First Drive 2017 Raptor

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
You must've been hung or something. The last Hemi Ram I drove was a real dog compared to the instant torque the EcoBoosts offer. That 3.5 from any year is a stout engine. The 2017s with the GenII 3.5 with all the additional low end will be ungodly.

I've got my fingers crossed for a position I'll be interviewing for next week that offers a huge pay increase and substantial car allowance. If I get it I'll have to weigh the feasibility of one of these new Raptors for a company car.

*hungover. Haven't figured out how to edit posts on this new forum software from my mobile devices yet...

silverstang23

Established Member
They look sick. Ford has outdone themselves. Can't wait for one to be sitting on my local dealer lot. The mustang is getting the boot

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Any weight numbers. I'm guessing the new Raptor will weigh less too!

I haven't seen anything concrete yet.

Some say ~500lbs, but then there was some talk of it not being as light due to reinforcement/beefier suspension etc.

Definitely should be under 6k for the Screw is my guess.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
And that's peak torque. I imagine the torque increase throughout the rpm band is a lot more usable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But how could a v6 have a better torque range than a v8?????

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
But how could a v6 have a better torque range than a v8?????

I'm assuming that was sarcasm aimed at making fun at the v8 or nothing crowd, lol. Hard to tell through the internet.

That being said, I would love to see what an updated 6.2 could do. Aluminum block and heads, modern architecture, DI, etc. Especially since its "shared" with the super duty lineup.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
That being said, I would love to see what an updated 6.2 could do. Aluminum block and heads, modern architecture, DI, etc. Especially since its "shared" with the super duty lineup.

Uh, the 6.2 is modern architecture. It just needed a forged crank and performance cams.

You can keep your shitting DI.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Uh, the 6.2 is modern architecture. It just needed a forged crank and performance cams.

You can keep your shitting DI.

Its an old SOHC design. Needs to be DOHC and DI to have a chance at having comparable torque improvements and better fuel economy.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Its an old SOHC design. Needs to be DOHC and DI to have a chance at having comparable torque improvements and better fuel economy.

Chevy also needs to ditch those Dinosaur push rod V8s. lol how do they think they can compete?!!!

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

Not trying to discredit the 3.5TT(like the engine and easy modding ability) but I still am curious how well the 6.2 would do in a lighter truck and a 10 speed.

I remember all the hype over the 6.2L, about boring/stroking it out to 4XX CI potentially making a lot of power NA.
I think Livernois was the only reputable builder for heads/cams/6.6L, but I'm sure a lot of Gen 1 owners just found it easier to make HP by just supercharging it.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Not trying to discredit the 3.5TT(like the engine and easy modding ability) but I still am curious how well the 6.2 would do in a lighter truck and a 10 speed.

I remember all the hype over the 6.2L, about boring/stroking it out to 4XX CI potentially making a lot of power NA.
I think Livernois was the only reputable builder for heads/cams/6.6L, but I'm sure a lot of Gen 1 owners just found it easier to make HP by just supercharging it.

I think the engine has tons of potential left in it if Ford would update it. They are going full speed ahead on the ecoboost mantra though. Well, at least until EPA testing no longer gives small displacement small turbo motors an advantage on the dyno testing.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Carbon build up is an issue, and the fuel systems are expensive, but it allows for higher compression ratios, which helps increase torque. Which DOHC engines could use a little help with. DI also allows for greater fuel efficiency to pass EPA standards.

If you want V8s to stick around, you gotta warm up to the technology. Ford is starting to do DI and port injection combinations to mitigate/eliminate carbon buildup issues.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
And everyone bitches about the DI and it's resulted and many engine failures.

Direct Injection is a garbage system. Period.

DI caused engine failure on GM? How? They are better for emissions and better running engine. Cost is definitely a lot more.

Carbon build up is an issue, and the fuel systems are expensive, but it allows for higher compression ratios, which helps increase torque. Which DOHC engines could use a little help with. DI also allows for greater fuel efficiency to pass EPA standards.

If you want V8s to stick around, you gotta warm up to the technology. Ford is starting to do DI and port injection combinations to mitigate/eliminate carbon buildup issues.

Carbon build up is that that big of an issue. Also the 17+ f150 including Raptor has dual injection, PI and DI.

That truck dyno was stock, wait till they just add some boost to it. The Raptors have better turbos than regualr f150.

Users who are viewing this thread