First Drive 2017 Raptor

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Interesting. With all the hate around some of dodges 8 speeds, I thought this would be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because it is a Chrysler product vs a Chevy/Ford. Chrysler products have some of the worst transmissions I have ever experienced, and on new cars at that! Transmissions that feel broken from the factory. There's a very good reason FCA is circling the toilet bowl.

jtkz13

Established Member
I know on the regular F150's you can disable the auto start/stop by putting the truck into Tow/Haul mode, maybe Sport mode too?

I'm sure the Raptor is probably the same.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Ford has really gone off the deep end with their pricing of this truck.

There is no way in hell an f-150 of any variant should clear $70k. o_O

That's more than a hellcat charger, a few more grand you can buy a Z06, or a barely used SRT viper. Not to mention you could buy a well equipped diesel f350.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

That's more than a hellcat charger, a few more grand you can buy a Z06, or a barely used SRT viper. Not to mention you could buy a well equipped diesel f350.
I'll respectfully disagree.

They'll sell the hell of them at $70k. I sold mine to another dealer for $74k and the had an MSRP of $69k and change.

The Raptor has held its value better than any Ford vehicle, besides the FGT, in past 20 years. 2014s with less than 30k are still selling for damn near their original MSRP.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

They'll sell the hell of them at $70k. I sold mine to another dealer for $74k and the had an MSRP of $69k and change.

The Raptor has held its value better than any Ford vehicle, besides the FGT, in past 20 years. 2014s with less than 30k are still selling for damn near their original MSRP.

I don't disagree that they will sell everyone of them cause there seems to be a huge market of more "more money and brains" blue oval loyalist. Same thing with the GT350s.

My argument is the truck isn't physically worth that. An f-150 isnt worth viper $$$ in mind. Rather have a platinum f-250 for that. At least then i could tow a house or a 3 car wedge.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

I don't disagree that they will sell everyone of them cause there seems to be a huge market of more "more money and brains" blue oval loyalist. Same thing with the GT350s.

My argument is the truck isn't physically worth that. An f-150 isnt worth viper $$$ in mind. Rather have a platinum f-250 for that. At least then i could tow a house or a 3 car wedge.

I'm glad you agree these Raptor owners have money AND brains.

These raptors are absolutely worth every penny, if you are into off roading. You could not build a truck that could match it in every category for that money. If you built one for less, its going to sacrifice a lot in several areas.

If you have never been interested in leaving the pavement, then yes there are other options that may fit your lifestyle better for the same price.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

It's worth what they charge.

These raptors are absolutely worth every penny, if you are into off roading. You could not build a truck that could match it in every category for that money. If you built one for less, its going to sacrifice a lot in several areas.

If you have never been interested in leaving the pavement, then yes there are other options that may fit your lifestyle better for the same price.
+1

That's why I went the F250 route instead.

blk02edge

Established Member

On the other hand, if being offroad is a huge part of your trucks life for the same money you can build something far superior that still has all the creature comforts. Minus warranty, maybe. I would never in a million years pay that money for a '17.

blk02edge

Established Member

why are raptor prices starting at 51k on ford build and price?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
On the other hand, if being offroad is a huge part of your trucks life for the same money you can build something far superior that still has all the creature comforts. Minus warranty, maybe. I would never in a million years pay that money for a '17.

Not for the same price. Raptor isn't just shocks and a tune away from a ecoboost F-150.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

good catch on my typo, but no, that's not what i meant. LOL

Take off the fanboy glasses for a second. A 2016 mustang GT cost about $35k. You seriously think the components/materials of the raptor justifies the price of TWO mustangs? Serious?

The MSRP of a 2017 supercrew f150 with 4x4, 10spd auto and ecoboost 3.5L is $39k. Another $30k is a huge jump in content in my mind. Would have to be a completely unique powertrain at minimum. Just my 2 cents..

Dont get me wrong, if the market will bear $75k or even $100k by all means, seeing as how im a ford share holder. Sucks for the enthusiast though.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
why are raptor prices starting at 51k on ford build and price?

Here's my window sticker. I was taught to go big or go home.

The MSRP of a 2017 supercrew f150 with 4x4, 10spd auto and ecoboost 3.5L is $39k. Another $30k is a huge jump in content in my mind. Would have to be a completely unique powertrain at minimum. Just my 2 cents.

That would be the most base F-150 Crew I've seen haha A lot of the XLT's have an MSRP of $50k.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-5_13-0-22.png
    upload_2017-1-5_13-0-22.png
    452.7 KB · Views: 144

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
good catch on my typo, but no, that's not what i meant. LOL

Take off the fanboy glasses for a second. A 2016 mustang GT cost about $35k. You seriously think the components/materials of the raptor justifies the price of TWO mustangs? Serious?

The MSRP of a 2017 supercrew f150 with 4x4, 10spd auto and ecoboost 3.5L is $39k. Another $30k is a huge jump in content in my mind. Would have to be a completely unique powertrain at minimum. Just my 2 cents..

Dont get me wrong, if the market will bear $75k or even $100k by all means, seeing as how im a ford share holder. Sucks for the enthusiast though.

If you were an enthusiast and wanted a truck that could run off road faster than anything available with a warranty, this isn't a bad deal. You can have a crew cab that will comfortably seat 4 or 5, with sync, power and heated leather, with 4.10s for $56k. That's a very nice truck, hell, it's comparable to my dads old 2010 Platinum in features and price, the major difference is one of them can complete the Baja 1000.

All the extras that push the truck to $70k are there for the guys who want a truck that competes with a 5 series in terms of extras.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
If you were an enthusiast and wanted a truck that could run off road faster than anything available with a warranty, this isn't a bad deal. You can have a crew cab that will comfortably seat 4 or 5, with sync, power and heated leather, with 4.10s for $56k. That's a very nice truck, hell, it's comparable to my dads old 2010 Platinum in features and price, the major difference is one of them can complete the Baja 1000.

All the extras that push the truck to $70k are there for the guys who want a truck that competes with a 5 series in terms of extras.

$56-$60k range is ok for this truck value wise.

$75k realm is insanity. There arent $15k worth of creature comforts on the build and price website. Unless i missed the 5.8L trinity option.

blk02edge

Established Member
Not for the same price. Raptor isn't just shocks and a tune away from a ecoboost F-150.
I am quite aware of what a raptor is and what its competition can be as I've been around/in that specific industry for years lol. And yes, you can easily build a comfy new f-150 with a full rogue racing kit that would simply destroy a raptor offroad and still have enough ammenities for anyone other than the queen of england. If you are more dedicated to offroad and know what you are doing, it IS the way to go. You guys would be suprized at how fast a raptor will end up at crawl speed on an actual offroad course compared to a truck built with long travel 3.0 coilovers/bypasses and hydro bumps. Personally I would buy an F-150 sport 2.7EB with rogue's stage 16 kit. The extra power between the 3.5 hi-power and 2.7eb is literally insignificant offroad unless in sand dunes.

The raptors 3.0 IB coilovers are really only a 2.5 becuase thats what happens when you try and condense a coilover and bypass into a single shock. The old raptor (by my standards) was piss poor offroad, the new one is certainly an improvement.

All that being said, I do understand why the raptor exists and I do like the truck, its just not the be all end all of offroad and not the consumers only option.

At the actual base price it seems good, but at these 70k+ prices. Its simply not good. Up here in Canook land they are 50-60k more than you can get a nicely optioned sport or FX4 for.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Considering the full Rogue racing kit for an F-150 is over $24k, plus install if you can't do it yourself, your not talking the same price range, trim levels being equal.

And then you still don't have the traction control settings, or power levels of the raptor if those are important to you.

Yes, I understand that good suspension can more than make up for a little lack of power.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
You also don't have the upgraded frame.

You probably lose road manners, too.

The raptor could absolutely be better, but its still great at all things, including driving around town. An aftermarket kit on an F-150 isn't going to match how well rounded the raptor is.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I am quite aware of what a raptor is and what its competition can be as I've been around/in that specific industry for years lol. And yes, you can easily build a comfy new f-150 with a full rogue racing kit that would simply destroy a raptor offroad and still have enough ammenities for anyone other than the queen of england. If you are more dedicated to offroad and know what you are doing, it IS the way to go. You guys would be suprized at how fast a raptor will end up at crawl speed on an actual offroad course compared to a truck built with long travel 3.0 coilovers/bypasses and hydro bumps. Personally I would buy an F-150 sport 2.7EB with rogue's stage 16 kit. The extra power between the 3.5 hi-power and 2.7eb is literally insignificant offroad unless in sand dunes.

The raptors 3.0 IB coilovers are really only a 2.5 becuase thats what happens when you try and condense a coilover and bypass into a single shock. The old raptor (by my standards) was piss poor offroad, the new one is certainly an improvement.

All that being said, I do understand why the raptor exists and I do like the truck, its just not the be all end all of offroad and not the consumers only option.

At the actual base price it seems good, but at these 70k+ prices. Its simply not good. Up here in Canook land they are 50-60k more than you can get a nicely optioned sport or FX4 for.

Are you talking new trucks? Just trying to compare MSRP to MSRP, a similarly equipped F150 with that suspension system is going to be over 70K before installation.

The more I poke around at this, if you equip a Raptor and a regular F150 to similar levels (as close as you can) the price of the Raptor goodies is about $13K. That doesn't really seem like a bad deal, you get the clever 4x4, drive modes, suspension, 75hp/40tq more and "the name," which helps substantially with resale.

Users who are viewing this thread