Finally got my moto license, now choosing a first beginner bike?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I started on an 07 Yamaha FZ6 with no riding experience other than the MSF, and I thought it was an excellent beginner bike. I actually loved it so much I went back to one after owning a few other bikes.

Suzuki SV650s tend to be very popular first bikes as well, although I don't have any experience personally with them.
i will check this out and see what i can find. yamaha seem very reliable from what i read on reviews.

Honestly something cheap for a few months like a DRZ400 is perfect to me when people ask. Very easy to ride and get the "feel for" and they arent expensive at all and you can mod them to no end.
awesome, yeah i def need neighborhood time and really become more confident. the 2 days were fun but its nowhere near enough to go out and buy something crazy like some of the students did. one guy already had a harley and no experience when he signed up lol...really?
To be honest, a ninja 250 is what you really need. Especially since you have never been on the road. You can't fine one for $1500. Don't listen to the guys that say "you need a 600RR". Those bikes are still fast as ****, and WILL get you in trouble. The ninja 250 or 500 will be light enough for you, and the power band won't be as snappy. Once you learn on the ninja, you can step up to a 600RR. Always ALWAYS wear full gear. Boots, pants, jacket, gloves everything. Check out cycle gear if you haven't already. Main thing to remember: You are INVISIBLE. No one can see you, and they don't give a ****. Never ride in a car's blind spot. Always distance yourself. Always have an escape route. Be aggressive and stay alert. Never drink and ride, even one beer can alter your movement. Also, be gentle on that front brake until you get used to it. Last thing you want to do is grab a hand full of tittes (front brake) ....you will go flying over. GOOD LUCK ! :coolman:
yeah everyone is like get a busa bro....really? my other buddy was telling me the insurance is significantly higher on sport bikes but i will keep my eye out on cl for a ninja. my instructor said he uses a ninja 250 as his go to bike lol my gear will be on, i saw my buddy wipe out at 5 mph and he got ****ed up in the parking lot....gear for me, that alone was enough for me to decide. instructor told us to get visible clothing and gear since no one will see or care for you on the road. probably wind up with a white full face helmet....i'm trying to live llol
I had the same experience you did and went with an 848 for my first bike. It's all on you man. How responsible you feel you are and how good of a driver you are also. How alert you are as a driver and risks you take translates a lot into what kind of rider you will be.
found an iron 883 on cl, 2011 guy wants $4500 but he said it need brakes and tires. similar 883s are $7400 and up. as much as i don't want to spend that much its a newer bike and 12k miles. i my go "look" at it today lol . buddy came by with his 1100 shadow and that thing was heavy!
Sounds like you want a small cruiser? Suzuki Savage\S40. Perfect small simple cruiser for a shorter dude.
will check this out too, thanks!
This is solid advice especially since you're new to bikes. Hitting the brakes too hard or cracking the throttle when you're leaned and shouldn't will be much more forgiving on a bike like this. Give it a few months and you can upgrade if you're comfortable; you won't lose any money if you buy a used one.
buddy wiped out on a turn pretty nasty. they kept telling us DO NOT BRAKE IN THE TURN. sure enough he grabbed a handful and ate shit. toes bruised up, road rash on his arm, and back all crashed up to. like yep....need some gear.
My stepmom got a V-star 250 as her first bike. When she quit, I took it just because then I wouldnt have to buy a new bike. I enjoyed it for around town- most smaller bikes are singles, the star is a twin so its got some torque to it. Will do 70 too (wouldnt for long, but enough that I could hop a couple exits down the highway). For 1500, its a nice, pretty new bike.

If you dont mind tinkering, spend 800 on a older honda, suzuki, or yamaha 4-500. decent power, not so much youll be dead, and not so little you lack it once you get used to riding.
buddy came by and he started breaking down the bike and i felt a lot more confident....he's like " just imagine a car with everything visible for maintenance and easer to get to for the most part." he said don't be afraid of working on it since you work on your cars all the time, its basically the same thing, which it appears to be. def. gave e a lot more confidence that he came by.
Yamaha FZ6R, detuned R6 engine.
will look at
-Make sure you call around for insurance. I went with State Farm (who also has my vehicles) and it was considerably cheaper then competitors.

-ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) it is easier to wipe off sweat or bring a extra shirt then to go down with little to no gear. Helmet/jacket/gloves is a must then add boots and pants as budget allows.

-Also look for open parking lots to practice. Neighborhoods are great, but you have vehicle and people traffic to consider

-The bike choice is also dependent on what you want to eventually get. It seams you want more of a cruiser any small one would be fine. Jap bikes are usually super easy to work on and ultra reliable. Anything with a more upright sitting position are also great and very comfortable. I quickly found out how much better a standard bike is over a sport bike. Also don't start on a 600 or larger sport bike. Yes, you can learn safely, but you learn much faster and better on the smaller bikes.

