oil in a wide variety of applications, it defers to the NAD’s position that those tests and testimonials alone are insufficient to support specific performance attribute claims in consumer advertising,” the company said in its response to NAD. “... [Royal Purple] has already made changes to its advertising in accordance with the NAD recommendations and will continue to implement NAD’s recommendations and analysis in developing Royal Purple’s future advertising.”

BP Lubricants did not return phone calls from Lube Report requesting comment on NAD’s decision.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Yeah, well we had to back down on the aggressive advertising since the is no way we could duke it out in court with a mega huge corporation like BP.

Our current oils that qualify for ILASC are in fact the most current GF-5s.
Our API licensed oils are also current SN and SM and CJ-4 licenses.

We have grown wiser in the marketing department, we still make valid claims and we are not taken to court anymore.

Oh and those are not links those are names of companies in Canada where you can get product.

You are free to hold a grudge though if you feel you need to.:beer:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
So I just signed up for a year of preferred member to get a 25% discount and how long does it take to take effect? I thought it would be something immediately. I'm still sitting here with a $275 bill and im ready to see some discounts so i can finalize my order!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I would like to take up for Royal Purple and their old 90's advertizing. Some of the claims were not far fetched at all. It was simply the superior properties of a true synthetic PAO base stock. Big oil companies like "BP" didn't like marketing like this, since they made the bulk of their profits on petroleum dino base stocks.

So I just signed up for a year of preferred member to get a 25% discount and how long does it take to take effect? I thought it would be something immediately. I'm still sitting here with a $275 bill and im ready to see some discounts so i can finalize my order!

If you would go ahead and check out, you would have seen the discount. It's immediate, just as long as you have the preferred customer line item in your cart.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I would like to take up for Royal Purple and their old 90's advertizing. Some of the claims were not far fetched at all. It was simply the superior properties of a true synthetic PAO base stock. Big oil companies like "BP" didn't like marketing like this, since they made the bulk of their profits on petroleum dino base stocks.

If you would go ahead and check out, you would have seen the discount. It's immediate, just as long as you have the preferred customer line item in your cart.

Yea thats what I thought as well but I am sure not a preferred customer yet. Maybe it due to me paying my $20 fee with a stupid gift card I received from X-mas instead of my credit card?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Yea thats what I thought as well but I am sure not a preferred customer yet. Maybe it due to me paying my $20 fee with a stupid gift card I received from X-mas instead of my credit card?

If you have problems, please give Amsoil a call about it. They will get you fixed up.

1-800-956-5695

SVT_Troy

Established Member
If you have problems, please give Amsoil a call about it. They will get you fixed up.

1-800-956-5695

Thanks a lot, I just called and she says that it just went through and everything should be good.

I am curious as to when it actually shows the discounted rate though. I am trying to checkout and I'm all the way to where it shows payment information and it still lists full price. I don't want to hit complete order and it charges me full price. Is this normal?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
and its good to go now! customer service said my account just needed to be validated first! I ordered amsoil everything!

Yea I have to say I'm surprised some of you guys are pretty rigid about needing to change the oil at 3k. I was once like that too but after realizing how much $$$ I was wasting by dumping the oil early...well let's just say I'm actually kind of embarassed I did that for so many years.

The Beast's advice on getting a UOA done on your oil is the best way to go. That way you can get a more scientific opinion on how long you can run your oil of choice, as opposed to just sticking to that 3k marker that's been psychologically seered into most of our minds.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The Beast's advice on getting a UOA done on your oil is the best way to go. That way you can get a more scientific opinion on how long you can run your oil of choice, as opposed to just sticking to that 3k marker that's been psychologically seered into most of our minds.

Isn't a UOA great for helping retrain your mind of everything wrong you learned from dad and grandad.

Hate to say it, but American's are wasteful. We throw away a lot of stuff that is just fine, not fully used.

Isn't a UOA great for helping retrain your mind of everything wrong you learned from dad and grandad.

Hate to say it, but American's are wasteful. We throw away a lot of stuff that is just fine, not fully used.

Completely agree with you. :beer: I think I appreciate the UOA more than ever now. We definitely need to evolve our thinking in how long we run our motor oil. I can tell you that UOAs have given me so much more peace of mind in terms of giving me a better understanding of what is happening inside that motor, as well as to how well an oil is living up to its claims.

Users who are viewing this thread