Fuel Filter Change Writeup (13 pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Printed this tread out today to take under the car with me like I've done on alot of other mods I've done myself. Thanks again.

Jpjr

Established Member
tankerman1981 said:
great writeup.. was realy wondering where the damn fuel filter was and all... will be changing mine out this week...

write-up is indeed great.. best i've seen on the subject. however, one thing most write-ups seem to discount is the PITA these jobs can be even with the best instructions. for instance, until you get used to it its difficult getting your hand up in there to wrestle out the filter. it's so difficult that many people, if not most, relocate their fuel filter when upgrading their fuel system.

is the job complicated? absolutely not

will a newbie have the filter out in 5 mins like most cars? absolutely not.

just my opinion...

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I would add one item to that excellent write up. Lube the nipples of the new filter with either Vasoline or grease. That way you won't damage the seals in the fitting and it will go together nice and smooth.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Cool... now if I can just find a detailed write up on replacing the inner serpentine belt on my 03, I'll be good to go.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
lower pulley (and its cage) need to come off to do the inner belt. good luck with that.

Isn't that the most stupid design you have ever seen in your life????? Turned a simple job into an all day affair.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
good idea to check the filter after you get it out (the old one)
bang it a few times over a white sheet of some sort and let the remaining
fuel run out.

friends of mine had black gunk come out, mine was almost perfectly clean so Im sticking with the same gas station I have been going too.

if its black or dirty or chunks of stuff comes out you might want to reconsider where you get your gas :)

soccer8888

Tech. Noob
Established Member
Did it this weekend, took about 20 minutes. Longest part was waiting for the gas to dribble out of the filter. And yes, the filter can be a little PITA to get to, but not too bad, everything comes apart pretty easily. Would be very helpful to have a flathead that was only a couple inches long IMO, I ran out and bought one to loosen the clamp around the filter.

1bad03snake

powered by cold beer
Established Member
great write up I have been talking about doing mine for day's, but not knowing what to expect kinda made me lazy. I'll be changing mine in the AM

Matt

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead....I just had searched for a diy with pictures, and this is the one I found. To the OP, Great pictures! I just got done with zero issues. I pulled the rear up on ramps yesterday afternoon and let her sit for 24 hours. I have a fp gauge plumbed on the f rail, so I did not want to mess with bleeding the system. Very, very little gas came out. The majority of the gas that did release was inside the original filter, no big deal at all. I'd say 1/2 to 2/3 cup released in total from all plumbing and filter.

And the 3 step for "priming" the fuel system was spot on. On first key click, I got 9 psi on the pillar gauge. Second click 20psi. Third click 35psi then i fired it. It fired right up, no leaks! And one more thing...on the "blow" test with the old filter versus new....the new one was easy to blow. The old one must have been severely clogged. After seeing this, I'm changing the fuel filter every 10K miles for sure. :rockon:

Last edited:

562cobra

Hlistr_07RR ftl
Established Member
I will probably try it out this weekend. Good searching skills. I've had my motorcraft filter sitting in my garage for a couple months now. I need to get on it.

silvrsrt

Established Member
Did this yesturday! write up was very useful :banana: Took about 45 min. It was actually easier than my buddys lightning IMO

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
I just finished changing mine. I have a solid rear... and it's UNBELIEVABLE how much room I have to get up in there. Both hands no problem. I didn't even need the fuel line grasping tool... I just got one hand on the filter and one on the fuel line and wiggled... pulled... wiggled... pulled... was pretty tough to get, but it came off.

Took a NOOB like me only 40 minutes from battery disconnect to reconnect. Thanks for the write up!

i8urSS

Established Member
just changed my filter. great write up. its always nice knowing what to expect. and you were right about that tool. made it so much easier.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
as soon as u take out the old one, plug the ends off and put a good size dent on the side of the filter, and un plug one of the ends & tilt it over and look at all the trash that will come out. one other way to tell if it was dirty if to see how heavy it is to the new one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread