First oil change done at 6K miles and...............

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
edit: Removed as SicShelby 09' feels that my input has no value.....

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
:shrug: I don't get it? Your thread title is as dramatic as a day time soap opera and I am the one starting something..? Maybe I should just delete my input and forget about trying to help. I can tell you that if someone told me not to change my oil before 5k miles because "it may or may not" cause an issue.... then I wouldn't have done it.

All it takes is 2 seconds to click on the thread and read my post that the sky is indeed NOT falling like everyone thinks it is. You are more than welcome to delete your posts. In fact I would love it if you would.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I had the problem. My saga is well documented on ALLFORDMUSTANGS.

My tick was there the minute I left the lot. They also put an additive into my car, and that additive took the sound away immediately. Problem was, it came back with each oil change.

My long story short? I have a new engine and settlement from a lemon lawsuit. This tick (which I labeled the "ignitor tick," cause it sounds like you are pushing the ignitor button on your grill or hot water heater) is REAL. It is loud enough to hear 50 feet from the car.

BTW, when the new engine was shipped, it had no oil in it. While I used to think there was validity to the theory that Ford was using the additive at the factory, I'm not sure now -- especially since my first engine ticked from the get go.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
All it takes is 2 seconds to click on the thread and read my post that the sky is indeed NOT falling like everyone thinks it is. You are more than welcome to delete your posts. In fact I would love it if you would.

I have edited my input but you have quoted me multiple times. Very interesting that you don't like input being that I have gone through this but o'well.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I had the problem. My saga is well documented on ALLFORDMUSTANGS.

My tick was there the minute I left the lot. They also put an additive into my car, and that additive took the sound away immediately. Problem was, it came back with each oil change.

My long story short? I have a new engine and settlement from a lemon lawsuit. This tick (which I labeled the "ignitor tick," cause it sounds like you are pushing the ignitor button on your grill or hot water heater) is REAL. It is loud enough to hear 50 feet from the car.

BTW, when the new engine was shipped, it had no oil in it. While I used to think there was validity to the theory that Ford was using the additive at the factory, I'm not sure now -- especially since my first engine ticked from the get go.

Sucks to hear, but definately know what you went through. Unfortunately, the OP won't care that we can provide real world input of what CAN happen. :nonono:

scott_0

Established Member
Ive posted it every Mustang forum Im on, early oil changes have nothing to do with the tick, there is no mystery additive, and an early oil change sure as hell isnt going to cause you to need a new long block, my car had a tick the day I drove it home, it runs beautifully otherwise therefore Im not losing sleep over it..............some people just sit back and look for problems. and oh by the way, the tick that was there when I bought my car with 85mi on it which I assume had the mystery break in additive still in it, when I changed to Mobil 1 with 700mi on the car, the tick has since disappeared LOL

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Ive posted it every Mustang forum Im on, early oil changes have nothing to do with the tick, there is no mystery additive, and an early oil change sure as hell isnt going to cause you to need a new long block, my car had a tick the day I drove it home, it runs beautifully otherwise therefore Im not losing sleep over it..............some people just sit back and look for problems. and oh by the way, the tick that was there when I bought my car with 85mi on it which I assume had the mystery break in additive still in it, when I changed to Mobil 1 with 700mi on the car, the tick has since disappeared LOL

edit ... nevermind.

SicShelby, are you going to delete my quotes in your responses?

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Just to clear the air, I am not on the 5.0 Bashwagon nor am I promoting any negative thoughts against it. Throughout my process, I have not publicly said one word in a thread about it..... on her or any other site for that matter.

I just get twisted when people chime in and say that it is not possible. I initially thought the same thing, but my opinion changed when it happened to me.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I work at Ford and the funny thing is the people that have never had a mustang before, are the ones that are worried and question if the car is going to break on them because of the bad following of people the 5.0 has gotten and tsb's that have been released. 75% of the concerned customers have never owned or driven a mustang previously, and the 25% that have question stuff they heard and leave it at that. The rest are like me who have owned mustangs before and laugh at how picky and anal these new customers are. People who complain about the engine "ticks" or trans shift issues should own a older 4.6 that have ticks as well, or drive cars with 3650's that whine or T56's that are notchy. I see a lot of people crying about delivery dates as well which is just sad and funny at the threads they make about it. Unfortunately the new following the 5.0's have brought have really hurt its reputation. As a mustang owner if you cant handle some squeaks or rattles, or a little engine noise or effort to shift, sell the car and go buy a Prius

Not to side track your thread Brian lol, but had to vent a little.

Last edited:

DKING89

Established Member
I work at Ford and the funny thing is the people that have never had a mustang before, are the ones that are worried and question if the car is going to break on them because of the bad following of people the 5.0 has gotten and tsb's that have been released. 75% of the concerned customers have never owned or driven a mustang previously, and the 25% that have question stuff they heard and leave it at that. The rest are like me who have owned mustangs before and laugh at how picky and anal these new customers are. People who complain about the engine "ticks" or trans shift issues should own a older 4.6 that have ticks as well, or drive cars with 3650's that whine or T56's that are notchy. I see a lot of people crying about delivery dates as well which is just sad and funny at the threads they make about it. Unfortunately the new following the 5.0's have brought have really hurt its reputation. As a mustang owner if you cant handle some squeaks or rattles, or a little engine noise or effort to shift, sell the car and go buy a Prius

Amen.

kevinp

Established Member

A lot just has to do with the internet, and people who are new to cars in general, be it a Focus or a BMW forum some will find all kinds of things wrong. Car forums and LS1s came about strong around 1999 and people found all kinds of things to bitch about, mosty younger guys who never turned a wrench and were looking for video game ease to building a 10 second car.