-Be careful. Bikes are amazing fun, economical, and easy to use. You just have to be mindful of your surroundings at all times. There is no reason to be rushed by those around you. I commute on mine almost every day because I am proactive about my safety. I don't take chance. I don't make risky maneuvers. I don't speed. I avoid other traffic like the plague. I stay visible as much as possible. Might seem boring reading it, but I get home safely and still enjoy my time on the bike
thanks man! yeah there's a couple of empty spot around my area so i will be utilizing them if i can to get better on turns, maneuvering, etc. the parking lot was ok at school but you can only do so much ya know? buddy that came by was really helpful and told me he doesn't mind helping at all since he loves to ride. i have known him a long time so he's been really helpful this far. gear will be on for me, i don't care how hot it is. after seeing my body wipe out slow and limp away i was like damn!
This is probably most important. I see idiots all the time. Tank top, flip flops, shorts etc. Squids make real ugly road meat, I'll say that...
i see this too, like really? minimal clothing on a hot day....all you need it to catch some gravel and its wipe out time. some gy died on the hwy this past weekend and wife flipped out. i told her "did you read the article? guy was flying down the hwy doing tricks according to witnesses". none of that for me lol
X2 for this info. I started on a 1983 Honda Shadow. It was fine for a starter bike but was the biggest POS I've ever owned. I regretted not getting a Ninja 250 for a starter bike. Buy it for $1500 and sell it for what you paid 6 months/ year later. Its your first bike, not your last.
good info, thanks!
get the new kawaski h2r, they are great for beginners :pop:
will look at as well.
I had a Honda Shadow 1100 as my first bike and it was nice. I really only picked it up though because it was $1500 and the bike was in great condition :thumbsup:
tried my buddies and the 1100 is way to heavy for me. he's about 225 and taller than me so he's like "its not that bad bro"... while my feet were dangling lol
I know a lot of people start on big fast bikes and that's their choice. I myself started on a 2012 cbr 250r. It was so easy to learn on and so forgiving I got really good at riding that thing. I put 14000 miles on it in just over 6 months. I absolutely loved riding it. Not to mention it was cheap, $4000 new, 75 mpg and runs on 87 octane. Full coverage insurance was like $27 a month. I would ride all day long on my days off. I was so good on that thing on the tight twisty roads my friends with the bigger bikes couldn't keep up, they were too scared to push their big fast bikes. It's a slow bike don't get me wrong but it will do 75+ on the interstate just fine. Just remember it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow.

I eventually got rid of it for a 600rr for a brief time then to a 2013 harley iron 883 then to my current 2014 low rider. The iron is a fun bike to ride around town but really terrible for long trips.
awesome! yeah i found an 883 on cl orange and black 2011 with 12k miles. guy said it was never dropped but he doesn't ride it anymore. he barely budged to $4500 and it was pulling teeth. as much as i don't want to spend that much it looks like its cared for and its pretty new. similar 883s go for $7400 so i'm considering it. he's not in a rush and it does look cared for but i will swing by today and see it. i won't be doing any long trips soon so i'm good but riding is def a perishable skill so if I'm not practicing especially as a beginner i will def lose everything i learned.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I don't see anything wrong with a 600 unless you're just a dumbass and don't have any respect for the power. My first bike was a 2007 Suzuki SV650S. It's a sport bike with a 650cc v-twin engine that you would normally find in a standard bike or cruiser. Not as fast up top as a true sport bike but still damn fast (low 12's in the 1/4) and gobs of low-end torque.

Again, it was my first bike and I never had issues because I respected the power and didn't do all the dumb shit that gives sport bikers a bad name. My only problem with a 250 is that as soon as you feel comfortable on a bike you are going to hate how weak it is and want to trade up immediately. That won't happen with a 600 or a 650. Just respect the power and don't be stupid.
true, i don't know anyone with a 600 to give a spin with, buddy has one but its newer and i'm not trying to drop it lol. i get what you mean though, hell maybe i should try and see the weight, power of 600 though. just e cautious and alert.
My wife is trying to sell her CBR250. She got it with the intentions to ride, but was never confortable...the bike has 160 miles on it, and I put on most of the miles:rolleyes:. Wish you were local.

If you truly want a beginner bike, the 250's are great. I absolutely love riding her bike around town--it's very comfortable and very light. It is much more enjoyable to take around town than my gsxr600--on the highway, that's a completely different story!
mail me the bike! lol buddy got a ninja years ago and barely put any miles on it. he ended up selling it after less than 6 mths.....he bought it brand new too :/

08mojo

Established Member
true, i don't know anyone with a 600 to give a spin with, buddy has one but its newer and i'm not trying to drop it lol. i get what you mean though, hell maybe i should try and see the weight, power of 600 though. just e cautious and alert.

The saying, "it's only as dangerous as you make it" goes a long way with me. You have to have good self-control. The problem with a 600cc sport bike is that it is very easy to get into trouble, but it's not an unconscious decision. My GSXR is as docile as can be under normal riding--no surprises, nothing. However, when you spin the engine up and get into the powerband, things happen very quickly! It's much easier to get the bike up to speed than it is to haul it down--by a good margin.

I've ridden dirt-bikes my whole life, and continue to do so, but my GSXR600 was my first (and last) street bike. Just respect what you get, and you'll be fine. If you're serious about riding, understand that you WILL be tired/bored of a beginner bike in a relatively short amount of time.

mail me the bike! lol buddy got a ninja years ago and barely put any miles on it. he ended up selling it after less than 6 mths.....he bought it brand new too :/

Deal! Just give me your address.

Branhammer

Established Member
true, i don't know anyone with a 600 to give a spin with, buddy has one but its newer and i'm not trying to drop it lol. i get what you mean though, hell maybe i should try and see the weight, power of 600 though. just e cautious and alert. /

I would highly recommend a few-years-old SV650S. They are a lot more comfortable for cruising around town than your typical sport bike. Maybe test ride one if you get the chance. Go for a 2008 if you can because that's the first year they did full side fairings and it looks really good. That will run you about $3500. I know you said you wanted to stay under 3k, but this is a bike that you'll be okay with keeping for at least 4 or 5 years before you want to upgrade. Also, parts aren't very expensive. Mine fell over on the trailer when I was moving it a few years ago and broke off the shift peg, the tip of the clutch handle, and bend the left handle bar nub. Got brand new OEM replacement parts for about $100. If it's a few year old and in average condition, you won't be worried about dropping it.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
The saying, "it's only as dangerous as you make it" goes a long way with me. You have to have good self-control. The problem with a 600cc sport bike is that it is very easy to get into trouble, but it's not an unconscious decision. My GSXR is as docile as can be under normal riding--no surprises, nothing. However, when you spin the engine up and get into the powerband, things happen very quickly! It's much easier to get the bike up to speed than it is to haul it down--by a good margin.

I've ridden dirt-bikes my whole life, and continue to do so, but my GSXR600 was my first (and last) street bike. Just respect what you get, and you'll be fine. If you're serious about riding, understand that you WILL be tired/bored of a beginner bike in a relatively short amount of time.

Deal! Just give me your address.
i will send it as a gift! lol
i have a lot of buddies that have gotten in trouble with sport bikes, like ticket after ticket .
I would highly recommend a few-years-old SV650S. They are a lot more comfortable for cruising around town than your typical sport bike. Maybe test ride one if you get the chance. Go for a 2008 if you can because that's the first year they did full side fairings and it looks really good. That will run you about $3500. I know you said you wanted to stay under 3k, but this is a bike that you'll be okay with keeping for at least 4 or 5 years before you want to upgrade. Also, parts aren't very expensive. Mine fell over on the trailer when I was moving it a few years ago and broke off the shift peg, the tip of the clutch handle, and bend the left handle bar nub. Got brand new OEM replacement parts for about $100. If it's a few year old and in average condition, you won't be worried about dropping it.
will look at, thanks!

SHOdown220

Established Member
That's a good price on that iron if it's in good shape. Say what you will about Harley's but they hold value much better than a metric bike. I rode my 13 iron for 13 months, and put 11k miles on it. I paid $8000 for it new and traded if in on my low rider and they gave me $7200 trade value.

phillycobra99

Established Member
My first bike was 02 Honda F4i 600. The bike was plenty fast. I got on it for the first time and dropped it coming into my driveway. I practiced neighborhood roads for awhile until I finally took it on the highway. I had for about a year until some guy pulled out and side swiped me. That was the end of the bike and me riding one.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Hayabusa or R1. Go big or go home :dancenana:

This was the route I took. First bike was a 2001 Aprilia Mille RSV. 1000cc Italian V-Twin. Still miss this bike. Caveat being I had been riding pretty good size dirt bikes for a lot of years with a good education behind me. So I wasn't a total noob and had a lot of respect for it.

n634161716_1238970_7189.jpg

My advice would be start on a 600+. You will outgrow / get bored with a 250 very quickly. Have seen this happen more than a few times. Plus, if you wan't to commute on highways, a 250 can be a bad idea as it will be near its limits just trying to keep up with traffic. A 600 can be docile and easy enough to learn on if you respect it. Plus, it will have plenty of oomph to keep you entertained once you get familiar enough with it to start having fun. Just my .02. Congrats on the license. :beer:

nxhappy

Established Member
whatever you do ....DO NOT buy a new bike. Because it will get scratched at some point.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
The SV-650 or VStrom are probably two of the best bikes in the world

I would consider the SV-650 especially amazing for beginners and can be turned into whatever type of bike you want (race, tour, cafe, ect..)

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
That's a good price on that iron if it's in good shape. Say what you will about Harley's but they hold value much better than a metric bike. I rode my 13 iron for 13 months, and put 11k miles on it. I paid $8000 for it new and traded if in on my low rider and they gave me $7200 trade value.
i went to get see a orange and black 10' iron 883 HD and i really liked it. good size since i'm as shorter guy. owner was 6'2" lol and he was like yup size is good for ya. cool dude, bike looked really well cared for. jumped on and the bike fits, easy to touch the ground, and not very heavy. only down side is everyone saying its a gay little bike lol .
Yamaha FZ-07
will look at
My first bike was 02 Honda F4i 600. The bike was plenty fast. I got on it for the first time and dropped it coming into my driveway. I practiced neighborhood roads for awhile until I finally took it on the highway. I had for about a year until some guy pulled out and side swiped me. That was the end of the bike and me riding one.
oh damn, that's what i am afraid of :/
This is what I started out with. Got mine for about $5000 brand new back in 2007/8

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/new_product/introduction.asp?Cat=RoadSports&model=GT650R&year=2015
never heard of them
This was the route I took. First bike was a 2001 Aprilia Mille RSV. 1000cc Italian V-Twin. Still miss this bike. Caveat being I had been riding pretty good size dirt bikes for a lot of years with a good education behind me. So I wasn't a total noob and had a lot of respect for it.

n634161716_1238970_7189.jpg

My advice would be start on a 600+. You will outgrow / get bored with a 250 very quickly. Have seen this happen more than a few times. Plus, if you wan't to commute on highways, a 250 can be a bad idea as it will be near its limits just trying to keep up with traffic. A 600 can be docile and easy enough to learn on if you respect it. Plus, it will have plenty of oomph to keep you entertained once you get familiar enough with it to start having fun. Just my .02. Congrats on the license. :beer:
oh damn nice bike! total newbie the only thing i have been on are a few ATV's
Hyosung.....LMFAO . Biggest piece of shit .....ever made.
lol
whatever you do ....DO NOT buy a new bike. Because it will get scratched at some point.
i agree, nothing new.

I would consider the SV-650 especially amazing for beginners and can be turned into whatever type of bike you want (race, tour, cafe, ect..)

RC51 or Gen 2 ZX10R
sweet deal, thanks

i checked out a 10' HD 883 and i really liked it but everyone keeps saying its a small bike so i will keep looking. i will stop by the hardly store and get on a few to feel the diff. with them. i got him down to $4500, looks well cared for.

Charlington

Established Member
The larger the bike you start out on the slower you will learn and the less you will learn.
Your first bike is gonna get dropped and banged up so pick something that's inexpensive and easy to fix.
And then there are the people that Turn Left in front of you trying to beat you across the intersection and the people that just don"t see you and there is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid a crash... except beware of intersections and redlight runners. I had a guy look me right in the eye from the left turn lane across the intersection and then tried to beat me across. Bike went into the rear quarter panel and I went over the trunk. Funny, while I was in the air I was thinking "my fiberglass tank is getting crushed!" I didn't get hurt bad but the bike needed a new frame, forks and ya, a tank.
So you will need to keep your bike running llong enough to learn to ride which by the way never stops.

VaporGT

-
Established Member
Any 250cc (CBR, Ninja, etc) bike would be perfect, but be wary, you will probably out-grow it very quickly. A 600cc bike would be a waste since you're looking to get into a cruiser down the road, not a knee-dragging sport bike. Completely different riding styles.

Easiest and cheapest route is the 250cc. When you get comfortable on it (6-8 weeks) just push it off a cliff and get a used street cruiser. That will hold you over until you finally feel the need to buy a $15,000 Harley.

allister

Established Member
My first bike was a GSXR750. I'm glad because I think if I settled for a 250, I would have sold it a lot sooner wanting to upgrade. My spouse is selling their first bike, a CBR600f4i. Looking to get $4k obo. Clean title never been laid down. PM me if you want the ebay link!

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member

Sv650 is the best starter and or best multi purpose bike made...
Plenty power very linear
Comfy
Easy to work on
Mod them to hell... They are the jeeps of moto

Users who are viewing this thread