Finally, got some drag radials! Nitto NT05Rs

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
After one year of absolutely loving my NT05s in 315 35 17, which held 620 ish rwhp really damn well on warm concrete (2nd gear on, no 1st gear), and after having abused these tires after my e85 conversion with #s in my sig, I am about to officilally put on my 1st set of drag radials ever on this car. I don't expect them to last long, but you gotta pay to get the power to the ground.

I got the nitto NT05Rs (heat cycled) from Matt @ DTD.....315 35 17s. The rubber strip on the drag radial version is much wider that the street tire version, as you can see in the pics below. Treadwear is 00, so much stickier than the infamous 555rs.

Will report back after getting them mounted this weekend. I am not a drag racer, these are for street traction. I will never drag this car, so sorry for those of you who want track data, you're gonna have to look elsewhere!

I am not worried about the clutch or IRS, as I have already upgraded to a zoom twin disk Factor 2 (after murdering the stock clutch) and have done Bruce's IRS delrin/aluminum bushing kit. Not doing any 5000 rpms dumps, so hopefully the half shafts play fair.

Enjoy the pics, my dig cam died, so the newer pics were taken with my cell.

Street tire NT05s mounted last year in March: (255 40 17s fnt, 315 35 17 rear)

DSCN3802.jpg

DSCN3804.jpg

comparison between the nt05 street tire vs nt05R drag radial taken today, notive the drag radial has much more rubber on the ground.

Photo-0077.jpg

Photo-0078.jpg

Photo-0079.jpg

Photo-0080.jpg

Photo-0081.jpg

Last edited:

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
Those are good looking tires. Let us know your road test results.

I'm surprised you only got one year out of the NT05's. How many miles did you put on them.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Those are good looking tires. Let us know your road test results.

I'm surprised you only got one year out of the NT05's. How many miles did you put on them.

i have almost 5000 miles on them. they are only 6/32 tread depth brand new. the whipple @ 21 psi doesnt help matters much either!

They still have some life in them, but as you can see from the pics, they are worn quite a bit.

liedenfrost

Established Member
I just mounted a set of NT05R on 10.5" replicas. I took the car out this weekend, but took it easy....basically heat cycling them. I need to burn out the old tank of gas before getting into boost. I'll let you know how they compare to the 555R's I had installed previously.

I can say that they will get flat spots quickly. I thought I had flat tire! They were on the car for about a month.

Last edited:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
did you heat cycle them properly? i.e. do your burnout, make a quick pass, then park the car. jack it up and let the tires hang free for a day or 2? If you didnt do that, then i can see how they would flat spot easily..... or did you just put them on the car and let it sit for a month?

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Eric, you definitely drive yours more than Kevin..LoL. 5k miles is pretty good for the NT05 considering your power level. These are the tires Im leaning more towards and with my power level they may last a little while longer. If you can hook in 1st with these new DR's, many Cobra owners will be converting from the 555r's.

kcpgt2002

Established Member
the nt05 is the best dry traction tire on the market imo.
I ran a 245/45/18 nt05 on the back of my gt and it would sometimes hold 330whp in first with 4.10s

I cant wait to try the new drag radial version.

Jefe

Established Member
I got 7500 miles out of my NT05's before nails got to them. Mine were in better shape than yours too just some FFT for those interesting in running either

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
I got 7500 miles out of my NT05's before nails got to them. Mine were in better shape than yours too just some FFT for those interesting in running either

the nt05 tires, are the most awesome dry traction tires available (for a street tire). I actually only have 4500 miles on mine now that i think about. I have never done a burn out nor dragged the car.....but they are worn down cause the whipple is brutal on them! i expected that....and was very happy with them performance wise. I just need more traction, and the DRs should get me there.......650 + rwtq is a killer!

Last edited:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Eric, you definitely drive yours more than Kevin..LoL. 5k miles is pretty good for the NT05 considering your power level. These are the tires Im leaning more towards and with my power level they may last a little while longer. If you can hook in 1st with these new DR's, many Cobra owners will be converting from the 555r's.

yeah bro i do drive more often than the infamous 04sleeper, but only once every 2 weeks or so. I like to put a 100 miles or so on her at a time...love crusing in her. I drive about 4500 miles a year, currently just clicked 29000 miles last weekend. gotta keep her away from her "30th" birthday for a while though!

I am getting them mounted tomorrow (they are done heat cycle curing today).....i will test out this weekend and advise shortly! i really just want 2nd gear back........and if i can get me some outta 1st...ill be ecstatic! :rockon:

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Ya these look softer which should make them even better. Get some vids!!

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Ya these look softer which should make them even better. Get some vids!!

04sleeper wants to make a burnout video of me, to kill whats left of the nt05s off, but i will keep them in case i decide to take a small trip in the car....no reason to annihilate the DRs by driving excessive miles on them....

By the way, get a whipple.....and you will get no where near 7500 miles with those nt05s! I hope to get 2K out of the DRs

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
more pics.....and an observation. the nt05Rs measure out to be a hair over 1/2" wider than the nt05 street tires.

nt05 left / 05R right

Photo-0090.jpg

Photo-0083.jpg

Photo-0084.jpg

Photo-0085.jpg

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Looking good brother! :rockon:

Can't wait to see how they do.

Warm roads herewe come! :thumbsup:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Well today got some miles on the new DRs. 04 sleeper and I went out for a few pulls and short cruise. Was running around today with tire pressure @ 28 psi. Full tank of E85, and Kevins additional mass. Did not do any burnouts to get em hot or sticky, but these tires are very sticky as is.

1st gear (on concrete): Holds well, but still spins at around 10 psi. I expected this.
2nd gear (on concrete) : I'll be damned, they 99% hooked. A little tire scratching going on but I am ecstatic!!
3rd gear : Whoa nelly! I got my 1st taste of drag radial softer sidewalls.....she was swaying a bit at the top of 3rd....once again, i expected it....and the traction I now have is a very welcome change!

Overall, given the amount of torque I'm hitting these tires with....I give em 2 big thumbs up! I have not tried any other DRs before, but these meet and satisfy my expectations. I can imagine with 20 or so psi on a prepped track with a good burnout, they would be half shaft killers........but since I'm a street only guy, I am very pleased with this purchase. Money well spent!

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Had a good time today bro. Car is pulling hard! :rockon:

I think this will be my next set of tires.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Had a good time today bro. Car is pulling hard! :rockon:

I think this will be my next set of tires.

Likewise bro...always a good time! I just wanted my 2nd gear back (after being ripped away from me after the e85 conversion).....and you saw, it held really well. Driving home from your place today, the car really felt "glued" to the highway..... so the tires get the "04sleeper stamp of approval"....that says something!

To those of you who question the width.....these are WIDE. They bulge on my 10.5s, unlike the 555Rs. Nitto did us right by these tires....and i do recommend them given my limited street time on em.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
those look awesome. i definitely need to find out how to get a set of them.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Its quite easy to get a set. Call Matt @ DTD. the 315 35 17s were 186 / tire. And he will hook you up on a sweet deal for heat cycling as well.

wow thats a great deal. do you have his contact info?

Users who are viewing this thread