First oil change done at 6K miles and...............

SicShelby09

Banned
There is no new engine knocks or ticks. I did the change over to mobil 1 5w20, and the mobil 1 filter. It took 8 full quarts and now the dip stick shows it at the top of the cross hatch marks still under the top hole as the manual states.

Now I dont know if its just me, but the car seems to idle smoother and seems to rev a little easier. Im not saying its making more power or faster, but it seems to just be smoother and possible a tad bit quieter. I reset the oil meter back to 100%, it was at 56% at 5997 miles yesterday when I did it.

So all went ok, no new noises and its running full synthetic now so Im happy. My new K&N air filter will be here on monday and a tune to follow from AED.

Dont fear the oil change from all the e-hype. And for the record, I have been standing on the throttle on this car since mile 1, and its seems to have really liked the hard break-in. Im getting 114mph trap speeds at the track bones stock, and realistically your trap speed is your proper measurement of how fast your car is.

:rolling:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Nice! I heard form a guy the other day that had some major issues when changing his oil sooner than recommended on first change. Glad to see your experience was a good one.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Mine had the tick for a while after I changed the oil, took a 1200 mile trip and seems to have gone away.

cobra1718

Established Member
there seems to be "the sky is falling" attitude on the 2011 forum from some. Glad to hear about your good fortune.

Erick

Established Member
there seems to be "the sky is falling" attitude on the 2011 forum from some. Glad to hear about your good fortune.

This is so true.....

I changed my oil at 5K with the factory motorcraft oil without any complications. I may go to Mobile 1 at 10k.

chuckstang

Established Member
Do you guys have crazy bucking issues when you start driving after start up if you dont let it idle for a minute or 2?

I didnt recall this prior to oil change but have noticed it ever since.

Doesnt seem to care if the car has been sitting over night or was only shut off for 10 minutes. Either way, the car has to idle for an oddly high amount of time before you can drive off without the car feeling like it is going to rocket into something while you get going in 1st.

most noticeable in parking lots etc...

This car seems to idle really low(600rpms) and if you try and drive off with it idling any higher than this, you get a very bumpy bucking ride at first!

dynasty_365

Established Member
Yea I had that issue. Don't know why it would do that sometimes. Rpms would surge some too. Wouldn't do it when I go in reverse but soon as I shift to go forward it'll buck for a second or two. Give it some gas it's fine but if u just cruise it bucked :-/

scott_0

Established Member
Nice! I heard form a guy the other day that had some major issues when changing his oil sooner than recommended on first change. Glad to see your experience was a good one.
LOL what sort of major issues? I switched over to Mobil 1 at 700mi and I havent had a single issue, no tapping, no ticking, no oil burning......

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
edit: Removed as SicShelby 09' feels that my input has no value.....

Last edited:

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
16k miles, two oil changes with M1(soon to be three), no ticks, weird noises, or any other oddities.

Don't let the vocal minority scare you, the people having problems with these cars are few and far between and there seems to be some correlation to those with problems and those who did their first oil change absurdly early. I did my first at 5k and have had zero issues.

Do you guys have crazy bucking issues when you start driving after start up if you dont let it idle for a minute or 2?

I don't have issues with bucking, but sometimes after a cold start, my RPMs will go up and down between 1500 and 2000 for no reason, immediately after I put it in gear. It doesn't bother me enough to take it to the dealer as it only does it occasionally and only for 10 seconds or so when it does and then it's fine.

kevinp

Established Member
Mine started ticking when I changed the oil (5w20 motorcraft) when it had 1200 miles on it. It was very pronounced, but of course you listen for things more after you do an oil change, kind of like a door ding that seem to get larger AFTER you notice it the first time.

Didnt stop me from bolting a blower on it, the 'ignitor tick' has made a comeback once in a while though. Its a little harder to hear since the 47lb injectors that came with the blower are pretty loud, but I havent noticed it since the last oil change with 5W30.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
It would cost Ford about 25 cents per car to place a decal on the oil filler cap that says "special break in additive, do not change oil nbder 5000 milles" or just add it to manual.

I doubt there is any special additive, but I dont doubt some air could get into the oil galleys or perhaps a hydraulic lash adjuster or VCT component gets a little damaged on a dry start after an oil change.

Either way just because it didnt happen to you it doesnt mean it cant happen to someone else. Just like paint flaws..

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread