F-Bombs

hb712

Established Member
I find it difficult to understand why you, with this concession, would want to emulate these people. It's not elitest to feel that there are far better ways to express yourself than by using cursing as senseless filler. To express frustration, fine; when used for the actual meaning of the words, cool; but to litter your speech with pointless vulgarity is asinine, especially if you think it doesn't make you sound unintelligent.

You're making a variety of assumptions about people who use this type of language. At no point did I suggest that any language should be used as "senseless filler" or that speech should be dominated by vulgarity. You may notice that in my concession, which you clearly didn't understand, I cited an extreme type of speech. I said that people with small vocabularies "almost exclusively" use foul language to illustrate their points. In no way have I suggested that anyone should emulate people who cannot convey ideas without swearing.

Your assumptions rest on the misplaced belief that people who swear are somehow below those who do not, in a variety of ways. Beyond that, you've jumped to the conclusion that those of us who have dirty mouths just swear near constantly. If I have misrepresented your beliefs or assumptions, it is only because you have failed to properly convey your true ideas on the subject (and you didn't even use any foul language!).

P.S. Here's a very short list of people I know who swear about as much as I do.

College president
A few partners of large law firms (one named partner)
Pastor with a Ph.D.
Pastor Emeritus, also with a Ph.D.
President of a Fortune 500 company (along with the COO who swears like a sailor)

Last edited:
it has nothing to do with what you watch or listen to.

My roommate in college watched Boondock Saints every night, literally. I still never used foul language.

Its called controlling yourself.

Sure it does. Surround yourself with people who curse all the time and constantly watch movies where people are cursing and listen to music where people are cursing and you'll be pumping that stuff out. When you are being bombarded with that stuff left and right, it will affect you.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Sure it does. Surround yourself with people who curse all the time and constantly watch movies where people are cursing and listen to music where people are cursing and you'll be pumping that stuff out. When you are being bombarded with that stuff left and right, it will affect you.

get in where you fit in, social chameleons....

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
Is it just me or are people more vulgar these days. I deal with mostly 30+ year olds and 75% of the conversations are sailor talk. I'm no prude, but I also believe people can have a civil Convo without dropping an F-Bomb. How do these people get through life talking like that all the time.

Are you one of these people, does it bother you that people talk this way?

Eh, **** it.

REPCobra10

Established Member
I speak very proper and civilized most of the time, but when I'm with friends or other people that just let loose, I can do that too. I'm okay and comfortable to speak civilized or uncivilized with whoever I'm around...

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Unfortunatley I curse more than I'd like to. Bad habit I suppose. I watch my languages in front of elders and children though. I also find it extrememly unattractive if women curse profusley. Once in awhile is OK, but if its every other sentence it bothers me. Weird.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
If you don't want people to assume that you are undereducated, then don't speak like you are. I see no reason to change the level of intelligence with which you communicate simply because you are addressing a different crowd of comparable age and / or maturity, i.e. your friends vs. your colleages. Do you not respect the intelligence of your friends the same as you respect that of your colleages?

Kat I respectfully disagree. A persons choice of diction does not necessarily depict their education level. Derek is an astrophysicist, yet he has a colorful vocabulary. My best friend is a doctor with hopkins, she could make most sailors blush with shame as could some of her colleagues. I work with nearly exclusively graduate and post graduate level education individuals and only one of them does not use colorful metaphors in their speech. Now if you had inferred it's a matter of regional or demographic diction I might be inclined to acquiesce.

Bottom line is we can piss back and forth about this all day and all the educated affluent individuals of svtp can trade fire, but it simply boils down to some people swear and some people don't.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
You're making a variety of assumptions about people who use this type of language. At no point did I suggest that any language should be used as "senseless filler" or that speech should be dominated by vulgarity. You may notice that in my concession, which you clearly didn't understand, I cited an extreme type of speech. I said that people with small vocabularies "almost exclusively" use foul language to illustrate their points. In no way have I suggested that anyone should emulate people who cannot convey ideas without swearing.

Your assumptions rest on the misplaced belief that people who swear are somehow below those who do not, in a variety of ways. Beyond that, you've jumped to the conclusion that those of us who have dirty mouths just swear near constantly. If I have misrepresented your beliefs or assumptions, it is only because you have failed to properly convey your true ideas on the subject (and you didn't even use any foul language!).

P.S. Here's a very short list of people I know who swear about as much as I do.

College president
A few partners of large law firms (one named partner)
Pastor with a Ph.D.
Pastor Emeritus, also with a Ph.D.
President of a Fortune 500 company (along with the COO who swears like a sailor)

:lol: Your accusation of my assumptions is comical. I was responding to the original post of this thread:

Is it just me or are people more vulgar these days. I deal with mostly 30+ year olds and 75% of the conversations are sailor talk. I'm no prude, but I also believe people can have a civil Convo without dropping an F-Bomb. How do these people get through life talking like that all the time.

I think even you would concede that 75% is an indication of speech that is for all intents and purposes "dominated by vulgarity;" hence in that context my 'assumptions' are entirely on point. It amuses me that you are somehow insulted by my comments towards those who use excessive profanity, especially when implying not to do so yourself.

You concede that those who use profanity "almost excessively," which to me is synonymous with "like a sailor," may be in possession of a small vocabulary, yet argue vehimently that this fact should not reflect poorly on one's education level. You can't have it both ways. Don't like the stereotype? Don't reflect it :shrug:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Kat I respectfully disagree. A persons choice of diction does not necessarily depict their education level. Derek is an astrophysicist, yet he has a colorful vocabulary. My best friend is a doctor with hopkins, she could make most sailors blush with shame as could some of her colleagues. I work with nearly exclusively graduate and post graduate level education individuals and only one of them does not use colorful metaphors in their speech. Now if you had inferred it's a matter of regional or demographic diction I might be inclined to acquiesce.

Bottom line is we can piss back and forth about this all day and all the educated affluent individuals of svtp can trade fire, but it simply boils down to some people swear and some people don't.

I have no problem with adult swearing when it calls for it to make a point or to stress it further. We're adults, it happens.

It's the people who can't hold a conversation at all without swearing dropping the Fbomb three times in the same sentence that don't seem to have the intellect she is referring to. If it's the noun, verb and adjective all in the same sentence, chances are you talking to a social retard.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
:lol: Your accusation of my assumptions is comical. I was responding to the original post of this thread:

I think even you would concede that 75% is an indication of speech that is for all intents and purposes "dominated by vulgarity;" hence in that context my 'assumptions' are entirely on point. It amuses me that you are somehow insulted by my comments towards those who use excessive profanity, especially when implying not to do so yourself.

You concede that those who use profanity "almost excessively," which to me is synonymous with "like a sailor," may be in possession of a small vocabulary, yet argue vehimently that this fact should not reflect poorly on one's education level. You can't have it both ways. Don't like the stereotype? Don't reflect it :shrug:

Why you gotta get all fancy ketchup? couldn't just say it was funny :shrug:

troll-troll-face-l.png

20redfire03

Established Member
I know I drop the F-Bomb. Mainly when talking with friends but around my niece and newphew and other small kids I control what I say and when others don't its like com'on man, kids are around. I do slip up at times then again I am human but there is always the time and place for foul language. I barely cus at all in front my family and I would have to be extremely pissed to drop the F-bomb.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I have no problem with adult swearing when it calls for it to make a point or to stress it further. We're adults, it happens.

It's the people who can't hold a conversation at all without swearing dropping the Fbomb three times in the same sentence that don't seem to have the intellect she is referring to. If it's the noun, verb and adjective all in the same sentence, chances are you talking to a social retard.

Precisely, time and a place.

I don't swear in front of my mother or my nieces out of respect however (comma) I always question when someone says "but that's wrong" ok, why?

Users who are viewing this thread