First AR! Good brand? Good deal?

Kiohtee

Established Member
My buddy, who runs a local gun shop, has a Diamondback DB15 5.56 with a Vortex Optics red dot and 100 rounds of PMC X-tac for $675 out the door. I'm just looking for something to have fun with and shoot occasionally as there's a shotgun for home defense. Opinions, thoughts?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
There are so many options in the AR world at this point it is overwhelming. I have always had good luck with CMMG though. They have been around a long time, their rifles are solid and have always ran perfect for me, and they are pretty middle of the road. Not cheap but not over the top expensive either. They have always been my go-to workhorse rifles.

Rainier Arms is a good place to shop too. I have been shopping with them since they were just a small online store and the guys who run it are good dudes who know their guns. They dont sell cheap guns but everything they carry is top notch. If you find something you like on there then it's a safe bet it will be a good purchase.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
@BrunotheBoxer

@OETKB

OP I’m in the same position I’m waiting till around the holidays too see if any deals can be had. I was leaning to a S&W MP Sport 2 if I don’t see any deals. Sportsman outdoors or some place like that has them cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
My buddy, who runs a local gun shop, has a Diamondback DB15 5.56 with a Vortex Optics red dot and 100 rounds of PMC X-tac for $675 out the door. I'm just looking for something to have fun with and shoot occasionally as there's a shotgun for home defense. Opinions, thoughts?
Is it something that you feel that you just have to have now?
Black Friday deals are coming....
That being said, I wouldn't buy it for that price.
There are all kinds of instructions over at AR15.com about how to build your own. AR's are like LEGO's, parts are interchangeable and you can switch items as your tastes change.
You can get a lower for $39 (+$20 FFL fee)+lower parts kit $39+barrel $99 (good quality)+$39 upper + $9.99 upper build kit + $49 free float handguard/barrel nut + $10 gas tube + $15 gas block +$39 iron sights = $359. Plus you would get the bonus of understanding exactly how it works. My wife built her own AR15.
Otherwise, I have found three websites in 5 minutes that you can pick up a base AR15 for $399 + FFL fees (if you order online). There will be even better sales coming....

PC03GT

Established Member
20180414_133724_zps8vagkqtq.jpg

Here is my home defense a VEPR 12, but for an AR Smith & Wesson MP is nice

Blackoyote

Established Member
Sign up for Palmetto State Armorys daily deal news letter and keep your eye out for their stupid cheap stripped lower deals (also check Aero's blemished section...they're made in the same factory, but I like their lowers better).

After you get a blemished stripped lower for $50, keep your eye out for a rifle kit from them that has the looks that you want (quad rail, key mod, m-lok, etc) and at the length/caliber you want. This kit will come with all the lower parts kit (trigger group, mag release, bolt catch, etc) and the buffer/spring/stock, and a completely assembled upper.

Assemble your lower (basic hand tools can be used, but an armorers wrench for $12 makes it easier), and snap on your upper...this will allow you to have a basic understanding of how the lower operates.

If you get frisky and want to learn more, build your own upper that you can interchange with said lower.

*EDIt* That said, the 'deal' your buddy is giving you isn't really a deal, just prices you'd pay for the 3 of those things online combined. And it's not a bad little setup if you really don't want to mess with building one...I'd still buy a complete blemished PSA rifle over a DB though.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
@BrunotheBoxer

@OETKB

OP I’m in the same position I’m waiting till around the holidays too see if any deals can be had. I was leaning to a S&W MP Sport 2 if I don’t see any deals. Sportsman outdoors or some place like that has them cheap.

Seriously?
gun.deals (search engine that compiles the daily firearms related deals) (they even have an app). Radical Firearms has amazing deals every year also. I have one of their 50 Beowulf uppers and love it.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Sign up for Palmetto State Armorys daily deal news letter and keep your eye out for their stupid cheap stripped lower deals (also check Aero's blemished section...they're made in the same factory, but I like their lowers better).

After you get a blemished stripped lower for $50, keep your eye out for a rifle kit from them that has the looks that you want (quad rail, key mod, m-lok, etc) and at the length/caliber you want. This kit will come with all the lower parts kit (trigger group, mag release, bolt catch, etc) and the buffer/spring/stock, and a completely assembled upper.

Assemble your lower (basic hand tools can be used, but an armorers wrench for $12 makes it easier), and snap on your upper...this will allow you to have a basic understanding of how the lower operates.

If you get frisky and want to learn more, build your own upper that you can interchange with said lower.

Lowers (stripped) can be had for $39 right now.
I would also recommend doing a little searching as there are companies that supply lower build kits for prices Palmetto cannot even touch and they are same quality.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
@BrunotheBoxer

@OETKB

Sorry pal. Ar’s are not my game. I don’t even own one.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Lowers (stripped) can be had for $39 right now.

After shipping it's $50 :)

Though I prefer to get mine a few at a time when they run the deals where you get a pistol and a few lowers for $300 shipped. Most recently I got a Ruger LC9S, (2) blem AR15 lowers, and one blem 308. Can't beat that shit. They've been running a similar one with PT111G2s here lately.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
After shipping it's $50 :)

Though I prefer to get mine a few at a time when they run the deals where you get a pistol and a few lowers for $300 shipped. Most recently I got a Ruger LC9S, (2) blem AR15 lowers, and one blem 308. Can't beat that shit. They've been running a similar one with PT111G2s here lately.

I have seen $39 shipped. My FFL charges $20 per...so we are talking about the same price. My only suggestion would be if you EVER want to run suppressed, invest in a QUALITY adjustable gas block. It truly makes a difference when you do stupid pistol builds with large calibers.

CV355

_
Established Member
Black Friday deals are coming....

This. I nabbed some ridiculous deals on BF on 2014- we're talking up to 60% off actual prices.

The DB15 deal isn't terrible, but you can definitely get better.

gun.deals | Guns and Ammo Search Engine and Gun Deals

Also, PSA stuff isn't bad, but it's a dime a dozen. Just like it was stated in the suppressor thread, you won't honestly notice a massive difference from one brand to another with similar mil-spec builds.

To an extent, it doesn't matter what you buy if the trigger is crap. I'm willing to bet money that any competent shooter will do better with a low-end AR with a high-end trigger than a high-end AR with a low-end trigger. Believe me on that.

Users who are viewing this thread