Mine was a ticker after the first oil change, I have been working on and racing cars for over 30 years and after I read about the dreaded 'ignitor' tick on the forums I thought 'no way.' Well it started ticking minutes after I started it up using motorcraft 5w20 and a motorcraft filter at 1200 miles.

I didnt bother going to dealer, although it was pretty annoying going through a Taco Bell drive through I gave it some time and it eventually went away. But it does make a comeback every once in a while which leads me to believe that it may have been there since day one but I just didnt notice it since I bought the car in December and didnt have the windows down much. Or its just something that comes and goes.

I have changed the twice since at 3500 and 7000 miles, at 3500 miles using 5w20 motorcraft oil it started ticking for a while again. Last change I used 5w30 mobile one extended and I havent noticed the tick in a while. Most likely it will come back when I try to sell it lol.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Never had a single problem after my first oil change, but i waited for the on-board computer to tell me. I've been doing that ever since. No problems here. Using motorcraft oil filter, and 5w20 motorcraft oil from wally world.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
When I did my first oil change (around 1500 miles) I did pickup the tick, but it went away on it's own a few weeks later. I've got just over 10k miles on it now, and the noise has never returned.

There is just one thing I don't understand about all the folks freaking out over the engine tick when you change the oil. That is, what's your alternative? Never change the oil? Now there's a good idea. If you change the oil the first time, and the engine ticks, it ticks. Give it some time, mine cleared up on it's own, yours might too. If it doesn't clear up, visit the dealer. The alternative is just dumb.

Turbosixx

Established Member
Changed mine @ 2500 miles to Amsoil 10w30, no tick. I agree with the previous post, if it ticks oh well. There's no alternative to changing the oil. As long as its not a bearing knock, I'm not worried about it.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member

Very well said.

Sure, my car has a few annoying quirks. Nothing that's a hill to die on and nothing I'd bother to take it to the dealer for. A speaker rattles. Big deal. The auto tranny does some strange stuff occasionally. No biggie. On the other hand, you have a lot of these '11+ GT owners who are neophytes when it comes to cars, this is their first Mustang, and they bitch a blue streak every time something seems the slightest bit out of wack. Newsflash, you bought a domestic performance car! If you want BMW quality, you should have paid another $30k and bought a BMW.

Additionally, as a whole, it amazes me how clueless some of these guys are when it comes to cars. If I had a dollar every time I saw a "Yeah, I've been driving around down three quarts on oil for the past 4k miles because I don't even know how to check my own oil on a regular basis" thread, I'd be driving a GT500.

It's crap like this that made me leave a certain other Mustang forum. I couldn't take the constant bitching and complaining about things that for the most part, didn't need to be bitched and complained about.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member

Okay, so I'll vent a little.

I love when the fanboys jump on to defend their baby. Look, folks have real problems -- quit trying to attack the accuser because you don't want people saying something bad about your precious car. There is way too much out there about the problems to discount it.

Wait, maybe you're right. I got a brand new engine and a pay out from settlement because I was too picky and Ford thought, "Well, that's okay."

The arrogance of some people to think they know what someone else is experiencing from a million miles away.

EDIT: I should say that I still own my car and still enjoy it. I have owned previous muscle cars, including Mustangs. Yet, I had problems. Wrap your mind around that.

Last edited:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member

Thank u man. Im a ford mechanic too. No one believes me that we havent had any issues. i love mine. Its a bunch of guys buying mustangs thinking its the cool thing to do. This is the best mustang i have owned to date. People should drive these older stangs like u said. Its unreal. Glad someone is on the same wave length. Thanks 4 posting

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Again just trying to help, but I think that most don't even know what this "tick" is. Mine was not audible until slightly under load (1000-2000 rpm), sounded more like a rattle, and could not be detected at idle. Like Kevin, mine showed up immediately after my oil change at 1600 miles. I find it interesting that people want to tell me it didn't happen or couldn't have.

Last edited:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
A lot just has to do with the internet, and people who are new to cars in general, be it a Focus or a BMW forum some will find all kinds of things wrong. Car forums and LS1s came about strong around 1999 and people found all kinds of things to bitch about, mosty younger guys who never turned a wrench and were looking for video game ease to building a 10 second car.

Mine was a ticker after the first oil change, I have been working on and racing cars for over 30 years and after I read about the dreaded 'ignitor' tick on the forums I thought 'no way.' Well it started ticking minutes after I started it up using motorcraft 5w20 and a motorcraft filter at 1200 miles.

I didnt bother going to dealer, although it was pretty annoying going through a Taco Bell drive through I gave it some time and it eventually went away. But it does make a comeback every once in a while which leads me to believe that it may have been there since day one but I just didnt notice it since I bought the car in December and didnt have the windows down much. Or its just something that comes and goes.

I have changed the twice since at 3500 and 7000 miles, at 3500 miles using 5w20 motorcraft oil it started ticking for a while again. Last change I used 5w30 mobile one extended and I havent noticed the tick in a while. Most likely it will come back when I try to sell it lol.

I love all these guys asking how much HP mufflers will give them or the mail order tunes. Who would have thoughts years ago u could get a tune without a dyno lol. i would rather have a dyno myself.

we now have people bringing in cars claiming its the issue they read about on the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread