Ford releasing a supercar Mustang Thursday 17th

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Well I know I like the car, got a chip, and will follow through and buy one. Having a bunch of mustangs the FGT's, trucks, and early broncos, how could we not. On the comments that this car is not for Ford's customers? I'd beg to differ, this has us square in the crosshairs. Bring on LeMans.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well I know I like the car, got a chip, and will follow through and buy one. Having a bunch of mustangs the FGT's, trucks, and early broncos, how could we not. On the comments that this car is not for Ford's customers? I'd beg to differ, this has us square in the crosshairs. Bring on LeMans.

I'm sure you realize you're not a typical Ford customer, right?

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
So whats kind of cool to look back. We attended an SAE presentation in Detroit a few years ago, discussing the creation of the NGT. They spent a lot of time talking about Project Silver, which was a project to take the Mustang to LeMans. They decided then, that in the class structure back then, it would not have been competitive. The project was scrapped. That lead to Project Phoenix (rising from the ashes of silver), which was the NGT. The GTD was Project Gold.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The custom color option is awesome. The 1 of 1 program on the Gen V Vipers garnered a ton of attention and there were endless colors that were produced on them.

In the past 48 hours I went from not really interested, to it's a cool idea, to this would be badass to own. I think I've concluded I need one.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I'm not sure what to think, part of me really wants an allocation and want to get it but 300K is AWFUL close to an 05-06 Ford GT for a "souped-up a mustang to most people". That's also more than the new gt3rs in theory (msrp for them I think is 250k or so) Feels like it should more be competing with a future gt2rs more than a gt3rs in my mind with having that much power.
The new GT3RSs are going for closer to $600k!

If we're talking MSRP though we are into true Ford v. Ferrari prices.

No offense to Ford dealers or mechanics on the board but seriously, if Ford is selling $300k cars then they really need to step us the service department experience (at least for these owners). It will be an even worse issue than having to take Corvettes to Chevy. It's NOT the same experience as taking in a Porsche.

I'll take my slantnose to the Porsche dealer. I'm obviously not taking the '69 to the local Ford dealer.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The new GT3RSs are going for closer to $600k!

If we're talking MSRP though we are into true Ford v. Ferrari prices.

No offense to Ford dealers or mechanics on the board but seriously, if Ford is selling $300k cars then they really need to step us the service department experience (at least for these owners). It will be an even worse issue than having to take Corvettes to Chevy. It's NOT the same experience as taking in a Porsche.

I'll take my slantnose to the Porsche dealer. I'm obviously not taking the '69 to the local Ford dealer.

Depends on what Ford dealer you're talking about...

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I know there are plenty of members here who would be much happier if Ford just rereleased a Fox LX or New Edge GT and that's fine. But this car sounds amazing.

Since when is the GT500 Predator a so-so motor? Even with no changes it would have been badass. 800hp is even better, but the closer to 900 13COBRA is saying is amazing. Yes I would have liked to see a new high rpm NA screamer. But I understand this is still a Mustang and power is the name of the game. A beefed up Predator is just fine.

Yes 300K is a lot for a Mustang, but this is slightly more than just a Mustang. The stuff Multimatic added is truly awesome. The bare drivetrain looks so cool. Those shocks are works of art. And if I had one I'd be tempted to take of the decklid to see the rear suspension all the time. A GT3RS goes for 250K before options and mark up. The 911 S/T, which is the GT3RS suspension and motor in a nearly standard 911 body is 295K! And I'm sure mark ups are nearly double. Yes Porsche is Porsche and those cars have earned the right to charge a lot, but this GTD has even more race car tech on board. And if the FGT is anything to go by, the build quality will be even higher than the Germans and Italians.

I'm sure the performance will be punch well above its price class. We saw what Ford could do with the heavy GT500. That car did pretty well for it's size and construction. Now Multimatic is on board, with better tires, less weight, crazy suspension, active aero, more power, and better brakes? This car will be serious.

I also like what this says about the future of Ford. The struggle to get the S550 GT500 approved and out the door was concerning. But that this car was dropped this early in the S650 life cycle, with almost no warning, tells me people at Ford still care about real cars.

fitforspeed

Established Member
What the hell are you talking about? Lol. The car is so expensive because these "few bits" of components are one offs or are derived from the racecars. The ASV dampers are Multimatic's own so they don't come from Ford. You think they went and raided the SuperStallion and that suspension just bolted right up to the S650? Some of you guys should re-read your posts before posting.

I can agree that the engine seems a little lazy keeping the supercharged 5.2, but there is still info we haven't seen on it. I personally would have liked to have seen them go with turbos.

Expensive is because Ford feels they can. They look around and see the price Dodge was getting on the Demon 170, GM with the current ZO6. Ford knows from personal experience(most recent Ford GT and GT500) that there are people currently willing to pay whatever they ask plus ADM for the performance and exclusivity. The automotive industry is in the forefront of the world right now. Before Covid we all had plentiful choices for great relatively affordable performance vehicles and options for modding those vehicles if we so choose. Now those options have all but largely dried up. Those with the deeper pockets love to have what others can’t. Ford sees this and so does the rest of the world. That’s why prices on everything have doubled. Because those with the means are paying it. As for the Multimatic dampers I spoke no hate for them. I had a 2021 ZL1 1LE. Nothing but high praise for Multimatic! Their suspension is Top shelf for sure. As for the Super Stallions cantilevered rear suspension I was not suggesting they retrofit that very setup to the new GTD. Obviously Ford had a new cantilevered rear suspension engineered to fit with the S550/650 rear suspension. It’s a great setup. I am just pointing out Ford has done this same thing back in the 90’s, so it’s not some amazing revelation in engineering and design. It’s a great car I’m not denying that, as was the latest GT500. But in my eyes Ford took a S550 GT500, removed the expensive/heavy DCT trans and replaced that with the rear transaxle(which Corvettes have had for how long?), had Multimatic install their own amazing dampers to replace Fords previous heavy magnetic units, and then added a Mr Bodykit. I just don’t see how a Gt500 with Multimatic dampers, new rear transaxle, and a body kit equate to $300k. And yes I am in agreement with you on that the twin turbo’s should have replaced the supercharger. But again Ford took the lazy/cheaper way out. Ford already did the homework for twins back with the 2012 twin turbo Cobra Jet concept, but they again fail to deliver the full potential available so they can save/make more $$ for themselves. Oh almost forgot about the fancy 1970’s magnesium wheels. Those should hold up great on the roads many have to drive on, not. How many times have magnesium wheels been tried and cancelled on road going cars/bikes because they just aren’t able to take the abuse. Ford should have just kept with the already engineered and paid for carbon fiber wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
^ meh

It's all so tiring. I've had threads about it before. I don't like exclusivity games and ADM bullshit. Just price the car at what the market will bare or produce enough to meet the market demand.

Why bother even announcing this car when the price is ridiculous and even if you can afford it you have to submit an application. How very "Ferrari" of them.

Building a handful of Half-Million Dollar super cars is not impressive. What would take enormous skill and management would be building a fun V8 pony car for under $35k in today's world.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^ meh

It's all so tiring. I've had threads about it before. I don't like exclusivity games and ADM bullshit.

Why bother even announcing this car when the price is ridiculous and even if you can afford it you have to submit an application. How very "Ferrari" of them.

Building a handful of Half-Million Dollar super cars is not impressive. What would take enormous skill and management would be building a fun V8 pony car for under $35k in today's world.

It'll be more than a handful.

lolol You can barely R&D one for $35k...before incurring any other expenses....or actually physically putting one together.

A 900hp Mustang that is garnering this much hate within 18 hours of release is a prime example of how the internet has ****ed over our world. lol What is there to hate about this?

If you can't afford one, cool. If you can, cool. If you want one, cool. If you don't want one, cool.

