Fuel Filter Change Writeup (13 pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
Nice write-up. How was that fuel line tool? I bought the cheap plastic one and removing the spring lock was such a ****ing PITA.

i bought those plastic ones when taking my a/c lines apart, returned them and bought the set like the OP has. made all the difference.

will be doing FF tomorrow

lons13

Established Member
Just did mine. The drivers side line was a pita. But it was my fault for thinking i had unlocked both sides with the tool and took the damn clamp off.....note to self-follow damn direcrions. Haha. Great write up!!!

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Just did mine. The drivers side line was a pita. But it was my fault for thinking i had unlocked both sides with the tool and took the damn clamp off.....note to self-follow damn direcrions. Haha. Great write up!!!

Hehe yeah had that experience today.

03 VENOM

Established Member
Ensure the FLOW arrow on the filter is pointing to the drivers side of the car.

Why is that?

I thought the fuel line ran up the passenger side of the car?

gregorio

Established Member
Man I had such a hard time doing mine. Took me forever and a day with large hands

boost4me

Banned
Steller writeup and pictures... Although a fuel filter in most cases should be a minor maintenance task. Without the right tools you can really pull your hair out. I've done several with solid rear axles and you have tons of room to work, but this is a different animal with a IRS.

The hardest part about this is that you can only use one hand for the most part. I did figure out that I could reach my other hand around the other side of the differential but my hands are probably a little smaller than average and even then I still couldn't get my other hand in a great position to help.

The key is definitely using that 5/16 fuel line tool.

Last edited:

03 VENOM

Established Member
Just want to make sure: Does the fuel filter flow arrow point towards the driver side??

Thanks....

ironcoffins

Nice, thank you for the write up, I have been looking around to change mine. New 2004 cobra owner. 25,000 miles on my red fire cobra. Kenne bell 2.2 blowzilla supercharger with BAP, pulley set, 12" CAI. last dyno it had 508 rwhp. changed exhaust after I bought it to SLP loudmouth catback. Having an issue of it choking at high end throttle . I need to pay closer attention to the A/F ratio at full throttle, all I know is i'm getting a red light. wondering if fuel filter is partially clogged. so your video is a great help. thanks again.

nrmustang

Established Member
Just curious to see if any of you guys maybe had a bit of hesitation/Rough idle, and saw an improvement after swapping out the filter?

I just bought my 3rd '03 w/60k and am experiencing this a little.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I didn't have any of that, but my car did seem to run better. Changed it out at 15K and the crap that came out of it was nasty, I'll be changing sooner than 15K next time.

msvt

Shopping for another Cobr
Established Member
Well Done!

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, very helpful.

Modenausa

Established Member
Is it a must to use that tool? Or can u pull the line off ny hand ...I've done many fuel filters on other cars and trucks before..never had to use a special tool.

Modenausa

Established Member
Answered my own question... Yes anyone reading this u must have the removal tool for it to work. Helpful hint when using the tool.. Loosen up the line first..twist a little and move it back and forth. Then push the line in towards the filter as much as u can before inserting the tool. Once inserted twist the tool in and pull the line off. Took 20 minutes on one side to figure that out.. 2 seconds on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread