Getting New Fire Truck at Work!!!!!!!!!!

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
TRXboy said:
We just sold our 1991 E-one/Spartan for 75 grand.... :dw:

A kid i know in college bought one for 3k...looked pretty ragged on though...so i dont know :shrug:

02REDL

Established Member
chrisbs said:
Getting out of the airforce soon as a fire fighter. You know if any of your depts. are hiring.
Ive been on the Chicago FD for 20 yrs! Im 40 now, 10 more yrs and Im done! :D The Chicago FD is havin a test next month, if you wanna come up this way to the cold and snow, etc... :)

ParamedicMXr

Established Member
vtechthis03 said:
Those trucks are sweet! i just got excepted into EMT class and cant wait to start! Then i will go through fire then through paramedics. I Down Here in Palm Beach County it is very hard to get hired But well worth it. I am thinking about moving up to the tampa area after and working up there. What is the base pay for Tampa?

Hillsborough County starts at i think 40 or 42 as a paramedic, and tampa starts at 32 regardless of emt or paramedic. Then you take a test and get a promotion and a title of "Paramedic", which is an 8k a year pay inchrease.

Dont bother applying anywhere in florida without your medic cert. Your chances of getting hired are 1/1000000000

firestang19

Established Member
Congrats on getting the new rigs. Pierce is a great company that produces great rigs.

I guess i'll step in and say that I am also an aspiring Firefighter/Paramedic. I have already worked Ventura County Fire, and my dream is to work LA County Fire. The new Pierces are ok, but I really love the look of the new LaFrances and the LA City rigs which I think are the Dash. Here are a few pics to represent the CA Fire Depts:

VCFD30s.jpg

This rig is rather special to me, cuz I had the best tour on this rig and not to mention it was its first day in service at our station 30. Wow...that was a great day.

LACityEngine7.jpg

My girlfriends father is a firefighter for LA City and he drives this rig. Sex on wheels i tell ya..

Raupleminze454

TORQUE INC.
Established Member
We have an Oshkosh crash rig that covers the airport where I am stationed sometimes you can see it on Waukeganfire.com

NOLAstangboy

I'll be fast one day
Established Member
Those are some nice trucks. We're "supposed to be" getting 13 new trucks to replace the ones we lost during Katrina. Right now we have American Lafrance and some old ass Pierce trucks. I like the American Lafrance's but those new Pierce's look nice. Well we'll see what we get if/when we get it. Wish us luck, we need it.

PHFIRENO7783

Mad poster
Established Member
imperialr4c11yt.gif

Worst Cab Design I have ever seen.

Our Twp. (my station) has two (2) Sutphens, first 1990 100ft platform POS, second 1997 Sutphens Rescue. Our Rescue is a great truck, thats about all I'll give Sutphens. Look at there new cab design :nono: . From what I've heard, no one has placed an order for an "imperial" cab, BIG FLOP for Sutphens.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
AZSnake98 said:
Just wanted to say that all you firefighters in here KICK ASS for putting your lives on the line to help people. I admire each and every one of you for what you do. The world needs more people like all of you guys!

*SALUTE*
Yeah, I totally agree! These folks don't get near the praise and "thanks" that they deserve. And those fire trucks! Awesome! Even since I was a kid I've been awed by them. And what continues to amaze me is how clean they always are. Chrome nicely polished. Etc. Question: Do the rookies do the cleaning or is that a rotating responsibility for most/all of the firemen at a station?

PHFIRENO7783

Mad poster
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Question: Do the rookies do the cleaning or is that a rotating responsibility for most/all of the firemen at a station?

After every run we wash our trucks, Other stations dont do that but at our, its been a rule started from past officers. Our Rookies Cook and Clean, clean the bay floors, clean the bathrooms, bunk rooms, etc. They do that till the next rookie comes in. In one case we had a guy stay a rookie for about 17months.

If there isn't a rookie on the shift then, yes cooking and cleaning becomes everyones responsibility. just about everyone in my house cleans up after themselves

Last edited:

firestang19

Established Member
PHFIRENO7783 said:
After every run we wash our trucks, Other stations dont do that but at our, its been a rule started from past officers. Our Rookies Cook and Clean, clean the bay floors, clean the bathrooms, bunk rooms, etc. They do that till the next rookie comes in. In one case we had a guy stay a rookie for about 17months.

