Getting New Fire Truck at Work!!!!!!!!!!

firestang19

Established Member
terrible one said:
it was a lot of fun. the guys were awesome and i cruise back every once in awhile to say hi. right now im driving ambulances and going to school (moorpark + ventura), waiting for medic school to begin. how bout you?

Are you rollin with AMR or Gold Coast out of ventura? Right now im finishing up at San Francisco State, then I am going down south to go to Palomar and do all my Firefighter training. Once in San Diego, I plan on riding with either AMR, Westmed, or Pacific Ambulance as an EMT. Good luck with medic school. Where are you going to go?? best of luck to you, and hopefully I will see you on the big one!!!

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
Dang, seeing all these nice trucks is driving me nuts, and thinking about going back to NC to play firefighter again. My old department just got a new ladder a few months ago to replace a POS ladder we were using when I was there. I'm in Seattle now working as an EMT with AMR, and we are hiring EMT's if anyone is looking. I've been one for almost 8 years now.

firestang19

Established Member
99GTtony said:
Dang, seeing all these nice trucks is driving me nuts, and thinking about going back to NC to play firefighter again. My old department just got a new ladder a few months ago to replace a POS ladder we were using when I was there. I'm in Seattle now working as an EMT with AMR, and we are hiring EMT's if anyone is looking. I've been one for almost 8 years now.

Does AMR have the 911 where you are working....or do you have the transports?? If you have the 911 do you 911 BLS and ALS with one EMT and one Medic on the ALS rig??

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
firestang19 said:
Are you rollin with AMR or Gold Coast out of ventura? Right now im finishing up at San Francisco State, then I am going down south to go to Palomar and do all my Firefighter training. Once in San Diego, I plan on riding with either AMR, Westmed, or Pacific Ambulance as an EMT. Good luck with medic school. Where are you going to go?? best of luck to you, and hopefully I will see you on the big one!!!

i work for schaefer in LA county its too hard to get into VC w/o medic cert and they wont let you do 911s just IFTs
im waiting on Ventura for medic school, i finish anatomy in the next 2 weeks and then im turning in my application. (fingers crossed)
good luck to you as well, socal is ridicolous for fire. i think im gonna try and go to New Mexico or Texas for fire.
late

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
ParamedicMXr said:
There are no pre reqs, just EMT-B for paramedic. I work on the street on a BLS ambulance, and ive been riding with ALS for the past year and a half. So i have a TON of experience. We also have 200 hospital clinical hours and 400 hours of ride alongs to do.

I go to medic school 3 days a week, so thats 9 months, and the full time fire academy is about 3 months, 5 days a week, 9-5.

I have seen so much shit its not even funny. I still havent intubated anybody though... im still waiting on that one. Oh yea, i tried to get a physician to let me decompress some guys chest with a pneumo. he looked at me like i had 10 heads :)

but my question was worked in the field? you said you just finished your EMT-B in dec, that was like 4 months ago? im not tryin to bust your balls bro, its just crazy how many hoops we have to jump through in CA. im sure its different were you are. do you guys atleast have to pass Nat. Reg. for EMT-B? and they let EMT-Bs intubate where you are? gawd d@mn! thats insane! here the B is basic we have such a limited scope of practice, anything Advanced i.e. intubation, monitors, drugs, even pulse ox are ALS.
anyway thumbs up for jumping on medic program be glad you arent in Socal

Raupleminze454

TORQUE INC.
Established Member
PHFIRENO7783 said:
After every run we wash our trucks, Other stations dont do that but at our, its been a rule started from past officers. Our Rookies Cook and Clean, clean the bay floors, clean the bathrooms, bunk rooms, etc. They do that till the next rookie comes in. In one case we had a guy stay a rookie for about 17months.

If there isn't a rookie on the shift then, yes cooking and cleaning becomes everyones responsibility. just about everyone in my house cleans up after themselves

You guys wash after every run..damn we wash ours in the morning before we get relieved. How many calls a day do you guys run, cuz if we went by your rules we would be washing like 16 times a day.

ParamedicMXr

Established Member
terrible one said:
but my question was worked in the field? you said you just finished your EMT-B in dec, that was like 4 months ago? im not tryin to bust your balls bro, its just crazy how many hoops we have to jump through in CA. im sure its different were you are. do you guys atleast have to pass Nat. Reg. for EMT-B? and they let EMT-Bs intubate where you are? gawd d@mn! thats insane! here the B is basic we have such a limited scope of practice, anything Advanced i.e. intubation, monitors, drugs, even pulse ox are ALS.
anyway thumbs up for jumping on medic program be glad you arent in Socal

I took the NREMT and passed it. Down here the only thing we can do is pretty much take vitals and give oral glucose if needed. Oh yea, a combitube is the most advanced thing we would encouter.

The fire department has an "Explorer" program which allows us to ride on the ALS rescues. I have been doing that since last december, so i had one year experience on how things worked before i started my EMT class. I already was familiar with pulse ox, capnography, drug dosages and classes and what not. EMT came super easy and medic is also coming along wonderfully. Just took my midterm tonight. Im sure i did great but who knows. As long as i got an 80!

Thats fine man, if you have any other questions let me know. Im not offended i promise.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
cool, ya we have the 'explorer' thing here as well or 'cadet' but VCFD doesnt have many medics, so ridding along on 9-1-1s that were EMS related didnt give us the whole experience as most FFs were not medics.
thats cool EMT and Medic is coming along so easy, i know come Sep (if i get in) i will be up all hours of the night studying those drugs!
good luck with the rest of your class

PHFIRENO7783

Mad poster
Established Member
Raupleminze454 said:
You guys wash after every run..damn we wash ours in the morning before we get relieved. How many calls a day do you guys run, cuz if we went by your rules we would be washing like 16 times a day.
If it's a sunny day we just run a dry rag over everything, if it raining or snowing, yes we hose them down and dry them off. because of that, our truck look as new as the day they were placed in service. No one complains about it, but yes sometimes it can get old cleaning a truck 5-10 times a shift. The other 7 station in the Twp do not have such high standards as my house does :coolman: . My house alone ran about 2400 fire call for 2005 (off the top of my head). My house does not run ALS/BLS at this time, but we will be soon. So when that happens, our call volume will double or even triple.

Last edited:

PHFIRENO7783

Mad poster
Established Member
Hey Guys, this questions goes out to everyone. Whats the most runs/calls you've racked up in a shift (6,8,12,24) (Don't Count EMS)?

For Me, In Sept. 2004 my house was call 42 times in a 8 hours shift. Calls rangeing from Fire Alarms, Elevator Entrapments, exploding transformers, Swift water rescue, MVA's with Entrapment.

ParamedicMXr

Established Member
Most houses in the region down here would be lucking to get 1 working fire per week.

Most calls ive been on was 13 including 1 suicide in the morning, 1 cardiac arrest in the afternoon, and 1 3-month old cardiac arrest at night. Then after midnight another time there was 8 calls after midnight, including one fatal fire. I videotaped most of the fire since it was the first one id been to. I just watched from a distance of course.

PHFIRENO7783

Mad poster
Established Member
ParamedicMXr said:
Most houses in the region down here would be lucking to get 1 working fire per week.

Check this out, In August of 2004, my house responded to 23 confirmed structure fires for that month :rockon: .

We have two sayings for our house.
1. Houses Burn Down, And Sometimes Station 7 Gets There First.
2. We Finish What Other's Can't

^Yes We Think Very Highly Of Ourselves.

TRXboy

Established Member
PHFIRENO7783 said:
Check this out, In August of 2004, my house responded to 23 confirmed structure fires for that month :rockon: .

We have two sayings for our house.
1. Houses Burn Down, And Sometimes Station 7 Gets There First.
2. We Finish What Other's Can't

^Yes We Think Very Highly Of Ourselves.

Haha who do you think you are Kentland?! :D :D :D

PHFIRENO7783

Mad poster
Established Member
TRXboy said:
Haha who do you think you are Kentland?! :D :D :D

Not as bad as those guys, I would never try to hurt another fire fighter or let one of mine try to hurt someone, unlike those guys, they just dont give a 'F". You read that article about them in.....I cant remember the Mag but it was this month? I've heard about that company about a year or two ago. I dont understand why they dont go paid, for their call volume it would benifit them?

Last edited:

TRXboy

Established Member
PHFIRENO7783 said:
Not as bad as those guys, I would never try to hurt another fire fighter or let one of mine try to hurt someone, unlike those guys, they just dont give a 'F". You read that article about them in.....I cant remember the Mag but it was this month? I've heard about that company about a year or two ago. I dont understand why they dont go paid, for their call volume it would benifit them?

I don't know, there all F'ed up down there at how there district's work. They don't have a problem with the Voly service so theres no need to go paid. I do agree though, I'm all for company Pride, but Ive heard storied of those guys parking a rig on another engine's house line so they can pull the line in. Thats just stupid.

03 Zinc Rocket

Established Member
PHFIRENO7783 said:

TRXboy said:
I don't know, there all F'ed up down there at how there district's work. They don't have a problem with the Voly service so theres no need to go paid. I do agree though, I'm all for company Pride, but Ive heard storied of those guys parking a rig on another engine's house line so they can pull the line in. Thats just stupid.

Don't always believe what your hear. I work with alot of the Kentland guys in DC. The Kentland guys are pretty squared away, have alot of pride, and do the job right.

The Prince George's County Fire service is part career and part volunteer. The Local 1619 is against volunteering and that is why there is always animosity between the Vollies and the Career guys. The reason they don't go paid is simply because they don't have to. They have two or three crews around most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread