First time out with a Whipple disappointed.

q6543

Established Member
I'll never ever for the life of me understand people that drag race on a street compund.

best of luck...when you want to be serious....get a serious tire

and of course it's Fn slower. ..you're makin more power and did zero to put it down.
almost as fast as a bone stock car off the lot with a TIRE AND TUNE

Last edited:

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Hard to tell. I run about 11 flat with 6lb of boost at 127mph. My 60's are about 1.65 to 1.75. You should be faster than 11.9 but if you are spinning a lot that will easily kill the time. You should be running about the same times as me since we are at similar DA's.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
That blower really shows up down low. You will need a tire to enjoy the benefits of the power. I know you are looking at trap speed numbers but it will show you more in the first 330.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Its a very safe tune. The timing hits around 14 degrees at WOT and 7300 rpms. My car goes through the traps in third gear and 7300. Although I suspect I am losing some time by not shifting around 6500 rpms because the power curve isn't as steep after 7000 rpms. I am playing around with it to see what works and what doesn't.

kowalmustang

Established Member
There was a guy there last year with 2011 with a tvs on 20s That would miss gear,spin tires and ran 12.1 at 129. He wasn't doing well but you knew his car was running strong with that trap speed. My car was not spinning to badly since I was dead even with my bodies 2011 ctsv pushing 12psi no cats and on nt05r. Better 60s would help with my time but from personal experience with worse 60s you get better trap speeds. I need to dyno it because I think it not making the power it's supposed to.

Vert

Established Member
There was a guy there last year with 2011 with a tvs on 20s That would miss gear,spin tires and ran 12.1 at 129. He wasn't doing well but you knew his car was running strong with that trap speed. My car was not spinning to badly since I was dead even with my bodies 2011 ctsv pushing 12psi no cats and on nt05r. Better 60s would help with my time but from personal experience with worse 60s you get better trap speeds. I need to dyno it because I think it not making the power it's supposed to.

That's probably for the best, but i would still drop to a 3.25 pulley since most tvs can run 10lbs of boost with 47lbers. I think one guy on mustang source only dynod at 510 at 7lbs of boost, but with more boost and a better tune you should hit close to 600.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
probably pushing too much heat. Need to look at the IATs....

kowalmustang

Established Member
Thanks guys. I will put it on the dyno and find out what it's pushing to the tire. Do some more datalogs and hopefully find out what's the matter. For now it's running and it still feels good but I thing there is more in it even with the 7psi.

5lho

Established Member
I completely agree with you; definitely more to be had here. What you are encountering I've seen with tons of factory Roush cars and Wipple equipped at the trac too. Ultra conservative settings and response from the tune to certain parameters being encountered in operation. The dyno is a good start to figuring it out.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
dude ur on a street tire at the track and ur making more power now. wat exactly did u think was gonna happen? u were gonna go faster and get better traction now? u can play with watever u want but until u buy a tire that hooks ur wasting ur time!

nate-roth

Established Member
I'm assuming your data logging with SCT Live Link. At the track or somewhere you make WOT pulls datalog the following:
1. AIT 2 or whatever reads post compressor air temp - on my Magnuson its IAT 1(uses a piggy back wiring harness) but on Roush/VMP's it's IAT 2. I can assure you it will be more than 78F this time of year.
2. Log borderline spark - 16deg is a little conservative but safe at your boost level
3. Log knock
4. Log STFT (short term fuel trim) - if the STFT's are good at WOT, the WOT MAF curve/fueling is good and there is no need to change fueling
5. Log MAF LB/MIN - if your WOT STFT are good- the MAF LB/MIN will give a baseline to see how much power the motor is making and how much your future mods are helping. The key is this- If the STFT are off the MAF LB/MIN readings will be skewed and won't provide any useable data. You have to have STFT error within 1-2% to gain have any valuable data from the MAF LB/Min readings

I would not get too disappointed with the car yet, there are a ton of variables. When I first installed my Magnuson and got the tune dialed in I was logging 62 lb/min on datalogs, car felt ok but I was not overwhelmed. Then went from a 3.9" to 3.6" pulley, added a 4" CAI, installed 6510 plugs, added ID1000 injectors and JMS BAP, UPR offroad X-pipe, E-85 tune, re-tuned the car and now log consistent 79-80 lb/min. The car also feels like it gained 150 hp over the base supercharger set up, car feels very, very strong now.

c_me_pass_u

Established Member
A friend of mine went 10.5-10.6 with around 7-8 psi tuned by lund on 93...i cant remember the mph tho...but a lot of ppl are looking at this like its a tvs which it isnt...i think the stock roush tvs came out stronger than the 2.3 whipple...another friend went 9.9@137 with a 2.875(12-13psi)pulley but on e85

kowalmustang

Established Member
The start was weak the tires hooked a little spin in 2nd but not that bad.

[video=youtube;yZFDK9u2dGQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZFDK9u2dGQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Sizeth3

Established Member
I had a similar disappointing experience with my Procharger setup initially.

In my case, the canned Procharger tune had much lower shift points that my N/A tune, so even though I added 200+ horsepower to my car, I didn't gain the ET and MPH I thought I would due to the conservative shift points.

I wound up getting a custom tune and ID1000 injectors, and am very happy with the result.

Are you not on a drag radial? I can't believe that thing is even hooking up lol :). Get a tire man.

Last edited:

kowalmustang

Established Member
I have another set off rims and going to put some drag radials on as soon as my whipple can brake the 20s loose. So far they do a decant job.

Users who are viewing this thread