FRPP ProCal installed: Impressions

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
So can anyone answer if it shortens the warranty or maintains the full length? I really want to know so I can decide if I'm going out to get it put in today.

I changes certain aspects of the warranty, but it does not shorten it. You still have a 3/36 bumper to bumper and a 5/60 powertrain.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Its true if you ask anyone that has an auto they do not change the shift pressure or the shift rpm's. They basically leave it stock. This is why i opted for another tune. But with the '13's there is a tranny sport mode that holds the gears longer but still only shifts at 6800.

Why is shifting at 6800 a bad thing with a redline of 7k.

Well according to FRPP and your "they don't do anything with the automatic":

Automatic transmission calibration is an area where Ford Racing sets itself apart from other "tuners." We generally make extensive calibration changes to not only improve shift quality and give the transmission a more performance-oriented feel, but take great care to ensure that durability is not compromised to levels we feel would be unacceptable to a customer. In development we monitor things like clutch slip times, slip energies, band temperatures and other variables to make calibration changes as appropriate so that the customer can be sure of a quality product that will continue to deliver improved performance in the long-term. As mentioned before, these changes are performed by the same engineers who designed and developed the vehicles in the first place, and who are more familiar than anyone with their performance and durability envelopes.

TheYeti

Established Member
Can someone chime in that has this on an auto. Not too concerned about the shift points but more about the throttle response and low end tq. Does the ProCal help this?

DIB5.0

Established Member
Yes it does help all of that. Not sure about the tranny statement as I'm not sure what is changed. The one i drove still shifted at 6800 and the shit pressure was not changed. Maybe it hold the gears longer like the sport shift on the '13?

TheYeti

Established Member
Yes it does help all of that. Not sure about the tranny statement as I'm not sure what is changed. The one i drove still shifted at 6800 and the shit pressure was not changed. Maybe it hold the gears longer like the sport shift on the '13?

thanks for the reply. Yeah I just need better throttle response and low end tq. Sometimes the car seems to have a lot of pep and sometimes it feels as if I had a manual and I started from a stop in 5th gear. I know the ECU is supposed to change the driving based on your habits but sometimes this happens within the same travel from A to B. This is the first car that I've had to be really cognizant of my foot placement on the gas pedal.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
If you have an auto and are interested, call FRPP and speak with them directly. There are plenty of better tunes/tuners out there for the auto (many are vendors here), but for the guy who is conservative this may still satisfy him.

5.0jake

Established Member
I've heard it takes the powertrain down to 3/36

What you heard is incorrect. Your 5/60 is left intact. If you have a major powertrain issue after the 3/36 and the was blamed they could deny the claim...
Basically the FRPP comes with a supplemental 3/36 powertrain warranty. If the tune was the blame of a powertrain coverage your supplemental warranty would take over. Your original factory Ford 3/36 B-to-B and 5/60 are left intact and not in any way void! I have researched this extensively.:read:

As far as the Procal and auto I'd recommend an aftermarket tune. It made a difference for sure but was pretty mild compared to the difference it made in my manual. It also didn't firm the shift up which is another huge negative imo.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Does this keep your extended warranty in tact if you have a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
What you heard is incorrect. Your 5/60 is left intact. If you have a major powertrain issue after the 3/36 and the was blamed they could deny the claim...

To me, this is pretty much the same thing as saying it's now just 3/36. Any tune can potentially void the warranty. In this case Ford Racing is just taking over coverage for tune-related issue for the 3/36 period. After that, if a problem occurs Ford could void you warranty just the same as if any other tune was loaded. Doesn't mean they will void it, but they could.

5.0jake

Established Member
To me, this is pretty much the same thing as saying it's now just 3/36. Any tune can potentially void the warranty. In this case Ford Racing is just taking over coverage for tune-related issue for the 3/36 period. After that, if a problem occurs Ford could void you warranty just the same as if any other tune was loaded. Doesn't mean they will void it, but they could.

Correct but nothing automatically is void because you got a tune like RioRed4v was saying.

In theory you should have a better chance with the FRPP tune compared to other aftermarket tunes in that situation.
It would be a tough case since FRPP tuned cars have VERY low failure rates so a fair dealer should look elsewhere than the tune as the cause of an issue. There may be one case if any that I know of where there was a powertrain failure with the PROCAL and the new 5.0.
My experience with 2 different dealers has been very positive when talking about the FRPP and warranty and very negative when I brought other tunes...

Last edited:

snakebite72

Established Member
sounds exactly what i was looking for... a little more power and better throttle response and the fact that it retains warranty, im going to order my pro-cal and give it a shot... ill keep you guys posted.

JAMclutch

Established Member
Im gonna pull the trigger on it real soon as well. For anyone who might be interested in knowing, i have read/heard that the FRPP tune is best suited for those with taller gears. Guys with 3.31s and 3.55s get the most use out of the extra low end torque and that coupled with the much better throttle response can make this tune a real tire shredder for those with shorter gearing. For me though(i have 3.73s and MT82), i really don't care and i welcome all that extra torque and throttle response. Im used to crazy torque anyway from my 383 stroker TA. Most of the other Stangers I've asked that have the tune already tell me the absolutely love it, that it turns the car into a different beast, and they'll never go back to stock! It doesn't say anything about the 13s yet but i know its the same hardware. Its just a matter of Ford Racing having the tunes available for the guys with 2013s(including myself)I can't wait to get it!

Last edited:

SirJAG

Established Member
my buddy down the street has your same car JAM, he went with bama tune. i drove the car before and after, it was an amazing difference. 5th/6th gear not much of a difference, 2-4th though pulls much much harder, have to pedal it to maintain traction.

just a thought, i have no personal experience with the procal, but seems pricey for what you get.

EnthusiastGT

Established Member
Does this keep your extended warranty in tact if you have a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty?

I have one as well. This would be a sticky situation. What if you installed the ProCal and had the car melt a piston 5 years down the road (when the car is still under warranty). It would be easier for them to blame the tune at that point. I played with the idea of the pro cal but I prefer peace of mind over another few horsepower (that doesn't benefit me 99% of the time anyway). I may change my tune (no pun intended) if a truly revolutionary low cost mod comes out in a few years. Otherwise probably just a supercharger for me in 5 years :p

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
my buddy down the street has your same car JAM, he went with bama tune. i drove the car before and after, it was an amazing difference. 5th/6th gear not much of a difference, 2-4th though pulls much much harder, have to pedal it to maintain traction.

just a thought, i have no personal experience with the procal, but seems pricey for what you get.

There are a lot of better tunes out there, and I stated this in my original post.

For someone that does not want dealer/warraty issues, elimination of skip shift, improved partial throttle response, noticable WOT response, and additional HP/TQ throughout the RPM's..... this is a good choice.

BTW, $300-$400 is not a lot when you consider some pay $500+ just for the sound of an axleback.

JAMclutch

Established Member
If i didn't care about my warranty, i would just get a Blow By Racing or Steeda dyno tune being they're both about 20 minutes away from where i live. But no tune by itself is gonna turn these cars into 11 second runners so for my needs right now, i think that extra peace of mind of the warranty going with the FRPP tune and getting rid of this stupid throttle lag is worth it over the other guys...despite how superior their tunes may be. My next real step after saving a few will actually be getting a supercharger kit and then for sure, the car will be a monster! And many are available with a supplemental 5 -year 60,000 mile warranty as well. The ProCal tune can be purchased online for $289.00 which is well worth it to make my car fell like the V8 that it is!

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
If i didn't care about my warranty, i would just get a Blow By Racing or Steeda dyno tune being they're both about 20 minutes away from where i live. But no tune by itself is gonna turn these cars into 11 second runners so for my needs right now, i think that extra peace of mind of the warranty going with the FRPP tune and getting rid of this stupid throttle lag is worth it over the other guys...despite how superior their tunes may be. My next real step after saving a few will actually be getting a supercharger kit and then for sure, the car will be a monster! And many are available with a supplemental 5 -year 60,000 mile warranty as well. The ProCal tune can be purchased online for $289.00 which is well worth it to make my car fell like the V8 that it is!

That's bs, the tune alone is the real mod that gets these cars moving

JAMclutch

Established Member
That's bs, the tune alone is the real mod that gets these cars moving
Whats BS?....So your telling me that you've seen 5.0 Coyotes run in the 11s with just a tune? WOW! What I'm saying is that I'm sure the FRPP tune is fine for those looking for a little more out of the car without worrying about major warranty issues! And i know that the tunes are the deciding factor for getting these cars "moving"! Hence posting in this thread to see how people are liking the ProCal tune and what there feelings are about it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread