Finally, got some drag radials! Nitto NT05Rs

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Just got my NT05R's installed today. They are 275/40/17's on a stock rim.

Here's my review:

With the tires at 40psi, I dumped the clutch at 5k....and I think I got whiplash! They almost dead hooked, there was a minor amount of wheelspin but dramatically less than my 555R's. Freeway driving was interesting though. Reason being, the sidewalls are much softer than the 555R's so when I get on it in 3rd from a roll the rear end sways a bit.

Bottom line, these ****ers HOOK.

These were only $330 shipped to my door and another $30 to mount and balance them (165$ per tire total). So for $360 I think I found the new drag radial of choice. I HIGHLY recommend these tire to anyone.

Would you mind snapping a few pics from the rear and posting them? Do these tires seem wider that a typical 275-40?? I looked at a car the other day with the 275 MT DR and they appeared much wider than my 275 Fulcan street tires. Please post your opinions of them if you should get caught in wet weather. I want a set of these but I'm concerned about getting caught in the rain and making it home in 1 piece.

Jefe

Established Member
They have almost the same size water channels as the NT05s and no where have I found anyone complaining about wet traction. They are very stable

VADER*

*the original
Established Member
I just got my tires today, 275 NT05Rs, not installed, they are about 10.75" wide.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks for the review but 40psi lol. U gotta wheelhop or snap halfshafts with that high of pressure.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
These were only $330 shipped to my door and another $30 to mount and balance them (165$ per tire total). So for $360 I think I found the new drag radial of choice. I HIGHLY recommend these tire to anyone.

Where did you buy them from to get that kind of price??!!

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
I ran anywhere from 26-29 psi on my NT05's daily driving and they always felt great. Bring it down below 30 and see how much better they hook plus the ride will be a little softer. I cant believe he read the max pressure on the tire and wanted to set it that high

I waited almost 2 1/2 hours just to get them mounted and balanced. At that point, I was so pissed that I just wanted to get out of there. I should have paid more attention I guess.

Would you mind snapping a few pics from the rear and posting them? Do these tires seem wider that a typical 275-40?? I looked at a car the other day with the 275 MT DR and they appeared much wider than my 275 Fulcan street tires. Please post your opinions of them if you should get caught in wet weather. I want a set of these but I'm concerned about getting caught in the rain and making it home in 1 piece.

Yea, I'll snap some pics tomorrow. They do seem to be wider than my 555R's did but I can't say if they are any wider than a 275 street tire since I have no reference. As far as wet performance, I hope to never find out. When it rains, the car goes in the garage. I've never had much confidence with a DR in the rain.

Where did you buy them from to get that kind of price??!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW-Nitto...sQ5fAccessories

wjk

Established Member
Can we get some more shots of it? Maybe a rear end shot and a side shot? Thanks!

Ralo

Established Member
Just got my NT05R's installed today. They are 275/40/17's on a stock rim.

Here's my review:

With the tires at 40psi, I dumped the clutch at 5k....and I think I got whiplash! They almost dead hooked, there was a minor amount of wheelspin but dramatically less than my 555R's. Freeway driving was interesting though. Reason being, the sidewalls are much softer than the 555R's so when I get on it in 3rd from a roll the rear end sways a bit.

Bottom line, these ****ers HOOK.

I'm not really sure that I believe you almost dead hooked on the street but I guess it's always possible. You on IRS still? I run my Toyo TQ's at like 16-18psi on the street lol.

To the OP you said they were heat cycled. What do you mean by that?

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
I'm not really sure that I believe you almost dead hooked on the street but I guess it's always possible. You on IRS still? I run my Toyo TQ's at like 16-18psi on the street lol.

To the OP you said they were heat cycled. What do you mean by that?

LOL, I should have put an asterisk next to dead hooked. This was on a street that had A LOT of rubber laid down on it from street racers. So it's not an every day kind of road.

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
Looks like you have some traction now Erik... It must feel good not to waste that crazy corn power you're making !!!

99BlownVert

Established Member
I want to get some of these for my mach 1 but I am just worried about tread life and traction in the rain, I guess I will have to hold out for more reviews before I pull the trigger!

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Tires look great, love the tread design! Maybe when my Hoosiers wear out eventually I'll try these.

Youre making 705/655 and you have 2nd back? Thats insanely impressive. Wait till the weather/roads warm up!!!

No shit, I have a hard time getting full traction in 2nd with my 335 Hoosiers at 550/550ish unless they are real hot.

dlaude

Established Member
OP any experience with GS-D3s? Toyo Proxes R888? I don't want a DR but am looking for a new tire and all I have to compare to are GSD3s and the stockers (which were pretty miserable). Just looking to see how the two mentioned above measure up with the NT05s.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Tires look great, love the tread design! Maybe when my Hoosiers wear out eventually I'll try these.

No shit, I have a hard time getting full traction in 2nd with my 335 Hoosiers at 550/550ish unless they are real hot.

These bad boys hooked 2nd with a full tank and another 240 lb passenger.

OP any experience with GS-D3s? Toyo Proxes R888? I don't want a DR but am looking for a new tire and all I have to compare to are GSD3s and the stockers (which were pretty miserable). Just looking to see how the two mentioned above measure up with the NT05s.

Yes. Had gsd3s in 315 35 17, they were ok for a 280 treadwear tire. As for the toyo r888s, ask me after this weekend!

Photo-0160.jpg

Photo-0153.jpg

the NT05 street tires i had hooked better than gsd3s period. The NT05R drag radial is in a whole new class. Sadly, just sold my 17s and all tires.

I am installing 18" oem replicas this weekend with 255 35 18 / 315 30 18 toyo r888s

Last edited:

ATFPat

Established Member
I was debating a Mickey thompson dr in the rear but I have no idea what to put in the front or in the rear?!?!??

Jefe

Established Member
The NT05R drag radial is in a whole new class. Sadly, just sold my 17s and all tires.

I am installing 18" oem replicas this weekend with 255 35 18 / 315 30 18 toyo r888s
How many miles did you get out of the NT05Rs before you sold them? Any reason you didnt go with them again?

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
How many miles did you get out of the NT05Rs before you sold them? Any reason you didnt go with them again?

I had 200 miles on them. they dont make a 315 30 18 in nt05Rs, that is why i didnt go with them. if i had kept my 17s, the nt05Rs would be my DR of choice

Users who are viewing this thread