This is a badass piece of machinery. Takes a $600k GT3 car, cuts the cost in half, and makes it street legal.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
There's a lot of nice cars you can buy for this kind of money but the appeal of GTD is really specific. For me personally, I like track-oriented, big wing, aero, motorsports-derived cars. The benchmark for that is and will always be the GT3 RS which is really pretty much unbeatable IMO as the perpetual best car on earth. I think the best case scenario is to be competitive with that car dynamically. If anyone is mentioning your product alongside the GT3 RS, I'd consider it a win.

The other car would be the AMG GT Black Series, which is the car that's most similar to GTD, but that's out of production. I have a Black Series. It's not a pretty car, but it's an absolute monster. It's just absolutely ridiculous on a road course. It's a very similar car overall but from a pure content perspective, I really think the GTD is superior. Better, more livable, more capable suspension, better aero solutions, lighter wheels, better trans, better sound. If GTD manages to be right around that performance level, that's a pretty wild machine. Even more power (but also more weight). The challenge is that the BS is a Mercedes and the GTD is a Mustang, and can you make the mental leap on that one.

I dunno, but I find it hard to be annoyed that Ford is building a Mustang competitive with those two vehicles. It's actually somewhat mind-boggling. And there's so many Mustangs now from top to bottom that there's something just about at every price point.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Expensive is because Ford feels they can. They look around and see the price Dodge was getting on the Demon 170, GM with the current ZO6. Ford knows from personal experience(most recent Ford GT and GT500) that there are people currently willing to pay whatever they ask plus ADM for the performance and exclusivity. The automotive industry is in the forefront of the world right now. Before Covid we all had plentiful choices for great relatively affordable performance vehicles and options for modding those vehicles if we so choose. Now those options have all but largely dried up. Those with the deeper pockets love to have what others can’t. Ford sees this and so does the rest of the world. That’s why prices on everything have doubled. Because those with the means are paying it. As for the Multimatic dampers I spoke no hate for them. I had a 2021 ZL1 1LE. Nothing but high praise for Multimatic! Their suspension is Top shelf for sure. As for the Super Stallions cantilevered rear suspension I was not suggesting they retrofit that very setup to the new GTD. Obviously Ford had a new cantilevered rear suspension engineered to fit with the S550/650 rear suspension. It’s a great setup. I am just pointing out Ford has done this same thing back in the 90’s, so it’s not some amazing revelation in engineering and design. It’s a great car I’m not denying that, as was the latest GT500. But in my eyes Ford took a S550 GT500, removed the expensive/heavy DCT trans and replaced that with the rear transaxle(which Corvettes have had for how long?), had Multimatic install their own amazing dampers to replace Fords previous heavy magnetic units, and then added a Mr Bodykit. I just don’t see how a Gt500 with Multimatic dampers, new rear transaxle, and a body kit equate to $300k. And yes I am in agreement with you on that the twin turbo’s should have replaced the supercharger. But again Ford took the lazy/cheaper way out. Ford already did the homework for twins back with the 2012 twin turbo Cobra Jet concept, but they again fail to deliver the full potential available so they can save/make more $$ for themselves. Oh almost forgot about the fancy 1970’s magnesium wheels. Those should hold up great on the roads many have to drive on, not. How many times have magnesium wheels been tried and cancelled on road going cars/bikes because they just aren’t able to take the abuse. Ford should have just kept with the already engineered and paid for carbon fiber wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

You are so severely understating the complexity of everything packed into this vehicle. You have Multimatic, one of the most prestigious racecar builders and engineering firms out there saying getting a transaxle to fit in a Mustang was the hardest thing they had to do. The Corvette is designed every generation to use a transaxle, the Mustang is not hence why everything has to be re-engineered to make one work. Cantilevered suspension is a style of suspension, just like MacPherson and double wishbone. It's going to look pretty much the same in every car utilizing whatever type, but is going to be engineered differently for every vehicle. How many cars do you know that are street legal that have this type of suspension? You're downplaying one of the most exotic aspects of the car's engineering.

I get the car is not for everyone, but wow... Mustangs sure do bring out the illogical hate from members here. @13COBRA was spot on. The internet ruined everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread