Getting ready to do full synthetic fluid change....should I do Royal Purple or Amsoil

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
Right now I due for my second oil change and u figure I might as well change all fluids. I'm currently running Amsoil engine oil but hate the fact that I have to order the stuff. RP is AVAILIBLE at most stores. Amsoil is much cheaper though. What do you guys suggest? Anyone one make the switch either way? Anything out there even better or just opinions good or bad welcome. Thanks!!

bmitchell373

Established Member
Amsoil!! Order it in a 4 - gallon jug case. so you have 2 oil changes worth. And 2 filters!! I just did a change last night, but have been on Amsoil for a while.

(no proof, but RP cost me a motor in my old mustang)

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Amsoil all the way! Signature series simply outlasts any other oil on the planet. 15k intervals under harsh conditions 25k miles under normal conditions!

Last edited:

87hatchy

Established Member
Amsoil is considered the best of the best, however going with RP won't hurt. Its not like you're putting Advance Auto brand oil in it...

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Like others, I'm going to also agree and say Amsoil and for the main reason..... the other brand actual just roll's over the rockers. It does not lube or do its job correctly. My personal car was a example to this. Swapping out rocker's every couple weeks and hearing ticking sounds (common 3v issue) Swapped to Amsoil 5w20 OE and have never had the issue again.

Fun4me

Established Member
Whats a good oil, if I dont mind changing it every 3-5k? I dont want to change oil every 15-25k. Wouldn't that void the engine warranty anyway?

sleek98

Established Member
Like others, I'm going to also agree and say Amsoil and for the main reason..... the other brand actual just roll's over the rockers. It does not lube or do its job correctly. My personal car was a example to this. Swapping out rocker's every couple weeks and hearing ticking sounds (common 3v issue) Swapped to Amsoil 5w20 OE and have never had the issue again.

I am having a problem getting rid valve train noise in my old 69 mustang. I will have to try Amsoil, never thought it could be the brand of oil I was using but it makes sense.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Whats a good oil, if I dont mind changing it every 3-5k? I dont want to change oil every 15-25k. Wouldn't that void the engine warranty anyway?

Changing oil wont void warranty. And you should change it every 3k regardless what anyone says.

I am having a problem getting rid valve train noise in my old 69 mustang. I will have to try Amsoil, never thought it could be the brand of oil I was using but it makes sense.

Never did I. All the local cars we used to use Royal and many of them had valve train noise. Swapped to Amsoil and never again

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member

My dealer changes my oil because I have oil changes for the life of the car. I bring them 8 quarts of amsoil and they log it with no problem. They know that amsoil is the best protection I can buy, and guess what my warranty is still in tact!
If you want to change oil say every 5k then get rp or Mobil 1...you'll spend more$$ this way then with amsoil.

Fun4me

Established Member
Changing oil wont void warranty. And you should change it every 3k regardless what anyone says.

Never did I. All the local cars we used to use Royal and many of them had valve train noise. Swapped to Amsoil and never again

Even w/ Amsoil? Every 3k?
I meant 25k oil changes would void Fords engine warrranty.

I'm changing mine w/ the motorcraft blend at the dealer every 5k. Should I go to 3k on a unmodded DD?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Today's modern engines don't need oil changes every 3k its a waste of money! A quality oil that extends your intervals is the way to go. Protection Is about the oil itself not the frequency of oil changes!

Last edited:

sleek98

Established Member
You also have to consider the filter that you are using. Just because Amsoil says 25k miles, your filter might not be good for that many miles.

Fun4me

Established Member
Today's modern engines don't need oil changes every 3k its a waste of money! A quality oil that extends your intervals is the was to go. Protection Is about the oil itself not the frequency of oil changes!
@20 bucks a pop, I'm ok changing it every 3k...

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
I used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Watch for the deals at Advance/AutoZone and you can get 5 quarts with filter for $30. Of course we need two, but still cheaper than most.

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
Well I'm gonna stick with AMSOIL!! I changed the oil in January and only have put 3,000 miles since. I know I can go for 15,000 miles but what about time frame? 1year long enough for oil or does it mainly go off mileage? I will switch all my other fluids to Amsoil.

Thanks for keeping me on the straight Amsoil path.

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
Well, I "heart" Royal Purple for many reasons...

Its all about choice and everyone has one. ;)

corruptor

Established Member
I used to be a RedLine fanboy. Recently changed to Amsoil. Truth be told, haven't noticed any difference - but Amsoil is less expensive, and since I can buy direct from Amsoil, less likely it's been sitting on the shelves somewhere. Any top tier full synthetic oil beats the factory semi-syn stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread