Fuel Filter Change Writeup (13 pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

airmanb2b

Established Member
New here guys but I thought this would be useful. Took me an hour first try.

Time: 1 hour with a break after removal

Supplies and Tools:

5/16 Fuel Line Removal Tool (One in the pic is by far the best)
Flathead Screwdriver
Fuel Filter of your choice I prefer WIX but Fram works good too.
Fram PN 33595
101_7116.jpg

1. Disconnect Negative battery terminal

2. Find the fitting on the passenger side fuel rail.
101_7117.jpg

3. Remove the black cap and depress pin with a phillips screw drive. You may want to cover with a rag. Depending on how long the car has been sitting will effect the amount of pressure in the fuel rail.
101_7118.jpg

3. Jack up the rear of the car and place on jackstands.
101_7119.jpg

4. Slide underneath the car and find the filter. Best way to describe is between the gas tank and IRS.
101_7120.jpg

5. You will see 2 metal clips. One on each saide of the filter. Pull those off.
101_7121.jpg

6. Clip your 5/16 tool of the lines on the fuel filter. Once it is on hard fuel filter line, pull it into the main fuel line until you hear a click.
101_7122.jpg

7. Pull the tool into the main fuel line. You may need to push the filter with your knuckle for leverage. May need to work the tool up and down. Be patient, the line will come off.
101_7123.jpg

8. Do the same on the other side.

9. Once both lines are off, unscrew the clamp and slide it off the filter on the dirvers side.
101_7125.jpg

101_7126.jpg

10. Once the clamp is off, pull the filter up to remove from bracket.

11. Place the new filter in the bracket. Ensure the FLOW arrow on the filter is pointing to the drivers side of the car.
101_7127.jpg

12. Slide the metal clamp on the filter and bracket and tighten down.

13. Install fuel line onto the filter until you hear a click. lines will be seated on the filter then.

14. Install metal clips back onto line and filter.
101_7128.jpg

15. Remove car from stands.

16. Before actually starting the car. Turn the Key to run and off a couple of times, listening for the pump to charge the line. The first time, the pump is gonna sound a little louder than normal. Mine sounded normal by the third time.

17. Start car and let run. If you have a leak, you will know immediately.

18. Do a blow test on the filter and see how much crap was in the filter. Mine was pretty dirty.

One thing I noticed about the new filter is that it is a little bigger than the stock Motorcraft. It did not fit in the bracket just perfect.

Last edited:

BlackSabbath

Established Member
Excellent write up. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Pictures are always a great help. This should be moved to the reference forum.

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
he s proly military station in AK congrats man good write up I bet you are looking fwd to warm weather

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
nice write up...i paid the dearlership $35 to change mine and i stuck w/ the motorcraft filter. very nice write up though.

everyman

smoke 'em
That was a nice writeup :thumbsup:

I see way too many people that appear to be more interested in increasing power than performing regular maintenance

N S

Wants to go faster
Established Member
Nice write-up. How was that fuel line tool? I bought the cheap plastic one and removing the spring lock was such a ****ing PITA.

airmanb2b

Established Member
N S said:
Nice write-up. How was that fuel line tool? I bought the cheap plastic one and removing the spring lock was such a ****ing PITA.

Tool was excellent. I had experience with them before so it was a snap. Same price as a whole set of the cheapo plastic rings. Small and easy to use. Was 5.99 at Oreilly's.

N S said:
he s proly military station in AK congrats man good write up I bet you are looking fwd to warm weather

Car is licensed in Alaska. No sales tax up there. Wife and I are both military. In Missouri right now. Going back in June hopefully for good.

I used "search" alot before I did this. Decided to do my own writeup because I didn't get all the answers I wanted. This is a VERY easy task. Was for me anyway, although I do work on jets every day.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Nice write up man :beer:

everyman said:
That was a nice writeup :thumbsup:

I see way too many people that appear to be more interested in increasing power than performing regular maintenance

I change my oil every 2500 miles w/ Mobil 1. Clean air filter every oil change. Check superchager oil every oil change. Replace fuel filter every other oil change. And have changed the tranny fluid once.

Car has 19K miles on it. Purchased new in May of 04'.

airmanb2b

Established Member
You can expect more of these from me. I should have done it when I did the Pulley, Heat Exchanger, TB and Plenum. Oh well. I am going to be pulling the front springs and getting my rotors turned next week. Will be doing another writeup on that.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Very nice job Airman! Agree with above: Should be in Terminator "How To" Forum.

I didn't deal with the fuel rail pressure release and got some very minor spillage when I took off the filter. Does steps 2 & 3 eliminate leakage from the filter when removing?

airmanb2b

Established Member

BlackSabbath

Established Member
airmanb2b said:
Car is licensed in Alaska. No sales tax up there. Wife and I are both military. In Missouri right now. Going back in June hopefully for good.

I didn't know about the no sales tax law in Alaska. I sure wish they would do away with it in NY.

I can't imagine seeing too many Terminators in Alaska.

airmanb2b

Established Member
BlackSabbath said:
I didn't know about the no sales tax law in Alaska. I sure wish they would do away with it in NY.

I can't imagine seeing too many Terminators in Alaska.

Ya, they have no state tax period. Couple of guys I am friends with have them up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread