FRPP ProCal installed: Impressions

5.0jake

Established Member
when you receive the package... 1st there is nothing stating that it needs to be done at the dealer or done by a qualified tech this is why i decided to install it myself,

When I called Ford Racing, doing it by the book you need to provide proof that it was dealer installed to their Ford Racing warranty dept. I went back and fourth with them several times via email to get this done. This is separate than registering your VIN with them to get the Procal.

5.0jake

Established Member
drove some more tonight and didn't hear anything... no pinging at this time, lets see how it goes.

My father and I both have this tune. His pinged like a mother but after getting his roush ab installed and first oil change he could no longer hear it.
We could normally hear it from 2nd-4th gear under load with the windows up, octane adjust set on N and notably worse when warm out.
Ford Racing says it's harmless and they've never had a reported issue with the Procal. We're assuming the axleback is drowning out the ping but the Roush isn't that loud with the windows up.:shrug:

snakebite72

Established Member
When I called Ford Racing, doing it by the book you need to provide proof that it was dealer installed to their Ford Racing warranty dept. I went back and fourth with them several times via email to get this done. This is separate than registering your VIN with them to get the Procal.

i totally understand... but you missed my point, as stated before... i received my pro-cal complete with instructions, i have read the instructions and there is nothing saying that it needs to be done at or by ford also the warranty you are talking about i believe is only for 2 years or 24,000 but i may be mistaken... anyone?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
i totally understand... but you missed my point, as stated before... i received my pro-cal complete with instructions, i have read the instructions and there is nothing saying that it needs to be done at or by ford also the warranty you are talking about i believe is only for 2 years or 24,000 but i may be mistaken... anyone?

The fact that the instructions did not say anything about installing at the dealer does not mean that it doesn't have to be.

Me personally, the device is bought for warranty piece of mind, so I spent the $100 for the dealer to install it. This way there is no question about it, and it is in the vehicle OASIS record.

snakebite72

Established Member
as you stated it is a fact... so i dont see any reason to spend $100 bucks for a "Ford Tech" to do this in 20 min also being a fact as you stated it stands up in court and as stated before if it comes to that, but i respect everyone's opinion if you feel the need to go and get this installed at Ford by all means do so... how would it look if Ford denies your warranty because you installed 1 of their products that is engineered by them for a specific Ford vehicle? That would create a very big issue with trust for the consumer and not to mention sales drop on both parts and vehicles, not a smart move for a company the size of FOMOCO.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or
36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle
Limited Warranty. This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for
engine, driveline and suspension parts when a concern is triggered by a warranted Ford Racing part.

The way I interpret this: The Limited warranty (covering all parts changes, in this case engine) takes the place of the factory warranty at time of installation by a Licensed Dealer.

Again, we have different opinions but don't see why you would risk any warranty issues for the $100.

1 srt4 U

Established Member
The way I interpret this: The Limited warranty (covering all parts changes, in this case engine) takes the place of the factory warranty at time of installation by a Licensed Dealer.

Again, we have different opinions but don't see why you would risk any warranty issues for the $100.

x2 around 89$ to install it and I have proof with a receipt from the dealer, I'll sleep okay with that. Money comes and goes, rather not spend a ton more in court fees etc especially to lose the case.

5.0jake

Established Member

According to my dealer the 3/36 Ford Racing warranty is a supplemental warranty. Your factory warranty still stays intact but if there is a powertrain issue where the procal is the blame the Ford Racing warranty is used.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
According to my dealer the 3/36 Ford Racing warranty is a supplemental warranty. Your factory warranty still stays intact but if there is a powertrain issue where the procal is the blame the Ford Racing warranty is used.

Still doesn't justify taking the chance of installing yourself. With that mentality, are you going to install the whipple kit just because the instructions don't say that you must have the dealer install. IMO, all FRPP parts should be installed by the dealer if you want piece of mind about your warranty.

snakebite72

Established Member
Sorry... but there is NO WAY i would let the dealer install a Whipple on my car, i would definitely do that myself, i know i would do it the right way... i have been working on cars since i was 13 got all my ASE's at 25 and now at 39 im a Certified Diesel Tech, plenty years of experience and this is my 7th mustang, i do not blame you for taking your car to the dealer to get this done... obviously you have your opinion and i have mine thats what makes this Nation Great I just cant see Ford voiding your factory warranty because you decided to install one of THEIR performance parts in your car... my car has 28,000 miles if they would add the 36,000 to that i would jump on it in a heart beat but i really doubt thats the case...

Last edited:

atistang

Established Member
i really wish people werent hearing pinging with the procal. that makes me want to stay clear of it, yet it the back of my mind it still feels like the safest route if you go with a tune...

5lho

Established Member
It's a good idea to do a crank sensor relearn after install. The tuner allows you to do this any time you want. It helps ditch the ping. You NEED to use real 91+ gas with this tune. The tune rocks for running around, boosting torque alot, improving throttle response and diminishing the rpm hang. Plus, it shuts off the skip-shYt.

1 srt4 U

Established Member
People have. It never shows any great peak gain. This is not a tune for numbers, its a tune for driveability.

-Ant

Well peak numbers aren't that important to me since I was running it 1/4 mile. A gain of 60 ft lb tq in the low end is a big gain. Torque is what gets you down the track, horsepower generally shows more in the top end.

Griever423

Established Member
From my experience with tuning other cars is that it takes a while for the ECU to "learn" the new tune and for it to adjust to your driving habits. I know when I flashed my STi with the accessport it took a couple of days for the tune to fully "kick in."

I wouldn't worry about the initial pinging as the car needs to learn and deal with what you just did to it. I wouldn't let that be a deterrent at all in getting one of these. Gonna get in touch with my local dealer tomorrow and probably order one of these soon. I have the stock 3.31 gears and I'm really wanting some low end grunt.

Users who are viewing this thread