If there isn't a rookie on the shift then, yes cooking and cleaning becomes everyones responsibility. just about everyone in my house cleans up after themselves

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. When I was a Cadet working for Ventura County I was doing all the cleaning etc. I cant complain, cuz I definately learned a lot and had great experiences.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
firestang19 said:
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. When I was a Cadet working for Ventura County I was doing all the cleaning etc. I cant complain, cuz I definately learned a lot and had great experiences.

haha what station? i did the same thing in HS. station 54 camarillo

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
ParamedicMXr said:
I myself am not a firefighter yet. In order to be a firefighter in the tampa bay area, you have to become a paramedic within 2 to 3 years. I technically should still be in high school, but i graduated early, and finished my EMT-B in the same week this past december. Im taking an accelerated paramedic class, and we are taking our midterm tomorrow (2 exams and ACLS all in 7 days... sheesh). And im signed up for the fire academy this upcoming january, which is 3 months. I chose to do it this way because through a chiefs eyes, i wouldnt see myself useful if i wasnt a paramedic. Hey, big deal. an 18 year old FF EMT. I am getting the worst of it out of the way, and im hoping to be the youngest paramedic in the state of florida, and on the department for sure. I finish medic school beginning of september, figure id wait a month for the ****ing state to send me my authorization to test letter, and test out and get the results 2 weeks after that. So im looking at being an 18 year and 10 month paramedic, when and if i pass the test the first time. Sorry to toot my own horn, but i am absolutely in love with the job and wouldnt give it up for anything!

d@mn bro, i thought at 21 id be a young medic but wow.

i guess there you dont need many pre-reqs.
here you have to have
HS diploma
EMT-B plus one year working as an EMT-B
Anatomy / Phisology
English / Math classes
and some places require an academy. your academys are only 3 months long?!? here they are anywhere from 6months to a year! what are they feeding you tampa guys? you have to know so much in so lil time! thats crazy

have you worked in the field at all? thats crazy that you can go straight from EMT to Medic without field work. do you atleast do an internship for the medic program? the medic schools here you have one semester M-F 9-5 classroom and then 20 24hour shifts on a medic rig.
good for you but be careful man, there is quite a lot to no and with accelerated programs and no field exp you are taking on a lot of responsiblities.

have fun
JD

Last edited:

firestang19

Established Member
terrible one said:
haha what station? i did the same thing in HS. station 54 camarillo

No way!!! Nice to see a fellow VCFD guy. I worked Station 35 in Newbury Park. Best crew right there man. How did you like your cadet time?? What are you doing now??

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
it was a lot of fun. the guys were awesome and i cruise back every once in awhile to say hi. right now im driving ambulances and going to school (moorpark + ventura), waiting for medic school to begin. how bout you?

Last edited:

ParamedicMXr

Established Member
terrible one said:
d@mn bro, i thought at 21 id be a young medic but wow.

i guess there you dont need many pre-reqs.
here you have to have
HS diploma
EMT-B plus one year working as an EMT-B
Anatomy / Phisology
English / Math classes
and some places require an academy. your academys are only 3 months long?!? here they are anywhere from 6months to a year! what are they feeding you tampa guys? you have to know so much in so lil time! thats crazy

have you worked in the field at all? thats crazy that you can go straight from EMT to Medic without field work. do you atleast do an internship for the medic program? the medic schools here you have one semester M-F 9-5 classroom and then 20 24hour shifts on a medic rig.
good for you but be careful man, there is quite a lot to no and with accelerated programs and no field exp you are taking on a lot of responsiblities.

have fun
JD

There are no pre reqs, just EMT-B for paramedic. I work on the street on a BLS ambulance, and ive been riding with ALS for the past year and a half. So i have a TON of experience. We also have 200 hospital clinical hours and 400 hours of ride alongs to do.

I go to medic school 3 days a week, so thats 9 months, and the full time fire academy is about 3 months, 5 days a week, 9-5.

I have seen so much shit its not even funny. I still havent intubated anybody though... im still waiting on that one. Oh yea, i tried to get a physician to let me decompress some guys chest with a pneumo. he looked at me like i had 10 heads :)

Users who are viewing this thread