Finally got my moto license, now choosing a first beginner bike?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Well,
The Navy paid for my $200 course to learn to ride and I just updated my TX driver’s license today. Now, what bike to choose? First time rider, only ATV’s riding before, no real street riding. I plan to ride it in the neighborhood for a while as the highway is not ready for ol Leo. I am looking for a reliable bike that I can learn on, obviously not a $17k 1200 CC bike or Hyabusa like my buddies suggested a 5’5” beginner rider should buy. I have heard good stuff about the Honda Shadows, Yamaha V stars, and small Harleys. Something under $3k that I don’t mind dropping because like i Said, I am still very new and don’t want to drop a brand new bike obviously. The course was a blast And I never thought I would like riding but I do. Eventually I want a nice street bobber/iron 883/etc …something To chill and cruise on…nothing crayy. I know we have riders in here…any advice would be awesome.
Insurance, gear, maintenance, etc info would be awesome as well.

Leo

stanglife0419

Established Member
I started on an 07 Yamaha FZ6 with no riding experience other than the MSF, and I thought it was an excellent beginner bike. I actually loved it so much I went back to one after owning a few other bikes.

Suzuki SV650s tend to be very popular first bikes as well, although I don't have any experience personally with them.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Honestly something cheap for a few months like a DRZ400 is perfect to me when people ask. Very easy to ride and get the "feel for" and they arent expensive at all and you can mod them to no end.

nxhappy

Established Member
To be honest, a ninja 250 is what you really need. Especially since you have never been on the road. You can't fine one for $1500. Don't listen to the guys that say "you need a 600RR". Those bikes are still fast as ****, and WILL get you in trouble. The ninja 250 or 500 will be light enough for you, and the power band won't be as snappy. Once you learn on the ninja, you can step up to a 600RR. Always ALWAYS wear full gear. Boots, pants, jacket, gloves everything. Check out cycle gear if you haven't already. Main thing to remember: You are INVISIBLE. No one can see you, and they don't give a ****. Never ride in a car's blind spot. Always distance yourself. Always have an escape route. Be aggressive and stay alert. Never drink and ride, even one beer can alter your movement. Also, be gentle on that front brake until you get used to it. Last thing you want to do is grab a hand full of tittes (front brake) ....you will go flying over. GOOD LUCK ! :coolman:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I had the same experience you did and went with an 848 for my first bike. It's all on you man. How responsible you feel you are and how good of a driver you are also. How alert you are as a driver and risks you take translates a lot into what kind of rider you will be.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
To be honest, a ninja 250 is what you really need. Especially since you have never been on the road. You can't fine one for $1500. Don't listen to the guys that say "you need a 600RR". Those bikes are still fast as ****, and WILL get you in trouble. The ninja 250 or 500 will be light enough for you, and the power band won't be as snappy. Once you learn on the ninja, you can step up to a 600RR. Always ALWAYS wear full gear. Boots, pants, jacket, gloves everything. Check out cycle gear if you haven't already. Main thing to remember: You are INVISIBLE. No one can see you, and they don't give a ****. Never ride in a car's blind spot. Always distance yourself. Always have an escape route. Be aggressive and stay alert. Never drink and ride, even one beer can alter your movement. Also, be gentle on that front brake until you get used to it. Last thing you want to do is grab a hand full of tittes (front brake) ....you will go flying over. GOOD LUCK ! :coolman:

This is solid advice especially since you're new to bikes. Hitting the brakes too hard or cracking the throttle when you're leaned and shouldn't will be much more forgiving on a bike like this. Give it a few months and you can upgrade if you're comfortable; you won't lose any money if you buy a used one.

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
My stepmom got a V-star 250 as her first bike. When she quit, I took it just because then I wouldnt have to buy a new bike. I enjoyed it for around town- most smaller bikes are singles, the star is a twin so its got some torque to it. Will do 70 too (wouldnt for long, but enough that I could hop a couple exits down the highway). For 1500, its a nice, pretty new bike.

If you dont mind tinkering, spend 800 on a older honda, suzuki, or yamaha 4-500. decent power, not so much youll be dead, and not so little you lack it once you get used to riding.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
-Make sure you call around for insurance. I went with State Farm (who also has my vehicles) and it was considerably cheaper then competitors.

-ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) it is easier to wipe off sweat or bring a extra shirt then to go down with little to no gear. Helmet/jacket/gloves is a must then add boots and pants as budget allows.

-Also look for open parking lots to practice. Neighborhoods are great, but you have vehicle and people traffic to consider

-The bike choice is also dependent on what you want to eventually get. It seams you want more of a cruiser any small one would be fine. Jap bikes are usually super easy to work on and ultra reliable. Anything with a more upright sitting position are also great and very comfortable. I quickly found out how much better a standard bike is over a sport bike. Also don't start on a 600 or larger sport bike. Yes, you can learn safely, but you learn much faster and better on the smaller bikes.

-Be careful. Bikes are amazing fun, economical, and easy to use. You just have to be mindful of your surroundings at all times. There is no reason to be rushed by those around you. I commute on mine almost every day because I am proactive about my safety. I don't take chance. I don't make risky maneuvers. I don't speed. I avoid other traffic like the plague. I stay visible as much as possible. Might seem boring reading it, but I get home safely and still enjoy my time on the bike

nxhappy

Established Member
-ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) it is easier to wipe off sweat or bring a extra shirt then to go down with little to no gear. Helmet/jacket/gloves is a must then add boots and pants as budget allows.

This is probably most important. I see idiots all the time. Tank top, flip flops, shorts etc. Squids make real ugly road meat, I'll say that...

west08

Established Member

X2 for this info. I started on a 1983 Honda Shadow. It was fine for a starter bike but was the biggest POS I've ever owned. I regretted not getting a Ninja 250 for a starter bike. Buy it for $1500 and sell it for what you paid 6 months/ year later. Its your first bike, not your last.

DGladhill

Established Member
I had a Honda Shadow 1100 as my first bike and it was nice. I really only picked it up though because it was $1500 and the bike was in great condition :thumbsup:

Machdup1

Established Member
I had the same experience you did and went with an 848 for my first bike. It's all on you man. How responsible you feel you are and how good of a driver you are also. How alert you are as a driver and risks you take translates a lot into what kind of rider you will be.

+1

SHOdown220

Established Member
I know a lot of people start on big fast bikes and that's their choice. I myself started on a 2012 cbr 250r. It was so easy to learn on and so forgiving I got really good at riding that thing. I put 14000 miles on it in just over 6 months. I absolutely loved riding it. Not to mention it was cheap, $4000 new, 75 mpg and runs on 87 octane. Full coverage insurance was like $27 a month. I would ride all day long on my days off. I was so good on that thing on the tight twisty roads my friends with the bigger bikes couldn't keep up, they were too scared to push their big fast bikes. It's a slow bike don't get me wrong but it will do 75+ on the interstate just fine. Just remember it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow.

I eventually got rid of it for a 600rr for a brief time then to a 2013 harley iron 883 then to my current 2014 low rider. The iron is a fun bike to ride around town but really terrible for long trips.

Branhammer

Established Member
I don't see anything wrong with a 600 unless you're just a dumbass and don't have any respect for the power. My first bike was a 2007 Suzuki SV650S. It's a sport bike with a 650cc v-twin engine that you would normally find in a standard bike or cruiser. Not as fast up top as a true sport bike but still damn fast (low 12's in the 1/4) and gobs of low-end torque.

Again, it was my first bike and I never had issues because I respected the power and didn't do all the dumb shit that gives sport bikers a bad name. My only problem with a 250 is that as soon as you feel comfortable on a bike you are going to hate how weak it is and want to trade up immediately. That won't happen with a 600 or a 650. Just respect the power and don't be stupid.

08mojo

Established Member
My wife is trying to sell her CBR250. She got it with the intentions to ride, but was never confortable...the bike has 160 miles on it, and I put on most of the miles:rolleyes:. Wish you were local.

If you truly want a beginner bike, the 250's are great. I absolutely love riding her bike around town--it's very comfortable and very light. It is much more enjoyable to take around town than my gsxr600--on the highway, that's a completely different story!

Users who are viewing this thread