First time out with a Whipple disappointed.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Your car was crawling off the line... Feathering the launch that slow (because of junk tires) doesn't help. Your Whipple will be a turd untill you get the boost up closer to 10psi. Your timing is probably conservative too. Shift the thing above 7K, but keep it off the rev limiter. Your limiter should be bumped up to 7500. You should see atleast 127+ mph doing the above... Get a friggin Tire! Lol!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
maybe I missed it.. what gears are in this car? Are you shifting into 5th before the end of the track?

Troponin

Established Member
Tuning and heat will be the two biggest factors (not including traction). At 85+ degrees, mine starts pulling a lot of timing. Both my truck and car are at 10 PSI as well. If you are on the Whipple tuning, then there is a lot of your problem. Once you have a custom tune, it will rip at low RPMs and your 60' will drop like crazy

Ryan Fonseca

Established Member
Do they sell this kit without the tuner? Im looking to get one on my 2013 i just got, but I live in AZ where today was "nice out" cause it was ONLY 103 lol. So im a bit concerned about it being a dead fish on the ford tune when its hot out. But I guess safe is better than fast. Suggestions?

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Do they sell this kit without the tuner? Im looking to get one on my 2013 i just got, but I live in AZ where today was "nice out" cause it was ONLY 103 lol. So im a bit concerned about it being a dead fish on the ford tune when its hot out. But I guess safe is better than fast. Suggestions?

Get the VMP Gen 2 TVS with the big heat exchanger and fans. You'll be much happier with it .

kowalmustang

Established Member
I am not sure if they sell this supercharger as a tuner kit. I bought this used and have it tuned through AED. The blower came with a Kenny bell heatexchanger so it's pretty big. I'm going to get it dynoed on Saturday so will see if the car is making the power it's supposed to. Dyno should tell a little more since it will log boost and a external wide band. Could be just a belt slip I will know more on saturday.

Ryan Fonseca

Established Member
Get the VMP Gen 2 TVS with the big heat exchanger and fans. You'll be much happier with it .

But they are so expensive!!! lol is buying direct the best deal? Im up in the air on purchases right now... Supercharge the car ive owned for less than 2 weeks, buy a 3rd supermoto, or buy a daily driver so I can keep low miles on the stang... All 3 will happen but what order... lol

Ryan Fonseca

Established Member
I am not sure if they sell this supercharger as a tuner kit. I bought this used and have it tuned through AED. The blower came with a Kenny bell heatexchanger so it's pretty big. I'm going to get it dynoed on Saturday so will see if the car is making the power it's supposed to. Dyno should tell a little more since it will log boost and a external wide band. Could be just a belt slip I will know more on saturday.

Are you going to post results here or make another post?

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
But they are so expensive!!! lol is buying direct the best deal? Im up in the air on purchases right now... Supercharge the car ive owned for less than 2 weeks, buy a 3rd supermoto, or buy a daily driver so I can keep low miles on the stang... All 3 will happen but what order... lol

Buy a beater to keep the miles off the Stang! My 2011 has under 14,000 miles & I'm pretty hard on it!.

kowalmustang

Established Member
I don't need two projects I already have a beater mazda to drive in the rain and snow. I think the problem is with my shifting at 7500rpm. This is where Shaun had it tuned to, which lead me to believe the car made power to 7500rpm. With the dyno I'll now where the power starts to drop off. I will post dyno results here. The car definitely feels stronger then the cj and e85 but the 3 mph trap increase didn't justify the 100hp increase.

mhyjek

Established Member
hang in there

I don't need two projects I already have a beater mazda to drive in the rain and snow. I think the problem is with my shifting at 7500rpm. This is where Shaun had it tuned to, which lead me to believe the car made power to 7500rpm. With the dyno I'll now where the power starts to drop off. I will post dyno results here. The car definitely feels stronger then the cj and e85 but the 3 mph trap increase didn't justify the 100hp increase.
Does Shawn have logs from the track? He would know whats up; I definitely think your car is off but Shawn is the man he will get it done! I had paxton 13 it took me a couple revisions to get it consistently run in the mid 130s best was 137 but it was mineshaft air actually had a bad 60 foot on that pass it think if it hooked maybe 140. But my first couple times at the track it was running 126-128

Shaun@AED

I know what's up, just have not posted because I've already gone over this with the customer. Given the DA, the added weight of the SC setup on the front of the car, the driving style in the video, and the power output the MPH does not surprise me.

The setup would put out 550RWHP or less on my chassis dyno, it does not have enough timing programmed to make more power and that is due to the fuel quality seen in the data logs when tuning. We ramped up timing till we saw some knock activity then backed it off, and I've seen a few logs since that suggest the ECU has since seen further knock and pulled timing via the octane adjustment tables. There could also be false knock from exhaust hitting the chassis during shifts at the track, but I would not know if that is the case or not as i've not seen 1/4 mile logs.
My advise has been to run better fuel and if he wanted we could do a 100+ octane race gas tune for more power.

To hit 600 with the 3.375" pulley we'd need a throttle body, CAI, free flowing exhaust, and 20+ degrees ignition timing. I've seen it before, but it's very rare to have consistent fuel quality good enough to do it.

In general the Whipple makes less low/midrange torque than the TVS. The advantage of the whipple is high in the RPM band, so you need to keep it there when racing.

The 600RWHP whipple Coyote I tuned/drove last week did not feel like it was a 600RWHP GT500 due to the lack of midrange.

kowalmustang

Established Member
Shaun has tuned my car from the beginning and after over 100 track passes and many wot hits car still runs perfect and has no blowby and 175psi compression all 8 cylinders. This is my first blower car, so I have many questions about it. To me a gain of 100hp should equate to more then 3 mph trap speed. The launch wasn't great but all 13 passes where wot from start to finish DA was 780 that day not bad. I think something might be wrong that's why I asked what others here have run with a similar setup. I know this is just the begging and there is more to gain. Just want to make sure it runs the way its supposed to with the things it has already. With the CJ I ran E85 and that's what the plans are for the whipple. Shaun is a great tuner and many people on the street found that out. The car with the CJ would have been way faster then 11.9 on a good tire but that's what it ran on the street without any burnouts and street tires. At the track on a 20 inch low profile tire it beat many cars on a slick and skinny tire, what it lost at launch it would make up at top end. I just think something is wrong and want to find out what it is. I love when my car runs great that's why I want this whipple setup to run. Right now I think it's still not where it supposed to be with the mods. Is it dynos 550rwhp then I will know the car is where its supposed to be. Thanks all for the feedback.

kowalmustang

Established Member
With regards of the datalog, nothing but my fault. Half way to the track I realized I left the sct at home. I had the laptop and usb cable but no sct tuner. I keep beating myself up for that.

JTS_7

Established Member
First I would stop comparing it to your CJ setup.

I doubt anything is wrong. You are tuned by the best of the best. It's a matter of you dialing in suspension, tire, losing weight off the car, and launching it appropriately, and keeping it in the powerband.

You launched soft, slow shifting, and still gained 3mph.

If you put a slick on and launched it off a two step, and banged the gears, we would be having a different conversation.

Stop looking for a phantom problem.

Last edited:

q6543

Established Member
Yup bigtime, these cars get ALOT of mph from the launch.

you don't actually want to dead hook, but you need to leave as close to the limiter as you can so when you let out you get1\2 to maybe 1 full rotation, a real tire will recover out of that, you'll actually get pushed forward.

That alone with powershifting it will prob pick up 10 mph maybe a lil less.

says the guy with a offroad x, e85, and can bang 11.3s at 120 all day long, stock intake/headers

Rick14

Established Member
I know what's up, just have not posted because I've already gone over this with the customer. Given the DA, the added weight of the SC setup on the front of the car, the driving style in the video, and the power output the MPH does not surprise me.

The setup would put out 550RWHP or less on my chassis dyno, it does not have enough timing programmed to make more power and that is due to the fuel quality seen in the data logs when tuning. We ramped up timing till we saw some knock activity then backed it off, and I've seen a few logs since that suggest the ECU has since seen further knock and pulled timing via the octane adjustment tables. There could also be false knock from exhaust hitting the chassis during shifts at the track, but I would not know if that is the case or not as i've not seen 1/4 mile logs.
My advise has been to run better fuel and if he wanted we could do a 100+ octane race gas tune for more power.

To hit 600 with the 3.375" pulley we'd need a throttle body, CAI, free flowing exhaust, and 20+ degrees ignition timing. I've seen it before, but it's very rare to have consistent fuel quality good enough to do it.

In general the Whipple makes less low/midrange torque than the TVS. The advantage of the whipple is high in the RPM band, so you need to keep it there when racing.

The 600RWHP whipple Coyote I tuned/drove last week did not feel like it was a 600RWHP GT500 due to the lack of midrange.

He's dead on, described my set up. I am 580-600 on a mustang dyno and pulls hard thru 3rd gear. Couldn't keep traction until I changed the tires. Never tracked the car though

Users who are viewing this thread