First AR! Good brand? Good deal?

nxhappy

Established Member
My buddy, who runs a local gun shop, has a Diamondback DB15 5.56 with a Vortex Optics red dot and 100 rounds of PMC X-tac for $675 out the door. I'm just looking for something to have fun with and shoot occasionally as there's a shotgun for home defense. Opinions, thoughts?

that rifle will be perfectly fine. Go for it.

Equalbracket

Established Member
I have a rock river 308 bush xm15 and picked up an ruger 556 mpr which was $499 from outdoor and it’s an absolute fantastic gun very fun to shoot and easily the most for the least.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
It kills me to see some of you guys buying rifles that cost about the same as my trigger. Unless it's a throwaway, I can't see why you would buy something so cheap.

Edit: I dont mean that to sound so snobby. I just think that you get what you pay for. I can't see something that inexpensive actually being of reasonable quality, reliable and lasting any length of time.

Reminds me of "Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick 2."

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It kills me to see some of you guys buying rifles that cost about the same as my trigger. Unless it's a throwaway, I can't see why you would buy something so cheap.

Edit: I dont mean that to sound so snobby. I just think that you get what you pay for. I can't see something that inexpensive actually being of reasonable quality, reliable and lasting any length of time.

The way I see it, the uppers and lowers have been mostly perfected at this point. We have the ability to make them at home and they are pretty reliable so buying one from a company that actually uses high quality machining equipment probably isn't going to screw up the basic construction of the upper/lower. After that you can exchange out any parts you dont like that are lower quality like the triggers, barrels, buttstock, etc. Most of the expensive rifles are just taking the legwork out of exchanging those parts or are modifying the upper and lower for a fancier look and finish.

I have seen rifles fully custom built with the newest and best parts simply not work. I dont think you can really go wrong with the platform from any manufacturer unless you are buying from a company that just has poor QC. Personally, I would rather have a middle of the road rifle that works reliably and that I can drag through the mud and rocks and not worry about beating up my $3k AR when shit goes down. The only way my rifle will exceed a $3k plus build is when I throw an Elcan Spectre on it. Just my .02 on that one.

Orange95

Reality is only as far as you can see
Established Member

You aren't being snobby. Some people just don't know better because, "mil-spec".

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
For me, different roles, different uses. Right now I have two all purpose rifles but different calibers. Ideally I would like an SBR for clearing and something that can reach out at least a thousand yards. I think you would probably need 3 different rifles to fulfill every needed role in a combat scenario, but it really depends on your personal needs and environment.

I have fun when I shoot but I also always train when I shoot.
1 SAW and a 338 Lapua will handle just about anything. A Glock 10mm with a 9mm for backup handles up close and personal targets.

If you run out of ammo, a K-bar is a great tool to have.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
You aren't being snobby. Some people just don't know better because, "mil-spec".

I think there may be a little truth to that. I think you can spend a lot of money on Mil Spec as well as precision AR's. However, most people new to the platform don't understand that the mil spec AR they just bought is a 1.5 MOA (aka minute of man) weapon, absolute best case. They don't know that it was made to run regardless of the conditions its exposed to. Then they can't understand why they are shooting 2.5" groups at 100 yards.

But that kind of breaks away from what I am thinking. I mean, you can get a fantastic, precision bolt action rifle that shoots 3/4 or even 1/2 minute MOA for $500. Savage Arms is a great example of a company that make quality, inexpensive precision rifles. That doesn't mean you can get a precision DI AR15 based weapon for $500.

If people are doing what @svtfocus2cobra mentioned, I suppose that could be a decent starting point. Trouble is, most people I know that buy a cheap base AR usually don't mod it, get pissed and sell it 3 months later.

Anecdotal, I know... but there it is.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
1 SAW and a 338 Lapua will handle just about anything. A Glock 10mm with a 9mm for backup handles up close and personal targets.

Agreed. A 249, 240, or anything automatic are a must in a combat zone, but without the ability to have full auto you dont have the single most important capabilities of the guns that make them useful. And the only thing different I would do different from what you said is I would just rock a 9mm. I want that round capacity!

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member

We think a lot a like. I put together a kit like you mentioned. Likely my kid will use it, not me... but it's a pretty sweet vest/pack LBE setup.

RPR 6.5 folds into a scarab. Either 16" M4 clone or 300 BO with a 9" bbl. SIG P226 Legion in 40 SW with a 9mm spring and barrel so it can run with with a quick swap. Full-tang Winchester with a 5.5" blade.

Of course, all the other goodies too. Med kit, hydro pack, tool kit, compass, actual waterproof topo maps of this area, etc.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I think there may be a little truth to that. I think you can spend a lot of money on Mil Spec as well as precision AR's. However, most people new to the platform don't understand that the mil spec AR they just bought is a 1.5 MOA (aka minute of man) weapon, absolute best case. They don't know that it was made to run regardless of the conditions its exposed to. Then they can't understand why they are shooting 2.5" groups at 100 yards.

But that kind of breaks away from what I am thinking. I mean, you can get a fantastic, precision bolt action rifle that shoots 3/4 or even 1/2 minute MOA for $500. Savage Arms is a great example of a company that make quality, inexpensive precision rifles. That doesn't mean you can get a precision DI AR15 based weapon for $500.

If people are doing what @svtfocus2cobra mentioned, I suppose that could be a decent starting point. Trouble is, most people I know that buy a cheap base AR usually don't mod it, get pissed and sell it 3 months later.

The point I was trying to make I guess is that a $500 rifle will work, but you can make it a whole lot more enjoyable if you mod it or just spend a little more to get something with at least a good quadrail, barrel, and buttstock. Personally, I dont recommend to any of my friends or students that asked me what to buy to spend less than a grand on a rifle and to preferably look in the $1200-1500 range. From my experience that will get you a really good rifle that you wont ever need to change but you can if you want to.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
The point I was trying to make I guess is that a $500 rifle will work, but you can make it a whole lot more enjoyable if you mod it or just spend a little more to get something with at least a good quadrail, barrel, and buttstock. Personally, I dont recommend to any of my friends or students that asked me what to buy to spend less than a grand on a rifle and to preferably look in the $1200-1500 range. From my experience that will get you a really good rifle that you wont ever need to change but you can if you want to.

I would agree with all of that.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Agreed. A 249, 240, or anything automatic are a must in a combat zone, but without the ability to have full auto you dont have the single most important capabilities of the guns that make them useful. And the only thing different I would do different from what you said is I would just rock a 9mm. I want that round capacity!
In a combat situation most people can convert a semi auto into an auto. It only takes a little gunsmith knowledge.

Orange95

Reality is only as far as you can see
Established Member

I agree on 1/2 minute being nice for a factory bolt rifle. It's less than desirable for my taste, but it's a feat nonetheless.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
In a combat situation most people can convert a semi auto into an auto. It only takes a little gunsmith knowledge.

You can, but I have seen when that isn't done properly and the person overdoes it. I mean, unless you dont mind expending your entire mag in one go basically lol.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
We think a lot a like. I put together a kit like you mentioned. Likely my kid will use it, not me... but it's a pretty sweet vest/pack LBE setup.

RPR 6.5 folds into a scarab. Either 16" M4 clone or 300 BO with a 9" bbl. SIG P226 Legion in 40 SW with a 9mm spring and barrel so it can run with with a quick swap. Full-tang Winchester with a 5.5" blade.

Of course, all the other goodies too. Med kit, hydro pack, tool kit, compass, actual waterproof topo maps of this area, etc.

You need to move to a nicer neighborhood.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
You can, but I have seen when that isn't done properly and the person overdoes it. I mean, unless you dont mind expending your entire mag in one go basically lol.
That's easy to do also.

My brother said he preferred his rifle to be semi instead of burst while deployed. One shot, one kill, and less time reloading.

He is a Marine. He knows how to obey simple commands, drink beer, chase women, and kill stuff. Do not take this advice without spending time on Parris Island. Marines are conditioned to act, not think. Thinking will more than likely get you killed. Thinking later will have you asking how you were not killed.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Inside my house my 870 reigns supreme over anything else I have. If I empty that and need more, I will likely go to a sidearm. If I need to act outside of my house for any reason, an AR is going to be my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread