Gas smell in the Oil

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
Today I was just checking the oil in the car and when I pulled the dipstick out, it had a gas smell on it. I am not sure if this is an ok thing. Can you let me know?? I tried looking on the internet, but all I saw was bad news and some it did not make since. Can you let me know if this is normal or not really need to know??? Please tell me what I need to do.

BMR Tech

Depends on how much fuel is in the oil.

I recommend sending away a sample and have it analyzed.

My oil smells like raw fuel. 115k miles and 700hp....it happens. Lol

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
I am changing the oil next week. Since my Cobra has a tune chip, it runs rich, so is that the reason it gets the gas smell in the oil. I check my dad's car, that also is getting its oil change soon and it smell a little like gas, but not as much as mine. Does this lead to engine failure or not? I plan on keeping this car, so I want fix broken stuff and leave the parts that are working alone.

cobracide

Established Member
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor blown (FRPS)? Check it. Change the oil. Make sure the cylinders are dry, pull the plugs before restarting.

Last edited:

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
Where is the that sensor located. Can you post a picture of where is it?

Drivers side fuel rail, closest to the front of the engine, has 2 bolts holding it down, an electrical connection and a vacuum line.

Pull the vacuum line off and see if it's full of fuel. It should not be.

Is your oil level too full, along with fuel smell?

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Since my Cobra has a tune chip, it runs rich, so is that the reason it gets the gas smell in the oil. I check my dad's car, that also is getting its oil change soon and it smell a little like gas, but not as much as mine. Does this lead to engine failure or not?

Get your tune corrected if the current tune is causing a rich condition. Yes, continuously running rich will cause problems. From the sound of things, it's running rich enough to wash down the cylinder walls if you're getting a strong gas odor in the oil.

As recommended above, get an oil analysis done, and correct the tune file.

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
Drivers side fuel rail, closest to the front of the engine, has 2 bolts holding it down, an electrical connection and a vacuum line.

Pull the vacuum line off and see if it's full of fuel. It should not be.

Is your oil level too full, along with fuel smell?

Would there be a problem if the oil level is too full, in terms of the fuel smell problem in the oil.

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
Well I am putting everything of what is said, so you are saying to:
1. First, check the sensor, if filled with full fuel, replace it
2. Change the oil
3. .....Well i am not sure what is on the tune chip, because I bought the car not knowing about the chip that was in there. So is there still a way to fix the gas in the oil problem. Where can i fix the tune on the chip, since i don't have a cable for the tune and I am not sure what the car will do without it. I really don't want to buy a another tuner to fix the problem. Is there a way to get the chip tune fix? I don't even know who tuned it and what they put on the tune.

Last edited:

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
Well I am putting everything of what is said, so you are saying to:
1. First, check the sensor, if filled with full fuel, replace it
2. Change the oil
3. .....Well i am not sure what is on the tune chip, because I bought the car not knowing about the chip that was in there. So is there still a way to fix the gas in the oil problem. Where can i fix the tune on the chip, since i don't have a cable for the tune and I am not sure what the car will do without it. I really don't want to buy a another tuner to fix the problem. Is there a way to get the chip tune fix? I don't even know who tuned it and what they put on the tune.

Find a tuner that can support the chip you have and get it on the dyno to get a proper tune.! If you're washing the cylinders that bad, you're going to have long term problems.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
FIRST: How many miles are on the oil?

Fuel dilution is one of the reasons why engine oil gets changed, so to some extent it is fairly normal given enough mileage and use.

Excessive fuel dilution should be corrected.
The oil should be changed and the cause of the excessive fuel dilution whether it be a bad FRPS or an over rich tune, it needs to get fixed.

Dirty injectors can cause this issue as well.
Short hop drives and no or little sustained highway drives will produce higher levels of fuel dilution(stinky oil) and more condensation(milky oil fill cap).

A blown FRPS typically produces fairly severe drive ability issues.
A blown FRPS also typically produces a ridiculously huge amount of fuel dilution in a very short period of time.
A bad FRPS can also fail electronically and not load any gas in the vacuum lines at all. However if the drive ability issues are bad enough, you will still load the oil with fuel, just not as fast as when the diaphragm breaks.

Not a fan of chips.... AT ALL.
Get a flash tuner, remove the chip, retune.

Enjoy life and it's new found tuning flexibilities and data acquisition possibilities.

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member

Fuel dilution is one of the reasons why engine oil gets changed, so to some extent it is fairly normal given enough mileage and use.

The oil should be changed and the cause of the excessive fuel dilution whether it be a bad FRPS or an over rich tune, it needs to get fixed.

Short hop drives and no or little sustained highway drives will produce higher levels of fuel dilution(stinky oil) and more condensation(milky oil fill cap).

A blown FRPS also typically produces a ridiculously huge amount of fuel dilution in a very short period of time.
A bad FRPS can also fail electronically and not load any gas in the vacuum lines at all. However if the drive ability issues are bad enough, you will still load the oil with fuel, just not as fast as when the diaphragm breaks.

Enjoy life and it's new found tuning flexibilities and data acquisition possibilities.
All right thanks for all this, this is great info. I do like the idea of getting rid of the chip and go for the flash tuner. The last oil change was around 2300 miles ago, or 3.5 months ago.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Is there a friend or relative that is a knowledgeable car guy that could maybe check out the oil for you? I can tell the condition of oil by smelling it and rubbing some between my fingers. Most guys that have messed with engines a decent amount have a feel for this. If you have a lot of gas in there you really don't want to drive it at all, not even to a shop, you need to get that oil drained asap. Best we do can over the internet would be if you pull one of the plugs and post some good clear pictures.

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member

So are you saying that a flash tuner will make the car not run as rich, will this also prevent the gas from getting into the oil. Also I drive about 10 miles round trip per week day, does this lead to any problems?

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
So are you saying that a flash tuner will make the car not run as rich, will this also prevent the gas from getting into the oil. Also I drive about 10 miles round trip per week day, does this lead to any problems?

Go to a tuner that sells a flash tuner and let them tune your car.

The flash tuner and tune is going to be much cheaper than what you're going to have replace/repair if you keep driving as it is.

Take the above advice, change the oil before you drive it again and get it to a tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread