FRPP ProCal installed: Impressions

JAMclutch

Established Member
I called FRPP yesterday. They told me the 2013 ProCal tunes aren't out yet but should be soon. I can't wait to get mine.

1 srt4 U

Established Member
Not sure if anyone can confirm this, but I heard there was a revised tune recently released for the Pro-Cal? Anyone know of anything? Could be just hear say but I was just wondering.

JAMclutch

Established Member
Not sure if anyone can confirm this, but I heard there was a revised tune recently released for the Pro-Cal? Anyone know of anything? Could be just hear say but I was just wondering.
Not sure if this is what you were referring to but the guy at FRPP told me that one of the reasons why the tune for the 13s hasn't been released is because of the obvious changes to the motor for 2013 and of the "fine tuning" of the calibrations. I also picked his brain on the whole "spark knock" and "catalytic impingement" ping that some Stangers have been reporting from the FRPP tune. He assured me that its 100% normal and safe and its due to the the way the tune increases the timing and the ping is there for a split second at WOT when the cpu is making its adjustments allowing the motor to run at its max potential without damaging any components. Im jonesing for this tune to be honest! I think its exactly what I'm looking for! Also, it will be a key member of my "all FRPP" modified Mustang. After the i get my SVT sport axel backs and the ProCal tune, ill be saving for the FRPP adjustable handling pack and FRPP GT500 Performance Package wheels. Then it'll be the Ford Racing Recaros(which i should have ordered when i purchased the car but oh well)!

JAMclutch

Established Member
Mine pinged for more than a split second.
Can you explain to me whats going on when you hear the ping? Like is it only at WOT at certain RPMs? How long does the ping last? 91 or 93 octane? Cold, warm or hot climate? I pray I'm one of the lucky ones without the ping when i get my tune! Thanks

Last edited:

drewzx3

Established Member
Can you explain to me whats going on when you hear the ping? Like is it only at WOT at certain RPMs? How long does the ping last? 91 or 93 octane? Cold, warm or hot climate? I pray I'm one of the lucky ones without the ping when i get my tune! Thanks
Yeah would do it some at wot lasts probably a couple seconds. I have only ran 93 octane in it. Has only done it with the weather being hot. Back when it was cooler I never heard it. At the track it is worth about .2. I tested the car with and without it one day.

snakebite72

Established Member
ok guys... this is what i got today...

IMAG0493.jpg

Still missing the K&N filter but after reading the instructions i decided to go ahead with the install, follow the instructions, there are a few steps but is quite easy to do... took me a about 20 min to finish, after the "Tune" was installed i turned the car on and left it on idle for a few minutes then i took it for a spin... of the bat i noticed the throttle response was much improved, the engine responds very quickly to throttle inputs, once i got to the main street the mid range came alive, the torque at low rpms is what makes driving the car more fun so i drove around for a few minutes to let the ECM do its thing then i started to drive a bit more aggressive... mid range got much better but i herd some pinging that slowly went away as i was driving so it got to a point where it was not pinging anymore, ok now for some WOT... 1st gear Useless, 2nd gear breaks loose, 3rd is when it starts getting interesting...seems to pick up speed very quickly, WOT Felt better than before but ok, i think this "tune" concentrates in the mid rpms of the engine... it is better to drive because now its very responsive when you need it also drive ability seems much better than stock, overall i love the mid-range doesn't take to much throttle to "go" definitely having that extra power down low makes the car more "fun" to drive and the fact that you retain warranty i say its a nice deal...

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
ok guys... this is what i got today...

IMAG0493.jpg

Still missing the K&N filter but after reading the instructions i decided to go ahead with the install, follow the instructions, there are a few steps but is quite easy to do... took me a about 20 min to finish, after the "Tune" was installed i turned the car on and left it on idle for a few minutes then i took it for a spin... of the bat i noticed the throttle response was much improved, the engine responds very quickly to throttle inputs, once i got to the main street the mid range came alive, the torque at low rpms is what makes driving the car more fun so i drove around for a few minutes to let the ECM do its thing then i started to drive a bit more aggressive... mid range got much better but i herd some pinging that slowly went away as i was driving so it got to a point where it was not pinging anymore, ok now for some WOT... 1st gear Useless, 2nd gear breaks loose, 3rd is when it starts getting interesting...seems to pick up speed very quickly, WOT Felt better than before but ok, i think this "tune" concentrates in the mid rpms of the engine... it is better to drive because now its very responsive when you need it also drive ability seems much better than stock, overall i love the mid-range doesn't take to much throttle to "go" definitely having that extra power down low makes the car more "fun" to drive and the fact that you retain warranty i say its a nice deal...

Glad you like it.

I thought that I read somewhere a licensed Ford Racing service department had to install in order for warranty to stay in place..?

whatsgrip?

Established Member
Glad you like it.

I thought that I read somewhere a licensed Ford Racing service department had to install in order for warranty to stay in place..?

+ 1 id like to know this too. If dealership install isn't needed to keep my warranty, I'll jump on this deal!

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
+ 1 id like to know this too. If dealership install isn't needed to keep my warranty, I'll jump on this deal!

From FRPP Warranty section:

Performance Packs and Components are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when
installed on a late model Ford vehicles by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer or Shelby Automotive, Inc
beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or
36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle
Limited Warranty. This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for
engine, driveline and suspension parts when a concern is triggered by a warranted Ford Racing part. This
Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and
suspension parts, when the warranted Ford Racing Part is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern.
Installation of these select Ford Racing parts by an authorized dealer does not nullify the New Vehicle
Limited Warranty. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford Racing
parts remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty

86merc

Established Member
I wish they would make this very clear about the procal install. I know some people received emails saying the tune does not need to be installed by the dealer. The comment is meant towards hard parts like the suspensions, blowers and so on. But with out written confirmation in their warranty policy I was not willing to risk it.

TheYeti

Established Member
I wish they would make this very clear about the procal install. I know some people received emails saying the tune does not need to be installed by the dealer. The comment is meant towards hard parts like the suspensions, blowers and so on. But with out written confirmation in their warranty policy I was not willing to risk it.

exactly. If a dealer says they dont need to install it, I would definitely want that in writing so if something happens in the future, you are ok. So far though, I dont think anyone has had any issues with the ProCal.

If I can get a dealer around here to confirm that they dont need to install it, I will buy it soon

Davey

Established Member
The only issue I have with the ProCal is that it's not available for the 2013 yet.

5.0jake

Established Member
I actually just talked to a dealership and they said it retains the warranty regardless of who does the install on it.

I don't know in my case after the dealer installed it, Warranty, Ford Racing [email protected] wanted a copy of the RO from when the dealer installed my PROCAL as well as the mileage before they could register me for the warranty.

snakebite72

Established Member
when you receive the package... 1st there is nothing stating that it needs to be done at the dealer or done by a qualified tech this is why i decided to install it myself, 2nd the memory card comes with your name and the VIN of the vehicle on it witch is where your new tune is stored once you download it...it stores your stock tune so don't loose it, i plan on keeping the pro-cal since it can read DTC's and can change parameters in your tune in case you change gears or install bigger wheels etc...etc, i would like to see Ford deny your warranty with all this in the judges face... if it comes to that.

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
I don't know in my case after the dealer installed it, Warranty, Ford Racing [email protected] wanted a copy of the RO from when the dealer installed my PROCAL as well as the mileage before they could register me for the warranty.

Where or how did you register for the warranty? Fordracingparts.com does not seem to have a place to register for the warranty. Just to register the tool.

snakebite72

Established Member
thats all you have to do... once you register your pro-cal you will receive the item and the memory card that has been assigned to your car with the new tune, verify that the VIN matches yours and you are set to go... went to my boys shop to get my Barton bracket installed and i herd the pinging again but it goes away after a few minutes of driving and its only under load, i wonder if this parameter resets after the ign has been turned off...or if the ECM is still learning... if this persist i will give SVT a call and see what they say about that...

Users who are viewing this thread